Real interesting viewpoint on the American Civil War

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...6242012/707305
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
The `house divided' part seems uncomfortably close to what we have now, with the big mix of politics/religion, and minimal compromise. I sincerely hope we can find some common ground soon, but I have my doubts - civil wars are never `civil'.

The last paragraph in the article deserves high respect:

"In commemorating the Civil War, we should remember that wars are easily made, difficult to end, and burdened with unintended consequences and unforeseen human casualties. We should also keep in mind that there is no higher law than the Constitution. That is America's Scripture."
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
You got it.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
The `house divided' part seems uncomfortably close to what we have now, with the big mix of politics/religion, and minimal compromise. I sincerely hope we can find some common ground soon, but I have my doubts - civil wars are never `civil'.

The last paragraph in the article deserves high respect:

"In commemorating the Civil War, we should remember that wars are easily made, difficult to end, and burdened with unintended consequences and unforeseen human casualties. We should also keep in mind that there is no higher law than the Constitution. That is America's Scripture."
That is a good post, but it should also be recognised that America has entered into many a conflict in it's history without declaring "war".
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
That is a good post, but it should also be recognised that America has entered into many a conflict in it's history without declaring "war".
I know it's not likely to happen, but, perhaps, with the experience of past entries into undeclared wars, America should reconsider this practice.

(But, where's the money to be made in doing that? )
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,854 Posts
Some important questions to understand why the way?

Which city in the United States had the most millionaires per square mile?

Which side needed the other the most to survive?

Which side actually brought the slaves into the United States to sell?

Which single area still seems to run the United States in almost every sense?

Introspection is good.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:53 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
I thought it was a pretty weak article. It failed to use more than conjecture to support it's main points.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
The people who started the civil war were idiots... they had no idea how to argue or compromise.
Today we are a much more enlightened society.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
I thought it was a pretty weak article. It failed to use more than conjecture to support it's main points.
I didn't think so, it had a lot of truth in it, and for many, perhaps shed some light on why there was no compromise, and how the resulting "freeing of the slaves" really did little for blacks in the south until 100 years later. The war bred resentment in the south of the union, the freed slaves, and showed how even with the slaves free, little was done to enforce their rights, they were never accepted into society in the north or the south, as equals, until the civil rights movement a century later, and the resentment remained and it touched off violence, murder and further isolated the south. A south that remained poor and still remains poorer today. The civil rights movement and the steadfast creed of non-violence from the strongest leader of that movement, MLK, can never be overestimated as to how that served this nation. That could have gone much worse than it did, and it was bad enough.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
In a book I read, "Founding Brothers", the author makes the case that one a major accomplishments of the founders of our country was, by politicking and wheeling and dealing, they put off the inevitable civil war until the country was strong enough to survive it.

I think accepting slavery was the major mistake we made as a nation. The social consequences with be with us for generations to come.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
The people who started the civil war were idiots... they had no idea how to argue or compromise.
Today we are a much more enlightened society.
In whose eyes.....is the big question.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
I would like to hear the compromise for slavery? What kind of compromise would be acceptable? Part time slavery? Maybe an early slavery retirement program?

In the end, slavery was incompatible with modern society. There was no compromise possible. You either have slaves or you don't. The North said no, the South said yes and was willing to rebel for the yes to stand.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,854 Posts
Slavery would have ended under its own weight and the South could have survived without the North. How long could the North have survived without the South?

I have never been a proponent of slavery and do in fact consider it evil. But then at one time in this country you could used opium without a prescription. That was as recently as 1970. Paregoric's formal name was camphorated tincture of opium .
Robitussin A/C and Terpin Hydrate with Codeine both went by the wayside about the same time.

The sad part is that we still have slavery in this country and now it involves sex work instead of back work. How many missing children are now sex slaves to some pervert either here or abroad.

As bad as slavery was, not all were treated cruelly and many were prepared to work independently when slavery ended. Much discussion could take place here and in fact the life of a share cropper was many times not that much different than the life of a slave. When any person intentionally hold down the opportunity of another person by any means, including laws and taxation, their pursuit of happiness is limited and that isn't what we should have been all about.

Anyone other than me ever wonder what the world map would look like if Shaka Zulu had been in control of modern weapons and had access to shipping lanes? Interesting thought. Was he good or bad. He was both. Are any of us much different?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
I would like to hear the compromise for slavery? What kind of compromise would be acceptable? Part time slavery? Maybe an early slavery retirement program?

In the end, slavery was incompatible with modern society. There was no compromise possible. You either have slaves or you don't. The North said no, the South said yes and was willing to rebel for the yes to stand.
I am not convinced the war was even about slavery..
I think that is simply how history wrote it.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
To answer your direct question though, there is no compromise for slavery... there are however, other things to compromise with or give up, to keep slavery at bay.