SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
What about a 1400Kv motor that can cope with a 4S Battery pack...
That'd bump it up from 15500 RPM up to 20700 RPM, that should should get ya doing some vertical, or tear the wings off or burn something out!!?

Or enter all your plane's details and try to figure out how to use this calculator!!
propCalc

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
What about a 1400Kv motor that can cope with a 4S Battery pack...
That'd bump it up from 15500 RPM up to 20700 RPM, that should should get ya doing some vertical, or tear the wings off or burn something out!!?

Or enter all your plane's details and try to figure out how to use this calculator!!
propCalc

B!LL!
But don't try 4cells on that motor.....

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor

Specs:
Rpm/V: 1400kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
Weight: 50g
Watts: 205w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 40A
Suggested Prop: 7x4(3S) ~ 9x4.7 (2S)
Mounting Hole Bolt Circle: 16mm or 19mm

Notice suggested prop size for 3 cells.

I hate calculators. I still use a slide rule.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
But don't try 4cells on that motor.....

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor

Specs:
Rpm/V: 1400kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
Weight: 50g
Watts: 205w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 40A
Suggested Prop: 7x4(3S) ~ 9x4.7 (2S)
Mounting Hole Bolt Circle: 16mm or 19mm

Notice suggested prop size for 3 cells.

I hate calculators. I still use a slide rule.
+1. As you know, I have lots and LOTS of motors to try all kinds of silly things on just because I can. Of course, from time to time, I burn up motors. So, anyhow, the +1...... I tried a 6x4 and 4S on that exact motor. It was 42Ap on the bench. So, I put it on a plane. Well, after less than 30s of WOT, I offered it to the smoke gods and they accepted it gratefully. So, I have proof that does not require a calculator or slide rule. Conclusion: DON'T do it. In my experience the manufactures already stretch the specs of their motors (Grayson and MicroDan are two exceptions that come to mind).
AJ
P.S. Of course, I have to say it... My slide rule can beat up your slide rule.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 09, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
287 Posts
Removable Wings

Having spent several hours studying the detachable wing ideas, I think I see a problem. It manifest it's self as a broken Carbon-fiber (CF) rod.
1) Velcro doesn't hold the wings in compression and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
2) A rubber band only on top or bottom of the wing pulls the wing up or down respectively, which allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
3) The forward leading edge stress on the wing opens a gap at the front intersection of the two wing halves and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight stress.

It seems to me the solution is to attach rubber bands (2) near the front edge of the wing on both sides.
AND attach rubber bands (2) in the center of the wing, over the CF rod on both either side. Also put tough-tape over the slots in the wings where the servo wires run.
Reinforcement of the fuse's wing slot over the rubber bands seems like a good idea.

The only advantage of velcro is to allow a poor but safe landing if all 4 bands broke, but that is not likely.

Your thoughts?
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:56 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1. As you know, I have lots and LOTS of motors to try all kinds of silly things on just because I can. Of course, from time to time, I burn up motors. So, anyhow, the +1...... I tried a 6x4 and 4S on that exact motor. It was 42Ap on the bench. So, I put it on a plane. Well, after less than 30s of WOT, I offered it to the smoke gods and they accepted it gratefully. So, I have proof that does not require a calculator or slide rule. Conclusion: DON'T do it. In my experience the manufactures already stretch the specs of their motors (Grayson and MicroDan are two exceptions that come to mind).
AJ
P.S. Of course, I have to say it... My slide rule can beat up your slide rule.
Thanks for or your help and advice guys but to be honest its getting way to complicated...Slide rules etc...I have only been flying for about a year
Will stick with the motor I have got, build a new mount out of Ply so I can attach a bigger prop. and all should be good.
One thing I did notice that after a few months my original prop mount came loose.
I hot glued her in and I swear she is a different bird!...smooth

ands
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:01 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
300 Posts
Just for fun
If you have a thing 125mm wide and you want it 487mm wide, whats the persentage of enlargement? not to scale i might add
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Just for fun
If you have a thing 125mm wide and you want it 487mm wide, whats the persentage of enlargement? not to scale i might add
264 percent wider.

Unless it's a full moon.
Last edited by 2500GENE; Jun 09, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Thanks for or your help and advice guys but to be honest its getting way to complicated...Slide rules etc...I have only been flying for about a year
Will stick with the motor I have got, build a new mount out of Ply so I can attach a bigger prop. and all should be good.
One thing I did notice that after a few months my original prop mount came loose.
I hot glued her in and I swear she is a different bird!...smooth

ands
I generally use my slide rule to scratch my back.

You have a good plan. Try the 7x4 prop and let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
I am just catching up on posts here, but I had a 2.80# Bix, stock motor with all the other bells and so on (6.5x4 apc, FY31a, 3200 mAh TurNIgy, dragon osd, 540dvi cam pan/tilt, 5.8 Ghz 500 mW TVx...). It went up and 2 seconds later, nose down. This the maiden voyage, I observed in wonder as I was looking at the tail of the plane and the nose, all at the same time. CG set at 65mm from leading edge... thought it felt 'nose heavy' but I stayed with manufacture specs... not sure if pushing main battery back a bit --->CG@70mm would have helped...

and Video... Yeah I forgot to plug that one cable in. My conclusion, stock motor on 11.1V 3S @ 265W with 24-26A at full throttle yields roughly 80Watt/#, on my setup. I didn't get a thrust reading but I am a believer it is not enough. Solution: getting new motor and external adapter to run 8x5 to 10x8 on 4S for testing. Theoretically, 14V batt at 30A will provide over 400 watts on a 1450kV. Will test and find out before trying that again...
Well I was amazed with you capacity to play Tetris! Because I also have the FY-31, also need a video TX, and have almost everything that you have but I needed a bigger pod, in layer's, for all the electronics!
How did you managed to put everything inside, with that pod? Do you have more photos with the inside layout in detail?
I'm thinking seriously about the DOSD, because it's only one unit and I can use PPM, so I will have less cables...
It's OK to have a CG in the 70mm? I'm on the 65mm but I need to had more unnecessary weight to get the plane leveled.

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Hi,
First post, firstly want to thank all for very useful tips i p/u from this thread. It helped get back
into flying after break of 2years. Really loving it untill this morning when disappointment struck.
For the third time since flying i flew my plane out of sight. I only had one returned to me.
Im only glad i hadnt fitted the Telemtry gear i hav ready to install.
Have you guys any tips on how i can prevent thsi happening again. Maybe telemtry with a
warning when im getting to far away, what do u think.

Why is it that planes always find the most destructive or in unreachable area to get into.
I was flying in a park that had a small reserve no bigger than 100metres by 30 with thickly
wooded area and i could not find it.
Mind u i have had another Bixler on order as i really love flying this and new some day would need another one.
Regards
Les
iwik is offline Find More Posts by iwik
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
264 percent wider.

Unless it's a full moon.
You mean a BLUE moon.

My slide rule is a K & E Log-Log scale type. New when I bought it in 1971. Old now. At least it doesn't run on batteries.

I use it to fill a gap between some books in my bookcase.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
Having spent several hours studying the detachable wing ideas, I think I see a problem. It manifest it's self as a broken Carbon-fiber (CF) rod.
1) Velcro doesn't hold the wings in compression and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
2) A rubber band only on top or bottom of the wing pulls the wing up or down respectively, which allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
3) The forward leading edge stress on the wing opens a gap at the front intersection of the two wing halves and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight stress.

It seems to me the solution is to attach rubber bands (2) near the front edge of the wing on both sides.
AND attach rubber bands (2) in the center of the wing, over the CF rod on both either side. Also put tough-tape over the slots in the wings where the servo wires run.
Reinforcement of the fuse's wing slot over the rubber bands seems like a good idea.

The only advantage of velcro is to allow a poor but safe landing if all 4 bands broke, but that is not likely.

Your thoughts?
IF one were to follow prof"s suggestion to glue in the wings to the fusalage, and to go one step furthur, as in also glue the two wing,halves togeather {as in apply glue to seperate wing halves as your about to glue wings to the fusalage}. Make sense to you??
Would not that solve the problem that you are bringing up??
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Jun 09, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
539 Posts
Subscribed...
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:02 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Welcome to the big giant thread.
Folks here are most helpful{when there not cracking wise}, looking at you GENE..
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
I am just catching up on posts here, but I had a 2.80# Bix, stock motor with all the other bells and so on (6.5x4 apc, FY31a, 3200 mAh TurNIgy, dragon osd, 540dvi cam pan/tilt, 5.8 Ghz 500 mW TVx...). It went up and 2 seconds later, nose down. This the maiden voyage, I observed in wonder as I was looking at the tail of the plane and the nose, all at the same time. CG set at 65mm from leading edge... thought it felt 'nose heavy' but I stayed with manufacture specs... not sure if pushing main battery back a bit --->CG@70mm would have helped...

and Video... Yeah I forgot to plug that one cable in. My conclusion, stock motor on 11.1V 3S @ 265W with 24-26A at full throttle yields roughly 80Watt/#, on my setup. I didn't get a thrust reading but I am a believer it is not enough. Solution: getting new motor and external adapter to run 8x5 to 10x8 on 4S for testing. Theoretically, 14V batt at 30A will provide over 400 watts on a 1450kV. Will test and find out before trying that again...
Sounds fishy. I have a 2.6# SkySurfer and it flies just fine with the stock motor and 6x4 prop. I usually balance it between 50-60mm but even when I forget to check my CG and its nose heavy Ive never had it dive like that.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero