SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2014, 05:49 AM
Germany, NRW, Cologne
Joined Aug 2014
6 Posts
Help!
First mini DLG build

Hi guys,

while making holidays on the countryside, i spend my time at home to build my first selfmade mini dlg (700mm wingspan), because my parents would support me less, if i don't 'flower out' my ideas and build them myself. This will be my first f3k too, and because i always have been fascinated by the tranquility of throwing and sailing, i decided to build my own.
So i start to make it the beginner way, and started to construct the wing out of one block of balsa (1000x100x4) using the modified AG35-38 variation.
Because i wanted to make it to axed (without aileron) i decided to add dihedral to stabilize it.

Now the question, your help appreciated:
How would you connect in this case both wings, because i couldn't find a conclusion from other threads.

I tried with normal white wood glue, but it even couldn't hold the own weight of the wing. Do i use the wrong one?

In this case, i will not build a detachable plane, so that the whole wing will be automatically sticked to the fuselage. Maybe Epoxy? Should be a light connection, which is able to take dihedral, the lift of the wing and the centrifugal force of the launch.

Greetings, Attenbach

see original thread for photos here http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forum....php?t=2217767
attenbach is offline Find More Posts by attenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:27 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,248 Posts
You can get a very nice/complete plan for the wood-build Mimi 1m glider if you e-mail the guy at f3k.nl

There are some construction tips you can use for your airplane.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:24 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,078 Posts
Attenbach, welcome to the DLG addiction

Typically the wing center joint is first glued end to end, then wrapped with a layer of light fiberglass cloth and epoxy or CA. You can see what I mean here.

As Spoofman suggested, look at the Mimi plans and thread. You can also look at Mark Drela's Apogee plans. The Apogee is not a DLG, but a lot of good building advice can be found there.

If your wing is not removable, you can design your pod to provide a lot of support for that center wing joint. something like this:

JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Aug 04, 2014, 04:48 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,248 Posts
Don't mind if i steal your pod idea.
You have a few days headstart, better hurry

Is it based on some sort of template or are you just freehand shaping it?
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Aug 04, 2014, 11:06 AM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,078 Posts
You can steal it....it's not mine!

I start with 2 rectangle halves, cut dihedral angles in the top edge (back half), glue them together, then shape.
Ryan has a method where he builds the pod right on the boom. I'll post a link & pictures when I get home tonight.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,078 Posts
I just posted some info and a photo over on the "in the bag" thread about Ryan's lost foam on the boom method.