HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2014, 03:42 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
Just read through most of that. Interesting. Thanks for taking the time!

Having never flown any DLG, I've nothing to compare it to, but I've actually found the thing to be surprisingly agile. No, the roll rate isn't blinding, but it is sufficiently fast so that--combined with a little rudder, on mine--it'll turn on a dime. I'm really looking forward to getting a LOT more time on this thing. If it had nothing else going for it, I'd STILL find it endlessly fascinating just to set up a fly-by from twenty feet up a a mile out and watch it cruise by at about, oh, 19.5 feet! The sink rate--for a guy used to power planes, and boxy ones at that--is just unreal.
Glad you like your Sky 2M. I really enjoy flying mine. I've built a few 2M gliders in my days and this is one of the most versatile ones. It does nice axial rolls out of a dive and and yet can core a tight thermal with the light 2M floater woodies. Beautiful handling and great pitch and roll response.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2014, 07:09 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh View Post
Glad you like your Sky 2M. I really enjoy flying mine. I've built a few 2M gliders in my days and this is one of the most versatile ones. It does nice axial rolls out of a dive and and yet can core a tight thermal with the light 2M floater woodies. Beautiful handling and great pitch and roll response.
Well, several more flights (including a few minutes in a good thermal yesterday morning) haven't diminished my enthusiasm. I recently found a really nice slope site and as soon as the wind cooperates, we'll try that, too. "Versatile" is exactly what I was after, as at this point I don't want three or four specialty gliders. So far, really really good!

I should also mention that Andre at Art Hobby (who happens to live here in my town) was extremely helpful throughout the selection and build process. Great customer service.
Xeric is online now Find More Posts by Xeric
Last edited by Xeric; Aug 06, 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:55 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,536 Posts
Videos with the Odyssey 2,7

How to land your RC glider, Turbolent slopes (3 min 47 sec)

How to. RC glider towing for beginners (5 min 15 sec)

My Odyssey is now on 115 hours flighttime

Cheers
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:55 AM
DS will change your life
Joined May 2010
1,536 Posts
This is why my Odyssey now has 122 hours of flight time.

Always fun and a pleasure to fly, so when you have done some hours of sloping and thermals, it is always ready for some fun inverted low flying.

Flying from my new found grass slope, only 2 miles from my home.
Not that steep, but good lift anyway due to free area in front of the hill.

Advanced lowflying, (1 min 41 sec)

Cheers
Soren
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:09 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
A hill like that, ONLY 2 miles away... I'm so jealous.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:15 AM
DS will change your life
Joined May 2010
1,536 Posts
My Odyssey 2,7. had 125 hours of flight time anniversary today.

And rounded 126 hours, on a 1 hour 45 min. slope/thermal flight from a small local hill, in good but cloudy conditions.

Regards
Soren
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:17 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
If any of you Art Hobby pilots have put motors in your gliders AND if you live within driving distance of Atlantic City you might come on over and play some e-soaring games. I will be there.

The Eastern Soaring League will hold an ALES contest there Aug 30 and 31
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=182

What? You don't know what an ALES contest is?

ALES = Altitude Limited Electric Soaring

The limit is not how high you can soar but that the launch is to a specific altitude, typically 200 meters. So everyone has a device in their glider that let's them launch to 200 meters or a motor run of 30 seconds, whichever comes first.

All you need to do is add this $40 device to your e-glider. Just plugs in between the receiver and the ESC. Very small, very simple. Nothing to do really. Once the motor cuts you are a glider pilot looking for thermal lift.
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

Typically the task is 10 minutes of soaring time, no motor. Then, at exactly 10 minutes, you need to land the glider for maximum score. Every second over or under is a loss of score.

There is a landing tape on the ground that describes a circle for landing points. At our club, that landing tape is 10 meters long, so the circle is 20 meters across or about 67 feet across. Land inside the circle and you are awarded bonus landing points.

At most ALES contests they launch between 4 to 10 pilots in a flight group and these pilots are scored against each other. This is called MOM or Man on Man scoring. It is similar to what you may have seen for scoring a test on a curve in High School. Whoever gets the best time gets 1000 points and everyone else in that flight group gets a % of that. Then you tack on the landing points.

I often fly my Radian in ALES contests.

This is a video of a very large ALES contest.
SVSS - ALES Contest - 3-3-12 (5 min 56 sec)
SVSS - ALES Contest - 3-3-12 (5 min 56 sec)

Here is another
East Coast ALES Festival @ DESS (9 min 6 sec)
East Coast ALES Festival @ DESS (9 min 6 sec)

The nice thing about this competition as compared to pure gliders is that, if you get in trouble the CAM ALES unit gives you the option of restarting the motor and getting yourself out of trouble. You take a zero for the flight but it is better than trying to get your plane out of the trees.

Keep asking questions. This form of contest is absolutely exploding in popularity with the e-glider pilots. It is a lot of fun.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
971 Posts
You wouldn't think that an Art Hobby EV-2 would lose badly in a mid-air fight with a foam Radian Pro, but mine just did. Dad and I crossed paths, fortunately at relatively low speeds, but his prop hub impacted my left wing tip, just outboard of the joint. The Radian flew away (until Dad got too concerned about mine and forgot to fly it, at which point it crashed, unharmed, a bit down the slope). My Sky spun violently and then looked to be recovering, and I poured on some coal. . . but it was almost instantly out of sight behind the shoulder of the slope. I had to cut the throttle because I didn't want it to hit anything going full bore, and neutralized everything, hoping it would appear again. It didn't.

Climbed down an awfully steep slope to find . . . not too bad a scene. Two-inch long by maybe an inch deep impact gouge in the left wingtip, broken prop, partially broken right ruddervator. Haven't checked yet for servo/motor/etc function, but still, coulda been worse.

So there's the story and here's the question: given the location and small size of the crunch in the wing tip section, I'm thinking the easiest fix is just to cut out a clean rectangle, fill it with soft balsa (maybe with a harder leading edge strip, but probably not), sand to the airfoil, paint it over, and call it good. Does that sound like a terrible idea to anybody? Anybody got a better one?
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
Quote:
So there's the story and here's the question: given the location and small size of the crunch in the wing tip section, I'm thinking the easiest fix is just to cut out a clean rectangle, fill it with soft balsa (maybe with a harder leading edge strip, but probably not), sand to the airfoil, paint it over, and call it good. Does that sound like a terrible idea to anybody? Anybody got a better one?
Xeric - If its anything like this, its a relatively easy fix. Cut out the damage as cleanly as you can. Trace the area and cut a piece of foam to fit. I used a toothpick to perforate the surface of the existing foam and new foam to help the glue bite both sides. I then spread a VERY light coat of Gorilla glue on one half. Spritzed the other with a small amount of water. Tape the the repair foam in place very securely for at least 4 hours depending on the humidity where you live.
Once dry, sand, file shape to match the contour of the wing. Once satisified, remove all trace particles and prep for one or two layers of say 0.75oz glass cloth. I did one layer straight and one on the bias, which is probably overkill.
Once the cloth is wet out, stretch and smooth some wax paper or a plastic bag over and allow to cure. Once dry, sand smooth again and top with a protective coat of lacquer and paint to protect the resin.
Sounds like a lot, but it really is quite easy to do once you start.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Xeric - If its anything like this, its a relatively easy fix. Cut out the damage as cleanly as you can. Trace the area and cut a piece of foam to fit. I used a toothpick to perforate the surface of the existing foam and new foam to help the glue bite both sides. I then spread a VERY light coat of Gorilla glue on one half. Spritzed the other with a small amount of water. Tape the the repair foam in place very securely for at least 4 hours depending on the humidity where you live.
Once dry, sand, file shape to match the contour of the wing. Once satisified, remove all trace particles and prep for one or two layers of say 0.75oz glass cloth. I did one layer straight and one on the bias, which is probably overkill.
Once the cloth is wet out, stretch and smooth some wax paper or a plastic bag over and allow to cure. Once dry, sand smooth again and top with a protective coat of lacquer and paint to protect the resin.
Sounds like a lot, but it really is quite easy to do once you start.
Hmmm. Yeah. Might well go that route. I hesitate only in that the edges of the glass are always going to show (certainly more of an aesthetic concern than an aerodynamic one). I'll take a look at my center-section glass and see what I think. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
With careful sanding, you can get them to all but vanish. I rushed the job on the repair and you can see the edge. The center section tape is invisible under the 4 layers of lacquer.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,735 Posts
Quote:

We fly a number of AH planes on our slope and have fixed similar damages in the wing by cutting out the damaged area and inserting a block of medium to high density balsa block in the cavity. Wait for epoxy to cure and sanded to shape and seal the wood.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh View Post
We fly a number of AH planes on our slope and have fixed similar damages in the wing by cutting out the damaged area and inserting a block of medium to high density balsa block in the cavity. Wait for epoxy to cure and sanded to shape and seal the wood.
I think I'm leaning that way. If the damage were inboard, I'd certainly go with glass for strength, but where is, I'm thinking simpler/lazier is more my style!