Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Maiden, sort of...

Did anyone have too tight a top flap hinge gap to get good reflex? I had to actually bevel mine to get it to reflex on one side
Yes, I ended up untaping the hinges, moving the flaps back a bit and retaping the hinges. That way I did not have to cut a new bevel. The trailing edge still lines up...did not have to move it back much at all to get good reflex.

You're gonna love this plane when you get to fly her in more gentle conditions.

And yes, I recommend the stiffer spar above any available modification. You will get crisper roll and pitch response out of it, and a lighter plane to boot.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Congrates, mate. I know what you mean when you say it wasn't relaxing with the wind.

BTW, you won't get weathervaning in flight, only on the ground. Maybe it was a bit of mild sheer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathervane_effect
Didn't do it that much but I did see it seem to wag the tail (yaw) in ways I wasn't causing. I know that at one point I got into the rotor effect near a treeline. Like I said, not ideal for the maiden. I may go back out at 5pm when the winds are supposed to drop under 10mph. I didn't realize the canopy magnet is a press fit, that's fixed. Doing the connectors on the ESC upgrade.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Didn't do it that much but I did see it seem to wag the tail (yaw) in ways I wasn't causing.
Almost certainly the effects of mild turbulence. But it could also be a loose push rod.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Didn't do it that much but I did see it seem to wag the tail (yaw) in ways I wasn't causing. I know that at one point I got into the rotor effect near a treeline. Like I said, not ideal for the maiden. I may go back out at 5pm when the winds are supposed to drop under 10mph. I didn't realize the canopy magnet is a press fit, that's fixed. Doing the connectors on the ESC upgrade.
Even with the aileron differential I get some adverse yaw at times. Maybe that's what you are seeing. I just ignore it and it self corrects. Unless you are a most skilled and professional pilot, by the time you correct with the rudder you are as likely to over-correct the other way.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Even with the aileron differential I get some adverse yaw at times. Maybe that's what you are seeing. I just ignore it and it self corrects. Unless you are a most skilled and professional pilot, by the time you correct with the rudder you are as likely to over-correct the other way.
I think part of my problem is that I am comparing it to my open class competition ships. I just need a good glider day to see what I can get out of it. Too little data in one flight in suboptimal conditions. I was a bit surprised about the sink rate so i will throw my Robart meter on it and probably do the boom strengthening mods and get everything straight and true. it's worth 50 cents if I can get useful weight in the tail!

Oh, and I was pleased with how flat it would turn. That shows promise
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
I can't find real specs on the PKZ4716 motor. What's the max amps it will accept? i see that they allow doe 4S packs so I would think it could handle more that the 18amps it seems to be drawing. What have people been able to load it up to? I've got a good selection of props coming and would love to know what I can get away with on my wattmeter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
I can't find real specs on the PKZ4716 motor. What's the max amps it will accept? i see that they allow doe 4S packs so I would think it could handle more that the 18amps it seems to be drawing. What have people been able to load it up to? I've got a good selection of props coming and would love to know what I can get away with on my wattmeter
Upping the power just spoils the glide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Upping the power just spoils the glide.
How so? Just putting on a bigger prop that still folds flat but draws more amps shouldn't effect the power off characteristics. Same battery/motor/weight
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
How so? Just putting on a bigger prop that still folds flat but draws more amps shouldn't effect the power off characteristics. Same battery/motor/weight
You can do it within these limits but at the expense of efficiency. In other word, you'll be able to climb faster, but fewer times on the same pack.

The stock setup is a good compromise between performance and endurance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Graupner Cam 11 X 8, on HK 50mm Al spinner, Turnigy 1300 mAh 20-30C <26A, <7000 RPM for 30 seconds 70

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1724 for more info

Alan
Thanks Alan. Gives me an upper limit if nothing else. I've got a good selection of HK props coming from 10" through 13" diameters along with their AL hub/spinner. Just don't want to let the magical blue smoke escape in the process
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
You can do it within these limits but at the expense of efficiency. In other word, you'll be able to climb faster, but fewer times on the same pack.

The stock setup is a good compromise between performance and endurance.
yes, very true. You are trading off climbs per pack. I see endurance as how good I fly between climbs. Comes from years of flying HLGs with a stopwatch. Your time told you how many mistakes you made in neutral air.

heading out to the field in an hour since the winds have calmed some
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
674 Posts
On the other hand, the 1300 lipos are less then $12 each at HK, so that diminishes the efficiency importance now days, 3 flights or 5, is less important since you can have a few in your pocket and not worry about it and have a much faster climb to boot.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck