SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Does turning on WDR improve the sky? Therau2000's video of better coloured sky was using WDR:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post25313087

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post25313867
Not during my testing. What does matter a lot is the direction the camera is pointing and whether the sky is clear and bright with no clouds or partly cloudy. With a clear blue sky, it will always look the darkest and most saturate when point 180 deg. away from the sun, and less so as you pan towards the sun, with the least sky color saturation when pointing at or near the sun.

WDR, based on my understanding, extends the extremes of the CMOS sensitivity by increasing the gain, which adds an increment of video noise at the same time. I don't know if the WDR only kicks in at the low light end of the range or not. In my brighter outdoor tests I could not see any difference, nor in my indoor tests, but then that's not something I tested very strenuously with so much other stuff having higher priority. maybe someone will show some clips showing a difference. I don't really use the camera for indoor video much, so it's not a high priority for me, but an outdoor scene around dawn and dusk where a bright sky can dominate the exposure leaving the ground scenes under exposed would be where a WDR difference would be welcome. I have not even gotten any AV with mine yet.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:52 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Vimeo allows just one 1080p video (500 mb limit, I think) per week to be uploaded in their basic (free) hosting service. Any uploads after the first during the same week will be encoded in 720p mode. It renews every sat at midnight.

But more importantly, your sample is .MP4, not .MOV and it has obviously been edited and re-encoded before you uploaded to Vimeo. I D/L your original upload and found the data rate is only about 2500 kbps! An un-edited native video in 1080p Standard quality mode it should have about 15000 kbps data rate, 6 times greater than your edited version! I thought your lens might be out of focus, but hard to tell with such low data rate. Your scenery is GORGEOUS, but the video doesn't do it justice.
Hi Tom! Long time no see..

First - I am not an experienced Vimeo user, so please bear with me I tried to upload full 1080p, but got the understanding that it was only for Plus and PRO users, but 720p was OK, but only 1 (one) pr. week (I think). I'll try again when I have time..
Second: I used "Avidemux 2.6.4 (32-bit)" to crop the original video, and in order not to lose quality, made a COPY (selected "copy" for video output) and "AVI Muxer" for "Output Format" (only possible choice for me to avoid error messages). I noticed that Avidemux saved in an .AVI container, but checked the statistics from VLC media player (see attached) and it looked OK and I called it good. Also - the process took only a second, so no re-encoding could have happened. Maybe I need to install more codecs? Again I am no expert, but try to learn
Possibly - when I added music Vimeo did the re-encoding (pointing fingers )

EDIT
Found this in Vimeo FAQ section..
Is Vimeo HD the same as HDTV?
Vimeo presents HD in the 720p format, exactly the same resolution (1280720) used by major broadcast, cable, and satellite networks.
Plus and PRO users can also upload 1080p videos and have them play back in extra-high definition

EDIT EDIT
"Your scenery is GORGEOUS, but the video doesn't do it justice"
I added YouTube links to my first post for my first video plus a new clip - please try to watch i 1080p?

-Jan
jhi is offline Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Jun 27, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added info
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Some helmet mounts I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universa...item3cd1da035c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Bracket-...item417466e216

@jhi, that looks ok. When we download the video from Vimeo, we are getting their re-encoded version available to streaming and not your original upload.
PedroDank is offline Find More Posts by PedroDank
Last edited by PedroDank; Jun 27, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
... Even trimming out unwanted sections or adding/deleting sound tracks can be done via a direct copy process without re-encoding the video stream.
VIDEO CUTTING - I think it would be helpful to have a list of video applications that can cut the Mobius MOV file without re-encoding it, so there is no loss of video quality.

SolveigMM Video Splitter - Windows only - Cuts the 30 and 60 FPS MOV file with no glitches. Seems to only cut on 15 frame boundaries, probably key-frames.
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined May 2013
10 Posts
720p cropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondrascz View Post
I asked already in the previous thread, but I didn't got any suitable answer. Will there be in the future to use 720@60p mode with same angle of view as in 1080p mode? It means no sampling from the centre of the CMOS, but from cells across all the surface. Is it even possible with used module and DSP?

I would be a great pity not to have 60p footage with wide view angle on a cemera which calls itself "action".
I miss the wide angle on 720p mode too. It looks all the cheaper cameras have the same cropped 720p mode.
salimi is offline Find More Posts by salimi
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post

@jhi, that looks ok. When we download the video from Vimeo, we are getting their re-encoded version available to streaming and not your original upload.
Puhhh - thanks for confirming! I was a little embarassed for a while

-Jan
jhi is offline Find More Posts by jhi
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:

Hmmm... it looks like Vimeo has changed their policy! They used to keep the original upload available for down load for one week before they swapped in the (severely re-encoded) version. But I just tried to download one of my 2 day old uploads (with about 15000 kbps at rate), and also got the crappy 2500 kbps .mp4 version! Boo hiss on Vimeo!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:50 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:

this look cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-Bicycle-B...item2a168d9ab0

ops original mobius accessory are even cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-Bicycle-B...item2a168d9ab0
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
Hi Tom! Long time no see..

First - I am not an experienced Vimeo user, so please bear with me I tried to upload full 1080p, but got the understanding that it was only for Plus and PRO users, but 720p was OK, but only 1 (one) pr. week (I think). I'll try again when I have time..
Second: I used "Avidemux 2.6.4 (32-bit)" to crop the original video, and in order not to lose quality, made a COPY (selected "copy" for video output) and "AVI Muxer" for "Output Format" (only possible choice for me to avoid error messages). I noticed that Avidemux saved in an .AVI container, but checked the statistics from VLC media player (see attached) and it looked OK and I called it good. Also - the process took only a second, so no re-encoding could have happened. Maybe I need to install more codecs? Again I am no expert, but try to learn
Possibly - when I added music Vimeo did the re-encoding (pointing fingers )

EDIT
Found this in Vimeo FAQ section..
Is Vimeo HD the same as HDTV?
Vimeo presents HD in the 720p format, exactly the same resolution (1280720) used by major broadcast, cable, and satellite networks.
Plus and PRO users can also upload 1080p videos and have them play back in extra-high definition.

EDIT EDIT
"Your scenery is GORGEOUS, but the video doesn't do it justice"
I added YouTube links to my first post for my first video plus a new clip - please try to watch i 1080p?

-Jan
Hi Jan,

See my prior post about the Vimeo site change for downloading a user's uploaded video. They no longer keep the original for a week like they used to, so it's a Vimeo re-encoding issue, not your processing! I just tested with one of my own clips upload two days ago and got the same garbage download. I now have to look into maybe using YouTube (ugh!)

FWIW, AviDemux can do a direct copy of the video into an MP4 container, but the audio stream must either be re-encoded (e.g. selecting MP3 output well) or deleted entirely (via the audio tab to turn off the source video). The latter option is much faster if you don't want the audio track.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
VIDEO CUTTING - I think it would be helpful to have a list of video applications that can cut the Mobius MOV file without re-encoding it, so there is no loss of video quality.

SolveigMM Video Splitter - Windows only - Cuts the 30 and 60 FPS MOV file with no glitches. Seems to only cut on 15 frame boundaries, probably key-frames.
AviDemux can do it, and it's a free solution. But it, too, requires a starting cut to be on a key frame. But that's not a big restriction... loses only 1/2 sec. of video in the worst case, and the editor has buttons for stepping forward or backward through key frames.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Tom,
I'm using VideoPad based on your recommendation. How can I clip the length of a video without recoding the whole thing?
Thank you.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondrascz View Post
I asked already in the previous thread, but I didn't got any suitable answer. Will there be in the future to use 720@60p mode with same angle of view as in 1080p mode? It means no sampling from the centre of the CMOS, but from cells across all the surface. Is it even possible with used module and DSP?

I would be a great pity not to have 60p footage with wide view angle on a cemera which calls itself "action".
It might be possible to use "pixel binning" to crunch the full CMOS imager AOV down to 720p width, but maybe not enough time to also deliver the full 60 fps rate without dropped frames. It's too early to tell what this camera will ultimately be able to do. 1080p @ 60 fps is a possibility that has yet to be explored.

But FWIW, the Mobius 720p image with the standard lens has an AOV that is only about 10 deg. (estimate) less than the #16 with it's wide angle D lens! Also, I've tested a much wider AOV lens for the Mobius that has excellent video properties (assuming the inherent fisheye distortion doesn't bother you), and in 720p-60fps mode it has an AOV only about 10 deg (estimate) less than the standard lens in 1080p mode. This lens is not yet available.

At any rate, this would qualify in my book as an "action" cam.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 15, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Tom,
I'm using VideoPad based on your recommendation. How can I clip the length of a video without recoding the whole thing?
Thank you.
You can't do it with the free VideoPad or WMM editors. If you convert the file (losslessly) using the free MP4cam2AVI.exe utility, you can trim files via direct copy using VirtualDub, or you can use the Solveig AVItrimmer (the free version of their Video Splitter utility Normandy5 mentioned).

Any editing other than trimming that modifies the video in any way (even cropping) requires re-encoding.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post

When I get time, I'll have a post up front that covers editing (with free utilities only), but it will be mostly cut and paste from the #16 thread since they are all MOV files. I didn't cover trimming and direct copying there, though.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
You've piste the same item twice. Was that your intention?
Those are to be installed on the bars, not the helmet. But I appreciate your sharing
PedroDank is offline Find More Posts by PedroDank