SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Its always nice seeing someone make something their own. Great job on the paint scheme, looks very clean. Are the graphics from Callie Graphics water slide? They look great.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Thanks! I always say I don't have the builder or mod skills many do here but I do like to paint my planes non-stock liveries.

Callie's graphics are not water slide...They are the kind you peel off, lay on the surface, scratch the back of the paper until they adhere then peel off the backing. Very easy, waterproof and excellent quality.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Aros, are they printed on a clear material? I know this sounds like an odd question, but does Callie Graphics print white ink on the graphics? I work for a large custom graphics and print company and know that it is extremely impressive if you can actually "print" white.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
That's a good question. Most of my decals have other colors in them so I'm not sure. I'll ask the question to her and get back to you...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Aros, are they printed on a clear material? I know this sounds like an odd question, but does Callie Graphics print white ink on the graphics? I work for a large custom graphics and print company and know that it is extremely impressive if you can actually "print" white.
Here's her response...

I'm afraid I don't have the ability to print white on clear. The best I can do is cut from plain white or printed white vinyl. Fortunately, my machines are capable of cutting vinyl quite small, so many times we can work around this issue. However, whenever I can afford the equipment (don't hold your breath, might be awhile!) I'm certainly going to upgrade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Great to know, thanks for the response Aros. Ill have to place an order with her. Our vinyl cutters here at my work cant cut too small of designs....maybe 1/4" letters being the smallest.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Just an update to say that I am really loving this jet - I'm now to the point where I am flying exclusively with the vectoring on. As was mentioned earlier, once you figure out the approach style, it is actually way easier to nail a landing with that extra command of the tail. It makes for a more realistic-looking, mains-only touchdown and you can really hold the nose off the deck for a long time - Just be careful not to let it slam down! It took me 3 or 4 attempts before I had it down-pat.

On another note, something kind of strange happened to me yesterday, and I'm hoping that you experts can help me understand what might have happened. While running my first of two packs last night, I came in for my final landing of the night - It was picture perfect, and the rollout was normal. However, when I began to turn it around it just stopped. No sounds, nothing broken, it just stopped responding to throttle inputs. As I approached the plane, I could see that all control surfaces were responding normally, but the throttle channel was unresponsive. I cautiously pulled the battery and put the new one in, conducted a range test with throttle and flew again - The issue did not return, and the first pack was not overdischarged - the lowest cell reads 3.80. Anybody else experienced this in the past?
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
JGuilty13 - You won't be disappointed. She's turned my planes from cool looking to WOW! with just a few minutes of applying her decals. Really sets the tone.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; Feb 22, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Roswalt, what kind of receiver are you using? I had a similar experience with an ar6200 (or ar600?) from Spektrum (real one, not a knock-ff). Lost only my throttle controls during a flight...checked everything......worked again for a few flights and then stopped working for good. The receiver was garbage at that point, it never worked again.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
I'm using a FrSky D8R-II, and those receivers have been nothing but 100% bulletproof for me thus far. I'm eternally thankful that I lost power on the still end of a taxi event, and not on the recovery of a maneuver off in the distance!

It didn't give a hiccup or any indication of diminshed reception - Plus it is a telemetry-enabled system and will beep at me if the signal gets weak or receiver voltage drops too low. None of those things happened, but after I had been off the throttle for a few seconds on the ground, it never came back until the next pack. That battery has been slightly overtaxed twice before (Thanks to my power-hog twin 70mm Su-35) and I'm wondering if the battery or ESC could have had something to do with it.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Yikes that's pretty scary...Glad it happened on the ground...Plus with control surfs still working you would have been able to land fine most likely but still...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
I had something happen similar with my ar7010 receiver. I re-bound the receiver and it still didn't work. I then reset my throttle set-point & bam! Worked again. Had it happen on another receiver but it was because the satellite plug was partially unplugged. So not sure if that'll help but I almost sent my receives in cuz I couldnt figure it out.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:23 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I'm using a FrSky D8R-II, and those receivers have been nothing but 100% bulletproof for me thus far. I'm eternally thankful that I lost power on the still end of a taxi event, and not on the recovery of a maneuver off in the distance!

It didn't give a hiccup or any indication of diminshed reception - Plus it is a telemetry-enabled system and will beep at me if the signal gets weak or receiver voltage drops too low. None of those things happened, but after I had been off the throttle for a few seconds on the ground, it never came back until the next pack. That battery has been slightly overtaxed twice before (Thanks to my power-hog twin 70mm Su-35) and I'm wondering if the battery or ESC could have had something to do with it.
Doesn't sound like your throttle endpoints were off. Did you land with low-to-mid throttle? ESC's run at low efficiency (high thermal heat generation) at the lower end, thermal shutdown might have hit the ESC, but a separate BEC would have kept the servos running.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Ahhh.... You could be on to something. I do have an external BEC wired in on this one, which would serve to isolate my control surfaces from the throttle. I was suspecting ESC issues already, and your theory of low-throttle/high-heat would make sense because my slow taxi at the end of a flight would certainly get the ESC working. Interesting...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Had a hairy landing today. Flew at the school, nobody was there when I took off. Winds were crosswind, breezier than I like...But it's the only dry day for awhile. A firetruck pulls in with three firemen. They were excited to watch it and were asking me questions about it. When it was time to come down (which was pretty much when they pulled up next to me) I had to walk behind them and try to land closer to the curb as I would have liked as their firetruck was taking up much of my runway, lol...

So I came in and of course right as I flare a crosswind wind gust kicks the wing up and I had a very hard bounce on the starboard main and I jammed the throttle for a go-around. This time I thought maybe the grass next to the parking lot would be okay. Seemed short enough with a soft landing. Well I came in and when the mains hit they tore right out of their mounts. Dang it!!

I tested them and they still work fine but the starboard that took the initial brunt of the first landing attempt has some yaw play. Other than that I epoxied them back to their mount and they seem to work fine. Other than some small tears and gouges, she escaped relatively without harm.

Always an adventure!
RCG Plus Member