HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
Charging 1/16 Revo Battery

I was at my LHS and picked up a spare battery for my new 1/16 revo vxl that is arriving in the mail tomorrow. I wanted to have a battery charged and ready to go for it instead of waiting 6 hours for the battery to charge. After talking about chargers for a bit, I was told I could use my Stampede XL-5 wall charger to charge my 1200 mAh Revo batteries, would just be quicker than using the charger the revo comes with. The charger is rated at 350 mAh so I thought this would take less than 4 hours. After about 5 hours the battery was warm to the touch, but the charger was not indicating a full charge.

Is this a reasonable/safe way to charge these batteries? Is my Stampede charger not going to work for this because it was designed for 8.4 volts and not 7.2 volts? And if this wasn't a good idea, battery damage?

*Note - When I took the battery off the charger and checked it for voltage, it was reading 8.71 volts.
mwmourer is offline Find More Posts by mwmourer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 01:03 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,358 Posts
I doubt you caused any serious damage. This would be a good opportunity to look into a good hobby grade charger. Then you'd be looking at about an hour or so of charge time instead of waiting 6 hours to get 6 minutes of run time. Less time between charges equals big grin on face.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Nov 06, 2010, 01:31 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
I doubt you did any damage to you revo pac.

Neither charger you presently have is considered to be a real charger, they are wall type chargers and are very slow. You need to get a real, hobby grade battery charger as mentioned. Here is a good, entry level charger - it will peak charge your packs like they chould be charged in less than an hour, maybe 45min depending on how discharged they are -

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Duster_360 is offline Find More Posts by Duster_360