HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:40 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,724 Posts
Question
Best frequency for ground-based vehicles?

Good morning, been watching several videos of folks using FPV for R/C ground vehicles. That looks like a lot of fun and I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap off-road car and putting something together. I know this board is really for FPV aircraft, but I wanted to pose a question to see if someone can help: What would be the best frequency to use FPV on a ground-based vehicle? I'm assuming I'd need something other than 5.8 GHz for traveling around a neighborhood and/or any other obstructions? Any suggestions are appreciated - thank you!

*zips up flame suit*
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
No flame retardend apparell needed! It's a good question!
OK, so from what I have learnt the lower the frequency the better for ground. 5.8ghz will really struggle with any sort of obstacle and to get the same range as a lower frequency system you will need a much more powerfull transmitter. So 910mhz would be good - only problem is that there can be interference from other things on that frequency so maybe 1.2 ghz may be more interference free depending on the area you are in. If you already have a receiver you can flick around the different channels to see if there is interference around - you want "clean' static.
Higher power is good for longer range Circular polarised antennas also good for ground (dealing with obstacles and interference)
Also check out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...88665&page=217
and http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdispla...ROUND-POUNDERS
Also don't get a small car - Big is good and speed doesn't matter so much (things happen real quick on FPV) My favourite vehicle for FPV is my big slow (and cheap) 1/8 HSP Crawler (same as Maxstone). It only goes at a fast walk but on rough terain that is all you need.
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,729 Posts
If you can find a 434mhz video tx/rx then distance should be no problems.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,724 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. The links are great; I'm gonna read them in-depth when I have more time tomorrow. Looks like I can do a 1.3 GHz setup for ~$300 after you factor in transmitter, receiver, upgraded antennas, and camera. I also like the fact that most of the recievers I quickly looked at can easily plug into my FatShark googles.

Gotta read and research, and resist the urge to buy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,724 Posts
My friend and I tried his setup with a brushed Evader truck and a 100mW 5.8 GHz transmitter. It was fun bashing around his street but as soon as you started to turn the corner or got behind a bundle of trash, the video dropped off quickly. We tried again with the 600mW transmitter but his antenna pipe for the truck got lost, so we couldn't test the range. If I did this, I'd stick with 5.8GHz due to the fact I'd only need a transmitter. There are a couple of wide-open places in town that we shouldn't have a range issue with 5.8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
....Mike_Then.....

Get Circular Polarize (CP) antennas' and its night and day difference:-)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
....Mike_Then.....

Get Circular Polarize (CP) antennas' and its night and day difference:-)
Yup, that's what we were using.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Thats what Id recommend.. any updates?
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP