HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2005, 01:19 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Got my Destiny!!!

Well, I took the leap of faith and bought my first moldie! I picked it up in person and felt all giddy like a little kid seeing that box full of planes. I grabbed the white/red combo since it's new in the line.

My first impressions are good. It's a slick little guy. The instructions are a joke so hopefully I can figure out how all this stuff works.

I would like to have rudder capability but have no clue how to hook it up. I'm using an Eclipse 7 radio with a 555rx and hs81mg servos (I've never had a problem) so if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

The next thing would be any mods I should do to make my life easier and keep this thing flying for a while. I'm going to go with carbon pushrods for the elevator and rudder. I hear the tail end splits. Should I reinforce it now or just wait for it so let go? Same question for the nose area. I have heard it can get a little weak from less than perfect landings. I've seen several ballast mods and will do those in the future. My last question is what type of battery pack should I run? I have a selection that I can pick from so if you have an idea, please let me know. Standard switch mount or phone jack?

If you have any other ideas please let me know. I'm so stoked, I can't wait to get this thing flying. If I get to work I don't see why I can't have it flying this weekend.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2005, 01:25 PM
All times are GMT
United States, OR, Florence
Joined Mar 2004
1,076 Posts
Sweeeeet! Your going to love the Destiny. I see the Destiny fly from time to time at the Cape,..Very nice ship,...Any pics? Build thread?
wackyd is offline Find More Posts by wackyd
Old Aug 04, 2005, 01:32 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
I'll get some pics off when I get home.

Sure, I can start a build thread too.

RJ
Old Aug 04, 2005, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
I have a JR-341 for elevators only. I dont think you'll be doing to much thermaling with this one, just shrieking around at high speed.I used a 800 nical square pack, with the receiver and ele servo right behind that. By shortening the existing servo tray I was able to get a 1" dia ballast block through the canopy opening.

I would follow King of the Hills elevator advise in the Destiny thread. The elevator torque rods take a bit of finess to install, but its not too bad. Make sure you get the balls as close together as they can pass with the nylon ball joints on, because the end of the fuse is skinny. No shame in cutting off the tip of the fuse to get better access back there.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:10 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
RICKJAMES-

do you plan on going more than 160mph with it?

If yes: carbon pushrod for the tail like the mini blade setup, and cut your ailerons down cause around 160mph this thing flutters every time.....

If No- Do a stock build, especially if you want to run ruddar, use the stock pushrod system, it works fine to about that speed, it doesnt get mushy or anything... since your gonna run 2 servo's anyhow, run the snakes, it will make the build that much easier also...

as for the tail break... i would worry after it happens, its the only spot of the plane thats considered a weak spot, but breaking it is fairly un common.... as for the weak nose? whoever told you that is harder on their planes than i am, cause i have never cracked the nose on the destiny... Any battery will just about fit... AA or AAA 4cell is where its at.... the servo tray is a perfect fit for 2 81mg's or 85mg's... and is all you need... 81mg's or 85mg's in the wing, they both fit fine and saves a few bux from going to a 125mg (wich has same numbers as the 85)... the stock ball link system on the alerons is fine for any speed its seen so far....

thats about it... it builds very very quickly and is a strong plane...knowing your gonna DS it, i would put a SMALL dab of GOOP to hold the tail to the fuse, just cause i dont trust that single screw on those big days.

also- go ahead and lay 3 layers of electrical tape on the front of the tail to help with the incedince (sp)... fly it, or measure it...and put another or remove one when it starts flying level andthe tail surfaces are flush... after that then give a dab of goop...

PICTURE- i want to see red and white...
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:23 PM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James
The instructions are a joke RJ
At least you got instructions. I get to put my mach dart togather with info from RCG posts. And if any body here has a sense of humor like I do,... I'm screwed.

Gene
superior stupidity got me this far.
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
On mine, I tried to use the stock pushrods, but they were glued so low in the fuse that they bound up when making the turn to the servos. No big, I just made my own and called it a day.
Oh and the nose has proven pretty strong on mine. From the two at our hill the first thing that seems to happen is a bit of a cartwheel that creases a wingtip. Other than that Ive been very happy with the durability.
Youll love this plane. When the wind really gets going it rips.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:35 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
FWIW, I had to cut off the end of my fuse to get the ball links to work. I think that's what weakened it. It cracked on normal (not crash) landings a couple times until I wrapped some light glass cloth around it and it's held ever since. As for the nose and wings, I've nosed in and cart-wheeled a couple times and they've been very solid.

Slopemeno, we gotta do some formation Destiny flying one of these days!

-Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:38 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Great, thanks for the info. I will probably just do the stock build first and mod as necessary then.

The only bit of DS it will probably see is at Temple Hill. I've yet to turn over 100 so I'm sure I won't need to worry about carbon pushrods just yet.

Thanks again, pics soon, building right after.

RJ
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:53 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
For some reason I've been thinking a lot about this little Destiny model lately. May have to break down and grab one. Let us know how it goes as you build this one out, RJ.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Aug 04, 2005, 02:57 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Since I'm on a Vader kick...

"It is your Destiny..."

Darth Surfimp
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2005, 03:12 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
I've been thinking about one too. The design is pretty, but man, they gotta do something about those paint jobs! Maybe the red and white is better...
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Aug 04, 2005, 03:29 PM
Something MUST FLY!
OC, there is no "The OC"
Joined Jun 2004
1,070 Posts
Very cool! Please post some pics when you have a chance! I would like to see the Red/White as well.

Brad
IMoonBark is offline Find More Posts by IMoonBark
Old Aug 04, 2005, 03:31 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
One of the first things I was gonna do is tape off the "Destiny" and shoot it in red!

Buildup coming. I'll be sure to give info on all that I find.

I'm with you guys about the Destiny all of a sudden being on the brain. I offed a bunch of stuff on Ebay to fund it so the wifey don't get all weird about dropping $240 (with tax) on "a hunk of plastic that you just throw off a cliff!" Gotta love her.

RJ
Old Aug 04, 2005, 03:32 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
I've been thinking about one too. The design is pretty, but man, they gotta do something about those paint jobs! Maybe the red and white is better...
just gotta call and ask... they always have different colors coming in...

there the other day and saw-

white with magenta
white with blue
blue with yellow

i think there is more, but thats what i remember...

also they have the Mico Floh in stock now... was playing with it, very nice... i want to grab one of these too... with its 45" wingspan, the fuse and v-tail are more in proportion..... the micro floh and destiny share the same tail and fuse just the wingspan is different... nice to have a small plane handy

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill