HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:54 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
Discussion
Why does YouTube trash my videos?

Over the past three years, I have tried out several cameras both hand-held, and onboard. Most of them were typical point-and-shoot cameras operating in video mode. It was obvious that the YouTube renditions were not as clear as the originals, but the difference seemed acceptable at the time.

Then I got a camera that was designed for video instead of stills, and the results are impressive. It's a Canon Vixia HFR400. This is just a generic camcorder, but the videos are far better than the other still cameras, and that's what I was hoping to see when I bought it. I know this is only an entry level video camera, but for now I'm pleased with the quality of the videos, and I wish other people could see them for what they are.

When I upload them to YouTube (I tried Vimeo as well) they come out as mere ghosts of the original. They don't look much better than the ones captured by the old still cameras. Just to keep it simple, I am uploading the original files directly from the camera without running them through an editor. I try to keep them short, but sometimes use YouTube's editing function to cut off the beginning and the ending.

I've seen videos on YouTube that were taken with tiny 1oz cameras that have 1/4" lenses, and they look more clear than mine do. Something is being garbled in the translation process, and I would like to figure this out. It would be great if other people could see the quality of the video that plays on my computer screen.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2014
46 Posts
Youtube compresses the video you upload so that it is playable for multiple browsers and internet connections.

Uploading your footage directly from the camera isn't the best option. Take a look at this spec sheet from Google. It has recommended encoding settings.

You can download MPEG Streamclip as a free video encoder to start learning about Codecs. It's as powerful as a program as you'll likely ever need. I'd say it stands up to Media Encoder and Compressor for most things.

Re-encode your footage to a higher bit-rate h.264. Follow that spec sheet as close as you can. Also, with MPEG Streamclip, make sure to de-select all interlaced settings.
fpmurphy is offline Find More Posts by fpmurphy
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:36 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,173 Posts
Can you post a sample video?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:56 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Can you post a sample video?
Here is a sample. This was my one and only video that was uploaded to Vimeo. I was hoping it would be better than YouTube, but the results were similar. In the original video you could almost count the pine needles on the trees. In the Vimeo version, the sharpness is gone.

Pico Tiger Moth landing in deep snow (2 min 10 sec)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Here is a sample. This was my one and only video that was uploaded to Vimeo. I was hoping it would be better than YouTube, but the results were similar. In the original video you could almost count the pine needles on the trees. In the Vimeo version, the sharpness is gone.

https://vimeo.com/86621148
vimeo down scales 1080p videos to 720p for non paying users.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d