HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
Pitts 12 15e, "the Bandit" Maiden successful!

Just got in from a great first flight!

This is a tad nose-heavy, so I'll need to readjust my battery next flight. Evening was almost dead calm. Plane's axial and lateral trim was bang on, just 2-3 notches on the up trim for level flying at 50%.

I was surprised how FAST this plane flies, even at 45-50% throttle!

5-1/2 minute flight, with 1st 1.5 minutes closer to 65-70% throttle as I adjusted trim for 50% level out. Came in a bit hot on landing, but flared smooth onto the grassy field. No bounces or nose-ins!

I am going to have a hoot with this plane!

***Update: Just finished charging the pack. 1150mAh consumed of the available 2100 (75% level of the 2800mAh in this pack). Since I estimate a 7-7.5 minutes of general cruise based upon my static measurements with this system, the 5.5 is closer to 7 or so at 45-50% throttle. So, I should get around 12.5 min. if cruising, 9-10 with mixed flying, and probably 7-8 min with more aggressive aerobatic flying...

Smooth skies all! Enjoy the maiden video - thanks to Rob R. for shooting as best he could with the video - the plane went very fast - and hard to follow...

SkyCadet

Pitts12_15e_Maiden.flv (5 min 37 sec)
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
If you feel the plane is pulling down when throttling up, you may have to shim the motor up slightly.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Pitts 12

Thanks.

I don't think that was the issue, it was nosing down on throttle down, so I think it was a tad nose-heavy. I'll know for sure next flight.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll watch this - I can shim the motor if needed easily.

Cheers, and smooth skies to you!

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
Thanks.

I don't think that was the issue, it was nosing down on throttle down, so I think it was a tad nose-heavy. I'll know for sure next flight.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll watch this - I can shim the motor if needed easily.

Cheers, and smooth skies to you!

Darren/SkyCadet
Yes, you can shim the motor easily. Use a washer(s) under your motor extension(s) on the firewall, or behind the X mount to change the angle/thrust of the motor.

Using 3D or IMAC flying is a great example for set up. I wanted to share a video, but I cannot find it.

First, set up proper CG. To do this, fly a 45 degree angle up with power and invert the plane and dont touch the elevator. If it is nose heavy, it will come down rapidly, if close to CG point, it will only come down slightly. Tail heavy will climb inverted.

Once you have the CG close to where you want it, to check your thrust angles, fly the plane straight up at full throttle and see what happens. If it really needs a thrust adjustment for pulling down, it should pull towards the gear when trying to fly straight up. If it pulls to the gear, you will want to place a washer under the bottom extension(s) of the motor to point the motor slightly up, and then try it again until you get a plane flying straight up.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Gabriel.

I'll try that next time out. I tried flying today once with the battery a tad further back (about 3/8-1/2") and it seemed to fly better, and after TO I was able to go near vertical with it (still learning how the plane handles). I also flew in on approach slower, and it handled things just fine. Wind started to come up just near landing, so only one flight so far today...

Cheers!

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!