HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:26 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
I had the same problem untill i realized my prop was unbalanced (even after checking), and another time when the firewall was cracked. Is your shaft bent? The kit somes with a duplicate aluminum prop shaft. Try to reinstall also. Make sure you torque evenly upon application... that soft prop shaft can bend.
I did check and my shaft is bent slightly. I must have bought a no QC'd kit or something. I sure did not get a second prop shaft!
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:26 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I have the stock spinner and will probably never use it.

I would go with a 28mm motor with a larger shaft, then prop accordngly. Better results, less heat. It's summertime!!! Time to burn up motors. I have burnt two in the last two weeks.
Funny mine didnt spit the first motor till after switching to 3s 4747 from 4s 4141 prop... They drew the same amps but the 4s allowed for more cooling passes from the speed and drew less amps at part throttle.. 4s was lighter by 2oz (1000mah) also.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:56 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Couple things, I placed a little CA on the back side of the small props and it seems to balance the prop with no vibration. I was wondering if NOT using the spinner and having an open front would provide too much air into the fuse. What do ya think?
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:27 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Couple things, I placed a little CA on the back side of the small props and it seems to balance the prop with no vibration. I was wondering if NOT using the spinner and having an open front would provide too much air into the fuse. What do ya think?

Well, I would say there would be a pretty large surface area of wind resistance. The whole Rifle is very stream lined with you look at her down the pipe. I can always opt for a prop adapter with the small aluminum prop nuts, but I just think at over 100mph, it's just not efficient to have basically the whole motor firewall exposed. It may not change the performance much, but just a visual thing for me I guess. I have tried prop shaft and spinner combos and nothing seems to fit good. The spinner would be too far from the fuse etc. I guess I will keep a look out and see where I can pick up the stock spinner/prop adapter.

Happy Flying,

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:08 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,701 Posts
I had my Rifle out a couple of times this weekend. I will confess on the first flight, I was puckered beyond belief and stayed at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the entire flight.

But on the next outing, after a few "warm up" flights with my Evader, I took the Rifle up again and flew it at WOT. I guess the thing for me to realize, which helped me relax a little, is that you have to fly this one as it was intended to be flown I.E. keep it in pretty close and make a lot of turns. You really cannot fly it like other planes you may have in your hangar, where you fly a large pattern or take it WAYYY out and then set up for a high speed low level pass. Once I figured that out, it is easier to fly. But no doubt about it, it is a quick little plane and gives me a good adrenalin blast when I fly it!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:27 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I had my Rifle out a couple of times this weekend. I will confess on the first flight, I was puckered beyond belief and stayed at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the entire flight.

But on the next outing, after a few "warm up" flights with my Evader, I took the Rifle up again and flew it at WOT. I guess the thing for me to realize, which helped me relax a little, is that you have to fly this one as it was intended to be flown I.E. keep it in pretty close and make a lot of turns. You really cannot fly it like other planes you may have in your hangar, where you fly a large pattern or take it WAYYY out and then set up for a high speed low level pass. Once I figured that out, it is easier to fly. But no doubt about it, it is a quick little plane and gives me a good adrenalin blast when I fly it!
Same thing with me on my first flight! Like if was to think about sneezing, the Rifle is out of sight! Glad to hear about your successful flights! Have fun!

Happy Flying,

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:29 AM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
a pylon racer without a properly fitted spinner is just wrong. it should be illegal.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:33 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballfever View Post
a pylon racer without a properly fitted spinner is just wrong. it should be illegal.
Heh, I run mine without spinners. Simply because I don't feel like cuttung my motor shafts. I have never noticed the difference in performance. They definitely don't look nearly as cool without one but....
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:53 AM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
Heh, I run mine without spinners. Simply because I don't feel like cuttung my motor shafts. I have never noticed the difference in performance. They definitely don't look nearly as cool without one but....
can someone call the rc plane police, this is definitely a violation. the aerodynamic difference is marginal at most. it's mainly cosmetic. but if you can get your hands on a graupner spinner, do it. it'll slide all the way in compared to those crappy aluminum ones from soaring usa (oops, did i say that out loud). Graupner quality is top notch.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:56 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Your fine but I hope you ONLY put ca on the back slde close to the hub... you change the airfoil dynamics with a bead of ca on the blade.. if you cant get enough to balance on the first 1/2 inch of the hub, discard prop or check
the hub hole (some are not centered). Ive found most to be close or spot on using magnetic balance.
edit.. I would not fly without a spinner. It absorbs crash loads away from motor and other componets.. and it looks so much sweeter with it...
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Jun 01, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:56 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
can someone call the rc plane police, this is definitely a violation. the aerodynamic difference is marginal at most. it's mainly cosmetic. but if you can get your hands on a graupner spinner, do it. it'll slide all the way in compared to those crappy aluminum ones from soaring usa (oops, did i say that out loud). Graupner quality is top notch.
Send me a link. I wil give it a try but they never fit. It depends what motors you use. If you use Mega or ARC, they never fit.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:10 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
If thisd is the one you are speaking of, I am pretty sure you will need to trim shaft.

http://rcworldofplanes.net/prodView.asp?idProduct=1202
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:14 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
i fly my pylons w/ HET and Mega motors. I notice that the HET shafts are a lil longer than the Mega's. The aluminum spinners from soaring usa use collets and the holes drilled for the motor shafts on these collets are shallower than they should be. They fit ok on the shorter Mega shafts, but leave a nasty gap on the HET setups. Not to mention the collet don't sit squarely on the back plate, causing the whole thing to wobble slightly. bottom line: crappy.

The Graupner spinners don't use collets but set-screws. They fit perfectly and squarely every time, and the holes for the motor shafts are deep. They will slide all the way in til they hit the front of the fuse. bottom line: yay

side note: Graupner spinners only come in 2.3 mm and 3.2mm, so if you're using the 3 mm shaft Ammo things, Graupner won't work.

another side note: those soaring usa spinners each comes with 3 collets: 3.2mm, 4 mm, and 2.3 mm. Problem with those 2.3mm collets: the hole drilled for the motor shaft stops about halfway, the rest looks like 2mm. I have 3 of these and they're ALL like that. Seems like the guy that drilled these holes is super fed up with his job and don't give a crap anymore.

Here's a link for those wonderful Graupner spinners:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spinners.htm
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:18 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
If thisd is the one you are speaking of, I am pretty sure you will need to trim shaft.

http://rcworldofplanes.net/prodView.asp?idProduct=1202
Yeah, that is the same spinner i'm mentioning. Hmmm. I don't have any Arc 28 mm motor so i'm not sure how long the shaft is. but it fits more than perfect on the longer HET shafts, not to mention the shorter Mega shafts.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:23 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that is the same spinner i'm mentioning. Hmmm. I don't have any Arc 28 mm motor so i'm not sure how long the shaft is. but it fits more than perfect on the longer HET shafts, not to mention the shorter Mega shafts.
Measure your HET shaft. Heh heh heh. Let me know how long it is, heh heh.