SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:35 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Well,

The jet fan 90's and new esc's are on order. Now to find the best place to get a pair of HET 700-68-1200 motors.

If everything arrives by mid week next week and the weather cooperates, we could be flying again in a little over a week!
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:11 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,885 Posts
ejf.com should have them
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:23 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,264 Posts
Get a hold of Gary at -- http://www.effluxrc.com/ I got mine on Wed. Fast service. I think he still has a deal on them.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2007
230 Posts
yes,

the elevator trimmed that much as frise style, is too much drag. Reduce the extra nose weight step by step. Don't shorten the tube extension the same time. Always change 1 parameter at once, check by flight, then go to check an other parameter like shorten the tubes.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:56 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiner View Post
yes,

the elevator trimmed that much as frise style, is too much drag. Reduce the extra nose weight step by step. Don't shorten the tube extension the same time. Always change 1 parameter at once, check by flight, then go to check an other parameter like shorten the tubes.

Heiner
Wise advice.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Anyone know how long it takes EJF to ship stuff? I tried to call them to inquire to verify they had two motors in stock, but of course its nothing but a looping recording.. kinda hard to ask questions and get answers with no one answering the phone..
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:20 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,885 Posts
they are fast at shipping, but you can also try gary at efluxrc. he normally has het motors in stock
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
they are fast at shipping, but you can also try gary at efluxrc. he normally has het motors in stock
I already placed the order with EJF.. i would of used gary, but when i went to purchase 2 off his site, it changed the quantity to one since thats all it said he had in stock..
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
105 Posts
Nice flight- good job. She looks great in the air. Like Heiner said, don't change too much at one time, but your exhaust tubes don't need to be past the trailing edge IMO. Mine are all a couple inches shy of the trailing edge and I've had no stability issues. I also agree with John W., you need a bit higher angle of ground stance.

As far as going to 12s, that is a huge jump from 6S. This model would probably do fine with 8S. Be careful with 12S or you could be looking at more fried ESC's. Make sure you have plenty of amperage "headroom" w/ whatever ESC's you use. Castle has some great ones for high voltage, and also Hobby City now has some high voltage ESC's - (Much less expensive than Castle).

The 229 will fly well at both low power and high power settings once CG/trim are dialed in.
If you check my video (though it is a long video ), you will see some parts where I have power completely off, or very low throttle setting. (for example, from 2:20 - 3:10 is power off) Yours will be a very sweet flyer too when you don't have to fight the nose heaviness with all that trim, and have a bit more available power.
RC Horten Ho229 V3 (9 min 17 sec)

Looking forward to your next flight.

Mark A.
Horten Freak is offline Find More Posts by Horten Freak
Last edited by Horten Freak; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Mark we had decided early on that if it didnt have the performance in 6s we would jump straight to 12s, as it is easier to balance the model with four 6s 5000 lipos.

I tried "cheap" with the 6s and got burnt. Luckily it was only about $130 worth of stuff. This time im going the expensive route and hoping it pays dividends.

If all works out like i hope, i could possibly have everything to finish the 12s setup and landing gear issues for good. Then a test flight or two and it will get its paint and weatherig completed.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
couldn't you go with four 4S packs instead of four 6S packs? it'll be lighter (of course) and 8S will be more than enough, based on what we saw on the video. the plane flew just fine on 6S, so 8S will be overkill and 12S will be damn near ballistic. I'd seriously reconsider the 12S route if it were mine, but that's just me.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:55 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
With different fans and motors, 12s doesn't mean squat in terms of power. He won't be running the same gear with twice the voltage!
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:07 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
true enough, but the Jetfan 90's will be much better on 8S than the current equipment on 8S..............assuming he would go up to 8S on the current equipment. since we know that's not happening, I'm just thinking that 12S will be incredibly overkill when 6S was clearly enough to fly the plane in its current setup. 8S will be more than enough to fly it and 12S will turn it into a ballistic missile.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:08 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
6s, 12s, 1s - doesn't matter. Watts and/or kg thrust is what flies things.

Also - 12s is just the same packs reconfigured. Much easier on the wallet!
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:21 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
well, I don't think I would go so extreme as to say it doesn't matter, because it matters greatly. if you don't have enough power going in, you don't get the power coming out. so number of cells is extremely important. assuming the losses are 10-20%, which is typical, if we want a certain number of Watts out, we need to put in that extra 10-20% in. if we have a set number in mind, then we need a specific voltage to accomplish this. it's simple electricity math. so number of cells is important, or we don't get the Watts out that we need.

personally, I don't care about Watts, since it's not the most accurate unit of measure. it's a good indicator of what to expect, but it isn't perfect. I don't even care about Kg or lbs of thrust. I prefer the good old fashioned Newton.