HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,243 Posts
AV8 engine

Always liked this design.
RC TurboFan jetcat engine (0 min 38 sec)
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
PAINT IS ON! for the most part, it looks pretty good. the paint covered really well. it was thick, my first time using it, so i ended up with a couple runs/sags. im debating on wet sanding it and polishing, or just leaving as is. lol. man, im glad thats over with!!!!!
Awesome wingman...It's a big mile stone in a build when the paint goes on...great work..I bet it looks fantastic.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,040 Posts
looks good for a free paint job!! lol

yeah, did a tack coat first, this stuff is slow drying though. it looks pretty good, ill just do a little sanding ect. the real ones arnt super glossy anyhow. more of a semi gloss after a couple years in the sun.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:57 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
A baby Pegasus.........
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
Did you ever close up the cheater holes?
Still have the cheater holes. I figure it's flying pretty good and didn't want to close em' up until after I get a few flights in Vegas with it. The second day of the event I will experiment with it a little and try closing them off and see how she flys.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Still have the cheater holes. I figure it's flying pretty good and didn't want to close em' up until after I get a few flights in Vegas with it. The second day of the event I will experiment with it a little and try closing them off and see how she flys.
I think that's smart. Go with the known quantity and then you have a better frame of reference. And a lot of eyes and video cameras to give some good feedback at the event.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i would save the testing for te lake bed....thats just me ...these lake beds have saved many a plane.if you take off performance suffers from closing them up ...the "swamp thing" might reach up and grab your beauty
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:51 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
where are you with your bird ?,C/N , got the servos in yet?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Well wingman I figure we can't fly these T-38's without the proper attire so I got us a couple T-shirts.

Yours has #559 on the back greasin' it in for a landing
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:24 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,040 Posts
man thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like were in the same boat andy. with those huge packs, im looking at around 42lbs now.....geez. that paint job was about 3 lbs, add in the canopy and other body work i did. complete airframe is 22lbs. (aka....yikes!) ill have 10kw or so, so it should fly, and it should be fairly fast, but its going to fly JUST like a real one lol. a little doggy like!

i got the black on the fwd fuse, and i scotch brited the whole thing to kill the gloss, then i put the decals on. it looks pretty awesome. those runs were really hard to get rid of, so you can pretty much still see them. i hope once the panel lines are on, the eyes will be distracted. haha.

man, after all this work, i hope it flies lol
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,040 Posts
as a side note, i may end up using my 5000 packs for the first flight. they are a total of 4.5lbs lighter than the 8000's. i might be able to get 4 min from them. if it will fly on 8000's it should see 6-6.5 min.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:53 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Wow decals on ..cool. Your almost there.

On 10,000 watts you should have a real good flyer. My maiden was on 10S and 7500 watts at 6000 feet and 42 pounds. With the full ducting and 10,000 watts I bet she will fly real nice. On my first flight due to it's size I remember as it broke ground and slowly climbed out I had to kind of re calibrate my judgment as she can look like it's going slow but actually is moving quite nicely.

Ref your paint run .. mine has a ton of blemishes that my cheap camera just doesn't pick up on. I think I will squirm a little when beanie and the boys pull out the those HD super zoom 2 foot long lenses.
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:57 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
It's not "just" about the paint job here... trust me I think all of us know you want these to be perfect but I would probably just go mute and pass out if these jets were "perfect" being the first of their kind, groundbreaking new things in themselves. The first F-117 looked like a Winnebago at Burning Man painted blue. The production runs looked much better (for an F-117 that is... we have to make allowances for ugly gals like the stealth because they try harder). You guys are way ahead of the curve in that they actually "look like" a real T-38 and have been scaled out so nicely!!! Plus they are such a big deal in so many other ways. These scratch built T-38's are incredible even if they don;t have a "Top Gun" paint job on them "yet". If you have the time, inclination and weight budget that's really easy to do later.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,040 Posts
ok, so you had only 7500W before, that makes me feel much better! i think full ducting will help too. i have a solid 100% fsa, so once its up to speed, it should fly well. i think your landing speed will be much lower in vegas compared to 6,000 feet. thats relly high, plus you have to figure density alt was 8000+ on the days you flew it. thanks for making me feel better.

yeah eddie, in all reality, im just super hard on my own finishes....the model is so overwhelming to look at in all its awesomeness, you really dont even notice stuff like that lol. maybe its because i am a LO guy by trade, seeing things like that just piss me off lol. whats good is you have to step back 10 feet just to see the whole thing at one time, so from back there, youll never see theem haha.

wingman, im still trippin on the shirts!!!! lol. i had this thing all put together last night....and i was just like....ohhhhh man....this is sooo freaking cool!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:45 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,040 Posts
whats mostly left now is servo install, and getting the gear doors working ect. ill have her finished for sure, especially since i just found out i dont have to go to work on monday lol