SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:54 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Ultra Micro Radian ** Mods **

Although the UM Radian flies fine without modifications, I am having fun trying to improve certain aspects of the Radian’s flying abilities. As I like to use the kiss method of modification and enjoy flying slow & low, my first efforts will concentrate on replacing the wing on the Radian for a slower and more stable flight

I installed the old Micro Citabria (PKZ3120) wings. I did this using a little bit of tape to secure the two wings together with a one inch overlap on both sides of the fuselage. I slid the wings on with no modification to the wing slot or cutting of tape to separate the fuselage. As the wings are a bit thicker at the overlap, they stayed in place without using the screws. The Citabria wings are not flat on the bottom and a little bit larger area with the same width the whole length. The width of the wing is the same as the Radian wing until the Radian tapers. The weight of the original Radian wing is 12.5 grams with the 2 Citabria wings weighing a total of 8 grams. No cutting of anything!

New wings on the UMX Radian (2 min 22 sec)
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Last edited by twoplanekid; Apr 23, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:59 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
754 Posts
I'm going to be the first to say it, but I am very jealous of you flying hangar!

Very nice. What B-25 is that and same for the B-17? I got to sit in the B-25 Devil Dog at Oshkosh a couple of years ago.

The Radian looks slower for sure. Cool little mod.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby

Edit: I looked at your attachments and you have a A-26 in there too!
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2014, 07:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2014
28 Posts
I'll be installing a battery connector and testing this out tomorrow.

De-shelled and friction fit.

Stock 150mah battery with Velcro = 5g*
De-shelled 300mah battery = 8g*
* on the kitchen scale

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

JonZap is offline Find More Posts by JonZap
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:31 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
Matt,

Thanks for looking. The UM Radian is a great product and will have many uses. For information on the B-17,B-25 ...., please see -> http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org

Born in Urbana, Ill and lived in Urbana, Ohio for most of my life, I would invite you and your crew to visit Urbana, Ohio on your way to or from this years Horizon Indoor Electric Festival in Columbus to see what we have and maybe take a ride.

If anyone would like to try this mod and can't find the Citabria wings at your local hobby store, I have some for sale at 2 shipped for $6. Send a PM to me if interested.

Rick
Last edited by twoplanekid; Apr 24, 2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:41 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,303 Posts
I was hoping to find a magnet wing mod with photos and part numbers on the magnets. Anyone?
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:02 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
My 3 in 1 Radian. Citabria wings to go very slow with control. The regular wings for more wind and outside flying. Then the Mig-15 wings to go fast and high winds. So far, the Citabria mod is the winner for me.

Need to do more testing with the Mig-15 wings as the AS3X sometime makes the aircraft weave from side to side. Hope to have video of the Radian with the Mig wings on soon.
Old May 05, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I was hoping to find a magnet wing mod with photos and part numbers on the magnets. Anyone?
Here you go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...et+mod&page=85
JJ66 is offline Find More Posts by JJ66
Old May 06, 2014, 05:52 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ66 View Post
Perfect Thanks
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old May 06, 2014, 07:12 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
Still working on the 3 in 1 UMX Radian. I need to adjust or turn off the AS3X system when using the MIG-15 wings as it causes the aircraft to shake at times. The video was taken while flying in winds of 10 to 12 knots. A bad servo is not causing the problem as I replaced the MIG wings with the Citabria wings to have many smooth flights after this test.

UMX Radian with MIG-15 wings (2 min 18 sec)
Old May 07, 2014, 12:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Speaking of turning off the AS3X, last time I looked the manual for the rx wasn't online, and that programming adapter they sell for AS3X doesn't mention the umx Radians rx. Anyone learn more about it?
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old May 16, 2014, 08:26 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
I went back to the Citabria wings to try some other things to slow it up to walking speed. I need to remove more wing structure for better control and less weight gain. It does seem to fly even slower with this configuration.

I love to try different concepts -> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865438

Having fun again!
Old May 16, 2014, 10:16 AM
Mem Martins, PORTUGAL
Joined Jan 2002
234 Posts
Disabling the AS3X

Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Speaking of turning off the AS3X, last time I looked the manual for the rx wasn't online, and that programming adapter they sell for AS3X doesn't mention the umx Radians rx. Anyone learn more about it?
I disabled the AS3X with the SPMA3060 programmer on the UMX P-40 and UMX Spitifire of a friend and on my Carbon Cub i can turn it on and off via the switch of the channel 5.
I followed this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976834
And this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140166

Have good flights
Chispas
chispas2 is offline Find More Posts by chispas2
Old May 16, 2014, 01:43 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Thanks, Chispas! I'll look into those.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old May 16, 2014, 09:01 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
I am trying to give you a picture of how slow the Radian goes using the Citabria wings and mods. The video was taken in the early evening with no winds and in the same location that I filmed flying an Ember with mods five year ago.

Ember with mods
RC Ember with mods (2 min 1 sec)

Radian with mods
UMX Radian going very slow (2 min 30 sec)
Old May 16, 2014, 10:27 PM
Joined Jul 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Although the UM Radian flies fine without modifications, I am having fun trying to improve certain aspects of the Radianís flying abilities. As I like to use the kiss method of modification and enjoy flying slow & low, my first efforts will concentrate on replacing the wing on the Radian for a slower and more stable flight

I installed the old Micro Citabria (PKZ3120) wings. I did this using a little bit of tape to secure the two wings together with a one inch overlap on both sides of the fuselage. I slid the wings on with no modification to the wing slot or cutting of tape to separate the fuselage. As the wings are a bit thicker at the overlap, they stayed in place without using the screws. The Citabria wings are not flat on the bottom and a little bit larger area with the same width the whole length. The width of the wing is the same as the Radian wing until the Radian tapers. The weight of the original Radian wing is 12.5 grams with the 2 Citabria wings weighing a total of 8 grams. No cutting of anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agZsM0AzgNY
Wow I do like this. I am 70 years old and just getting back into flying rc after a 20 odd year absent. I picked the Little Radian to start with...what a little flyer it is.I love the mod you did with the Citabria wings. I want to order the wings and give it a try. It does fly good now, but at my age, I do like the slow flying.Thanks for the post.
JJ66 is offline Find More Posts by JJ66