HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:47 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Discussion
North American manufacturing job's

I had a conversation with a guy ,I respect ..
Anyway through that conversation we kinda hit on thought.

Everything is made in China. A to Z ,top to bottom , up and down ,and sideway's.
We agreed on this .
Through that conversation we got talking about new government regulations for vessel's entering and operating in North American water's have to be able to burn clean fuel.. no bunker anymore. Ships pretty much have to be able to burn clear diesel ,the same diesel you get at the pump.

Then it dawned on the both of us.

Could the global cost of shipping actually make it more economical to manufacture goods at home.

Case in point. A HiFi , Emotiva manufacturer realised they were paying premium shipping on speakers.. essentially they were shipping a lot of air.
A short investigation proved they could have these speakers manufactured ,pretty much next door to their HQ, cheaper than China..needless to say the process is underway to bring it home.

Its an interesting thought..
Maybe,just maybe ..North America is back on the up swing.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:16 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,644 Posts
Quote:
A HiFi , Emotiva manufacturer realised they were paying premium shipping on speakers.. essentially they were shipping a lot of air.
Hmm, the Japanese thought that about forty years ago when sending just drive units to the UK and having British manufacturers wrap chipboard around them.

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:30 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,069 Posts
It has started. I heard a large maker of refrigerators was having problems with shipping cost and with the design of the units themselves.
They did a cost analysis and sure enough they could design it with fewer components and build the thing here a lot cheaper. AND with fewer complaints.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:43 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,644 Posts
But just think how much free packing space is available inside a refrigerator. One enterprising Taiwanese manufacturer realised this, Customs and Excise pointed this out when they checked and found undeclared electronics goods

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:24 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Not likely!! The refrigerators (built in my state) are a good example but will remain a rare exception.
There are many instances where making things in the US would make perfect sense, but the current political conditions in this country make it very unstable for manufacturers to forecast profits for long term.
If it isn't mandated health insurance, there is the threat of "cap & trade". These are just two examples in a long list of contingencies that can affect the long term profitability of a production run.
The political business climate in the US has become more unstable than neighboring third world countries. Smaller profit margins in today's tough competition can drive manufacturing profits from black to red at the whim of a Legislator's pen.
Just recently, the talk of minimum wage hikes have sent a clear message to manufacturers, "Don't come back!". Political business environment is a major component when deciding on a manufacturing location. Legislators in the US have made themselves a poor reputation for unwarranted regulation and extreme environmental overreach. Until the US learns to adopt a "hands-off" approach to manufacturing, the plant doors will remained closed.
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Aug 10, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 01:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee View Post
Maybe,just maybe ..North America is back on the up swing.
It most definitely is. The reshoring movement is coming to all kinds of industries at an increasing pace. Google "reshoring" and "rightshoring" to learn more.

Also google "US GDP from manufacturing" (no quotes on any of these) to learn a lot more very-encouraging information.

Even Walmart is getting smarter about it.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2014, 02:07 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,273 Posts
Two or three years ago there was a long lull in the availability of Walthers model railroad products.
Word was that all the molds were being shipped back to the United States from China and
were going to be put back in production once the dust settled. I heard that shipping was
one of the concerns that forced the move.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
OK, this is a hot topic these days and I can understand as I have been a factory worker for decades and I'm currently working from temp jobs ever since I got laid-off in 2009. Its not that bad working for temps as some actually have acceptable pay (most are not). The bad thing about them is trying to get hired permanent at one of the companies they send me to.

So now on to the Chinese manufacturing thing thats got lots of people POed....
I'm old enough (50 something) to remember when about everything you got from these country's was pure junk. Not just cheep or cheaply made or even cheaply designed....Just all out junk. The reason behind all this crap we where getting is that it was all made, designed and produced by low-paid, uneducated state workers (remember this is back when China was still a Communist-block country). Now that China has opened it's doors to the west, many of the Chinese companies have allowed western design and quality teams to have control of most aspects of the production-line. Its only a matter of time before Chinese workers develop higher skills and get better, more accustomed at their jobs. We still have and should keep ahead of them with more skillful tasks but the west's decision to open more trade to China helped the worlds economy a great deal and in time the Chinese citizen will be living at a higher standard and they will have more middle-class income than we do here in the states. That to will be great for the world economy.
The economy here in my state has gotten some-what better in the last year or so but I do think we still need more jobs and a law preventing an extraordinary amount of company's closing down just to start buying or producing in another country but I don't know if thats fair or not so the debate will go on.
REWB1 is offline Find More Posts by REWB1
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:37 PM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
233 Posts
My company still designs and builds all of it electronics for the North American market in the United States. Our customers hate inventory. They prefer to order what they need when they need it. Yes, having dozens of customers order what they want, when they want, drives the scheduling folks up the wall, but the customer avoids committing to a container full of electronics from the Pacific rim. It also allows us to implement immediate hardware and software changes which they absolutely love.

While this approach has been a boom for our factory (we are running nearly 24/7), many our of executives still note that this flexibility may add a $5 "up-front" cost to a $200K system. Would they be willing to kill off 800 us jobs for a 0.0025% savings. We recently had to implement a two-tier wage system to ward that off.

To the folks ordering the parts, the electronic control board is a generic widget and the initial purchase price is how they are measured. And that is the problem. Everyone's behavior is drive by how they are measured. Every business is driven to do whatever it takes to deliver maximum profit. If it's legal - regardless of long-term consequence - they will argue that they have to do it.
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:30 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Do you work for Honeywell.

Reason I ask.
My uncle reverse engineered a refrigeration unit . It would have cost the municipality more than 50k to get the hockey rink back in service..he did it with a PICAXE ,in 2days.
The Honeywell rep's boss wanted to hire him..It was funny really..
Total cost was $1500.

Which kick's up another pile off dirt ..the education system..
Not every child is going to university, There are those that will have to build , maintain these building's and the basic infrastructure of everyday life.
I work in trade's , the instructor at our school shake's his head , kids come out of school with almost zero problem solving skill's , and if they cant solve something , they immediately give up if the answer isn't given.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:38 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,733 Posts
A problem our company has been having is getting materials we have used for a half century. The latest is a #7 Copper belt rivet. We buy them from a wholesaler who informed us when their inventory is gone we are out of luck. Kind of tough when you are trying to be historically accurate for collectors, and when selling to the US Navy. You can see the rivets on the sides of the shoes we make in this video:
Mighty Ships - USNS Grasp: A Daring Deep-Sea Dive (4 min 0 sec)
Don't know how we will will work around this issue.

Another thing we can't get anymore is 1/2 hard 3/8" OD Copper Tubing. We have to settle for for soft. It does the job but is susceptible to damage the half hard isn't. One of our subs has to buy wetsuit neoprene from China. No domestic supplier. We had a sub close a local facility a few years ago and move everything to Indiana. Shipping would have killed us. A 50 year relationship between the companies ended. In my 24 years with the company we have lost more than a dozen subs and service suppliers that we dealt with for decades. As the US moves further towards a service economy manufacturing gets harder and harder. We don't do what we do in a vacuum.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:10 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
Whenever you can buy American!
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:38 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Heres a thought Prins.

See if you cant hunt down the employee's of these companies.
Often ,they have more first hand experience with product than all of the top end employee's.
An ad in the paper, maybe an interview , and a little something for their time.

To be honest gumshoe on a problem can reveal a lot more into the history , It would be an adventure all its own to meet the people .

Id start with the shippers and recievers ,and onto the factory floor.

As for your copper, I think the hardest a guy can get is Copper K tube.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:45 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-333 View Post
Whenever you can buy American!
Honda Accord or Toyota Camry it is!!!

Yep, I just bought the Honda Accord! If you're looking for a sedan, make sure it ranks the highest when it comes to using US made parts!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...rica/index.htm
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime