HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:49 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Very nice Russ, its a cryin shame your gonna set her up "Backwards/Wrong" and no one local will be able to fly it!!!!
I'll let gmo fly it.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
I'll let gmo fly it.
I like that cool
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
Um Russ, the tails I sent were for a righty. Do I need to spin you out another set?

Just curious.

Tom
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Um Russ, the tails I sent were for a righty. Do I need to spin you out another set?

Just curious.

Tom
I may fly with the elevator on the left, but I'm right handed
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
Ah... the mode thingy. Gotcha
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2012
81 Posts
Hey Tom,

Any ideas or updates on what a lightweight lay up might look like? I've really been loving the looks of the pictures posted, seems that the solid core molding is going excellent.

Cheers,
Barry
barryplem is offline Find More Posts by barryplem
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
Looks wise it will be the same as the full carbon one posted earlier. I'll be reducing the size of the doublers a bit (which aren't visible because they're under the main skin) and moving to 38kgm^3 Rohacell 31IGF which sheds about 6-8g from the cores alone. Rohacell is a bit lighter and more consistent in density than the PVC based foam I've been using to date. I also will probably skinny down the spar just a bit as I believe it's wider than need be.

I'd hope to get the lightweight under 120g consistently. Last year I made a couple of wings under 115g but they weren't durable enough for my satisfaction... got a bit ratty after just a few contests. MattN blew one up too which was a bit red flag. I replaced it with one in the mid 120s and to my knowledge he hasn't been able to break that one yet. I blew up the other one but that was in a hurricane with 3oz ballast in NC so I'll give that wing a pass.

An update on the process... I've pulled eight wings since moving to solid core and shipped two. The last two were the first that were production quality IMHO, and still not yet perfect. I'm getting the scrap rate down now but I wasted alot of materials on the process. I got more rohacell and PVC foam today, another gallon of MGS yesterday, and my RnG order has cleared customs with a bunch of the 64g/sm Textreme so I'll be banging lots of stuff out in the next couple weeks. I have enough tail rohacell for about 3 years and now I have enough wing foam for my next 30-40 models.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
My latest pulls... I burned through alot of the Vlad material this weekend. All of these wings are between 125 and 130g, and I played with some different LE finishes.

Two of these are going into boxes tomorrow to head West for JEM. The third is going to be built out for further testing by yours truly.

After playing with the 64g/m^2 Textreme a bit, I think I'll be switching over to this for my D-box wings (standard layup) to pull the weight down a bit. The material is very very similar to the 80g stuff but the 12k tows are spread to 25mm wide instead of 20mm. For our uses, I think it's still overkill but it's the smallest denomination available.

It's good to be back in the shop. For those of you who don't know, I have been fighting bronchitis over the past few weeks and even spent a night in the hospital right before Christmas. Now that I'm off the antibiotics, my energy level is coming back up and I'm getting back in the shop. I hope to get a couple more standard layup wings done this week and satisfy a few more of the backlogged orders.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,566 Posts
Quote:

After playing with the 64g/m^2 Textreme a bit, I think I'll be switching over to this for my D-box wings (standard layup) to pull the weight down a bit. The material is very very similar to the 80g stuff but the 12k tows are spread to 25mm wide instead of 20mm. For our uses, I think it's still overkill but it's the smallest denomination available.
Glad you are feeling better, Tom.

Here's a question for you about the ST carbon:
For a full sized TD plane, of the 3 choices (Vlad STF, 64G Tex, 80g Tex), what would you think to be the best for bagged wing models, in both a full carbon layup, and a d-box layup (Kevlar behind the spar)?
Thanks in advance, impressive work!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:34 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
Tom, glad you are feeling better. Those are some very nice looking wings. The light paint looks plenty sufficient for me but I like lightweight.

Target, 80g tex for a TD ship unless going for a lightweight wing, where I would use the 3 layer Vlad on that size wing.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:44 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
What Sam said ^^^

If you're doing a full spread tow wing, maybe consider 64g Textreme to cut a bit more weight... but otherwise 80g Textreme would be the choice, especially if doing a D-box. Consideration has to be given to the construction method of course... F3J or TD ships have alot different requirements to survive the launch than do DLGs. I would feel perfectly good about a Supra type construction with even the lightest skins.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
Nice paint Schemes Tom- Those Look aewsome!!!
Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,566 Posts
Thanks Sam and Tom....
Personally, I view paint as a functional item (to see the plane) and have never understood folks that complain about patchy paint. To me, that shows that the builder is geared towards performance, and the flying quality of the plane.
We buy the planes to fly, not as static show models...That's my thinking on paint. If you can see it, you're good.

Happy New Year.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,705 Posts
You know, it's funny. I always wondered how much paint I was using, so I double sprayed PVA in my molds a couple weeks back and painted one wing. Then I carefully peeled the PVA up and weighed the painted side... then weighed the unpainted side to figure out what the PVA weighed, subtracted the two etc. A dusting like shown above with a dusting of clear coat and bars painted on the bottom (about 2/3 coverage) weighs 9g total. Making the stripes and bars opaque with clearcoat is around 13-14g.

I felt really OCD when I was peeling the "sheets" of painted PVA off the wing molds. I'm not sure why I had to quantify the paint weights but I feel better now that I did.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Esprit Model
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Aug 2006
85 Posts
Quote:
I felt really OCD when I was peeling the "sheets" of painted PVA off the wing molds. I'm not sure why I had to quantify the paint weights but I feel better now that I did.
Don't waste time questioning why. Answering questions like this just make your already incredible work just that much better.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

David
Techflyer is offline Find More Posts by Techflyer