SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
Question
deepvee setup

Hi,I was just wanting to make sure this will work without to big of a fire. I got a
19" wood deepvee with a 2848 motor, 2700kv and will be running 3s lipo about 1300 mah. The prop is a 3 bladed about 4.4 cm dia. I can get a smaller prop if necessary. I have a solid shaft coming out the back of the boat at the bottom of the vee. Let me know if it will work. Thanks
hoffy1980 is offline Find More Posts by hoffy1980
Last edited by hoffy1980; Jun 16, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, IL, Fox Lake
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Pics of your setup would help. Is everything water cooled? 1300 mah will not give you a very long run time. Really too little info to make an acurate acessement of your situation.
motorfixer1 is offline Find More Posts by motorfixer1
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:51 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
I dont have motor mounted but it will be cooled with copper tubing wrapped around it and esc has built in cooling, rudder has pickup. Its not all the way done got to mount everything inside. Boat isnt as good as what most people do on here but I'm not to worried it is my first scratch built model ever. I still have to make a hatch. It doesnt have to go really fast just didnt want to burn anything up. I can try to upload a picture of it later.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:51 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
That prop will most likely be way too large.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
What would work 2 blade 27 mm? I got one of those also.What size motor would the 3blade 44 mm dia work with? Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:50 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
The 3 blade 44mm would work for a 36mm or larger motor. Plus you would get crazy torque roll at that size. I do not really know enough to be able to recommend something, but I'm pretty sure that the 27mm you have would be a good start.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
Thanks, I see what I can get done.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,955 Posts
Hi Hoffy,

Show us some pictures of your build please.

The rather small motor can get overloaded real quick if the set-up isn't right, the angle of the propshaft, sticking out the transom and the distance between the prop and the transom is rather important...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your motor is most likely a two pole motor, which tend to heat up when running partial throttle a lot, you'll need to run full throttle for 80% of the runtime to avoid overheating both motor and ESC.

A coil on a brushless motor is next to useless, specially on a two pole.
You'll need a cooling jacket where the water runs directly on the can.
Make sure the exit of the jacket sits at the highest point, to avoid the dreaded 'half motor cooling'...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:06 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
I didnt know that . I'm guessing wrapping copper tubing around the motor wont work? It will be a couple of weeks before I can try it anyway props I had were for 1/8" shaft. I still need the do a couple of things, but will take a couple pictures of it. It is ugly so be nice.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
Here is boat and also a picture of the linberg pt109 I am going to put a brushed motor in it because I had one that came out of it, got a cheap esc for it also.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 230.2 KB
Description:

Name: 002.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 297.9 KB
Description:

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 167.3 KB
Description:

I am not sure the turn fins are in the right place, it was there or on the bottom. The shaft is not installed nor is the motor mount(homemade from a bracket).Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:18 AM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
to ugly to help with???
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,955 Posts
Hi Hoffy,

Ugly? You should see some of my builds...

As mentioned earlier the coil isn't going tp prevent overheating, get a fitting jacket.

A universal coupler has no business in a high revving set-up, get a solid coupler.

The prop looks a bit big for the motor, so be careful when you run it, check the motor and ESC temperature at least every two minutes.

The turnfins are in the right place, maybe you'll have to change the angle a bit to get the best result.

Make sure the angle of the propshaft is as shallow as possible and thet the end of the stuffing tube sits 2 mm above the keelline.

The distance between the hub of the prop and the transom shouls be between 10-13% of the hull length.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
Thanks for info, water jacker and smaller props should be here in a couple of weeks. I can not find a 3.18 motor to 4 mm solid coupler. I was going to use a 1/8" shaft but dont have any thing for it but a dog bone set up for the ptboat dont think that will last. I'm wondering if you mean prop shaft should be up from the bottom of the boat or the water line? Should I worry about center of gravity also? I remember reading about off setting the shaft to one side but cant find it anywhere. I think it was to the right just a little but wasnt sure if that was like a car, drivers side left side. I'm not sure it is a problem with this small of a boat? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,955 Posts
Hi Hoffy,

Here's one of many eBay shops selling couplers (check the box for the correct size):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/CMT-STD-Alu-K...item4d0d23441a

Regarding the position of the propshaft, look here:

The angle as shallow as possible and the bearing just 2/16" (2 mm) free from the table the keel is resting on.

Rule of thumb is to have the CoG between 28 and 30% of the hullength, measured from the transom forward.

When your prop rotates counterclockwise, seen from the rear, offset the drivetrain (motor and propshaft) 3-4 mm to the right, to counteract propwalk.

Propwalk is a 'problem' with every single prop speedboat, the propwalk makes the boat veer off to the right, hence the offset drivetrain.

Another counter measure is to have the rudderblade next to the prop.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,955 Posts
Hi Hoffy,

Here's one of many eBay shops selling couplers (check the box for the correct size):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/CMT-STD-Alu-K...item4d0d23441a

Regarding the position of the propshaft, look here:

The angle as shallow as possible and the bearing just 2/16" (2 mm) free from the table the keel is resting on.

Rule of thumb is to have the CoG between 28 and 30% of the hullength, measured from the transom forward.

When your prop rotates counterclockwise, seen from the rear, offset the drivetrain (motor and propshaft) 3-4 mm to the right, to counteract propwalk.

The picture is of my 80 cm Arowana, so ignore the 13,5 mm height:

Propwalk is a 'problem' with every single prop speedboat, the propwalk makes the boat veer off to the right, hence the offset drivetrain.

Another counter measure is to have the rudderblade next to the prop.

Regards, Jan.