HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 08, 2003, 02:08 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Revolution 3d EPP Trainer!

First of all I would like to say thanks to Sekiai for the insight into the building technique he used in the Southern X-2. Also a big thanks to Mark Roberts for being the first one to supply everyone with the cut foam.

Here at Electric Foam Models (e-foamies.com) have used this building technique to develop a great 3D Trainer. We call it the Revolution 3D and you can more pictures and videos of it at http://www.e-foamies.com. Site is new and still under development

Here it is!

This design is great for a 3D Trainer. First of all it is larger than the Southern X-2. The wing span is 34" and the length is a little over 34". Even though it is larger it can still be built in the 12oz range. It also has more wing area than the sx2. This will help it fly easier in higher winds and also helps it slow down a lot.

During the design process we used two EPP strips that start at the nose and run down the entire fuse to the rudder (prototype 1 did not run the entire fuse lenght). These two EPP strips serve many purposes.
1) the motor mount is sandwidched between the two strips for added strength for the motor.
2) Added strength where the fuse and wing attach.
3) The top strip goes all the way to the nose and provides a mounting location for the battery. It also gives protection to the motor in a front end crash.
4) There ends up being 3 x 3mm EPP strips in the middle of the fuse for a total of 9mm. This gives it more strength in the lower fuse to keep the flex to a minimum.
5) The two strips go over the horizontal stabalizer to give the stabalizer strength from side to side motion.

Here is a picture. Note: the prototype 1 did not have the strips going the entire length of the fuse. The production model will.

You can also notice from that picture, that our motor mount will be cut around the front of the wing. This will keep the motor mount from being able to move back in a crash. This model used the mount for a GWS gearbox. The production model will include two motor mounts so you can choose which mount you would like. One for GWS gear boxes, and one that has a flat front so you can mount the AXI / PJS motors (or cut out your own carbon rod mount).

We also designed it so that there is a large area for air to cool the batteries as seen in this picture (right above motor):

This model will also include servo mounts made from EPP. They will be pre cut so they fit inside the model. You will be able to cut out part of the EPP mount to fit your servo model. By doing this you will be able to mount your servos into solid EPP without the need of glue or tape.

Here is a few pictures of the prototype #1 at the flying field:

Video at the flying field:
http://www.e-foamies.com/videos/EPP/...r3d_EPP_01.wmv

This model should be able to do it all even though my fingers can not! It will make a great 3D Trainer, the amount of abuse this design can take is amazing!

-Tim
tim@e-foamies.com
3d_Crazy is offline Find More Posts by 3d_Crazy
Last edited by 3d_Crazy; Dec 10, 2003 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2003, 03:24 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,926 Posts
looks good 3d_Crazy kinda like a short Miss June in EPP , and some nice flying too

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Dec 08, 2003, 03:29 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Destruction Next!

Thanks Happy|Harry, I am going to try and get some pictures and a video of me trying to destroy it... should be fun!

Next up is a basic trainer made from EPP. I should start work on that this week!

-Tim
http://www.e-foamies.com
Old Dec 08, 2003, 03:45 PM
Rochester,MN
Joined Feb 2001
749 Posts
What did you paint the model with? It almost looks transparent in the one photo.
RonD is offline Find More Posts by RonD
Old Dec 08, 2003, 03:49 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
paint

We airbrushed a light coat on, but you should be able to use just about any type of spray paint. I will do some testing with some scrap EPP.

You can hold it up to the light and actually see through it to some degree. I wanted to put a lighting system "inside" the fuse and wing to make it "glow", but just haven't had time!

-Tim
http://www.e-foamies.com
Old Dec 08, 2003, 03:57 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
well?

I know the dreaded question will come--How much? Thanks
ICRSHLTS is offline Find More Posts by ICRSHLTS
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:05 PM
france
Joined Dec 2003
1 Posts
Very good beautiful plane 3d_Crazy.Sorry for my english......
lolokerfily is offline Find More Posts by lolokerfily
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:07 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
$30 for a foam only kit. The fuse, wings, and ribs will be from 1.3 density EPP, the servo mounts, motor mounts, and control surfaces will be from 1.9 density EPP.

We want to offer an ARF kit with built up wing, fuse, and all hardware, but it will be a while until we can get all the hardware in stock.
Old Dec 08, 2003, 05:35 PM
Japan
Joined Jun 2003
483 Posts
Wonderful work!
I am also glad.
Y_Sekiai is offline Find More Posts by Y_Sekiai
Old Dec 08, 2003, 06:21 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Very nice! The added wing area will make it suitable for a wider range of motors/batteries.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Dec 08, 2003, 06:27 PM
razor burn can be good
aurora illinois
Joined Aug 2002
314 Posts
looks good tim!!

i like the quality of the sheet cutting, looks very smooth with no wire marks.

just sent you a email for a preorder
RCZohn is offline Find More Posts by RCZohn
Old Dec 08, 2003, 06:29 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
3d_Crazy

Please put me on your list for one of those.
My email l is in my profile

Thanks
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Dec 08, 2003, 06:37 PM
Dreamin' in 3D
Lodi/San Luis Obispo
Joined Oct 2003
1,584 Posts
How would this compare to the 3DX? I was going to get the SX2 but now I don't know. As soon as I make up my mind they come out with something new that is similar and I like it just as much but can't decide which one to get! Would this fly a little easier than the SX2? I am a realative beginner in this area of flying.
Blackhawk3D is offline Find More Posts by Blackhawk3D
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:32 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Not sure exactly how it would compair to the 3DX. I think it would be closer than the sx2 because of the wing area, wing span, and length are closer to the 3DX. I am not sure if it would fly easier than the sx2, some other people might have better opinions. I think because of the size, it would be more of a "trainer" and easier to fly than the sx2. I have not built the sx2 out of EPP yet, so I can't compair the difference, but on paper, I think the Revolution 3D has more trainer characteristics.

With the CG moved up, it acts more like a mid wing trainer. Like something you would want for a 2nd plane. My first flight I had the CG all the way forward and was flying in 10-15 mph winds... it flew rock solid.

With the CG back, it really comes alive for 3D!

-Tim
tim@e-foamies.com
Old Dec 08, 2003, 11:01 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined Aug 2002
471 Posts
Looks Great!

I think the added wing area is a good idea, and is an improvement needed on the SX2 as well. Looks great! I also think that more of these type designs are what is needed to improve the entire sport. Good luck on the sales!

Mark
Mark Roberts is offline Find More Posts by Mark Roberts
Closed Thread