HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Ok. Quickly figured out my gear problem. It wasn't collapsing, it was cycling!

Last night I had mounted the wing before packing the van and have everything ready to go in the morning. I did multiple visual checks to make sure all my servo extensions were tucked away in the channels on each side of the fan housing. Before loading up, I taxied it around in the street in front of the house. Our street is not real smooth so it's a bit of a bouncy taxi test.

When I got home from the field today to debug the problem I powered up the rx with my rx pack but could not get the problem retract to collapse. Then I hooked up the lipo that powers the fan and eased into the throttle. As soon as the fan started to rotate the retract started cycling up and down. Hmmmm. I looked through the intake and could see one of the servo extentions hanging in front of the fan.

I unplugged the lipo and left the rx powered on. Took off the wing and could get the retract to cycle just by wiggling the wires. Turns out the fan ate half the plastic extension connector leaving all three wires bare. My guess is taxing around our not so smooth street caused the extension to work it's way out and into the front of the fan. Good news is it's an easy fix.

Not so good news. This is what my rotor looks like now. The damage doesn't look to bad but I'm not so sure I want to run the fan up again without replacing the rotor.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Too bad about the fan blades but consider it lucky to happen on the ground. Perhaps you can just buy the blades at Xflight to repair your fan.
Retracts have given us our share of grief but now we have found the large servoless type to be very reliable. Not any issues with about 100 flights combined with the F100 & F-18.
With the CG at 280 you will notice easier takeoff rotation and slower stall and approach speeds.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; May 13, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Ordered new blades earlier this evening. You're right, I'm glad it happened on the ground and that it was the retract lead and not the aileron. Might not have noticed that until in the air and that would not have been pretty!
Old May 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Hope to fly mine this week, or early next, its been pretty windy here lately.
This will my second flight, but first with the CS 12 blade.(burnt out a cheap turnigy typhoon heli motor on a Hayo 7 blade, on the maiden).
I just spent hours balancing the fan dynamically( at 10,000 rpm) and it is smooth as silk, I hope it hangs in there and sounds Cool in the air !(as it doesnt sound much different to the Haeyo during static test on the ground).
Anyway, I am glad this thread has sparked back to life Keep em coming fellas.
Steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old May 14, 2012, 02:26 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliclown View Post
This will my second flight, but first with the CS 12 blade.(burnt out a cheap turnigy typhoon heli motor on a Hayo 7 blade, on the maiden).
I just spent hours balancing the fan dynamically( at 10,000 rpm) and it is smooth as silk, I hope it hangs in there and sounds Cool in the air !(as it doesnt sound much different to the Haeyo during static test on the ground).
Steve
HC,

Please do a vid if you can. I am dying to hear what the CS12 sounds like in the Sabre.
Good luck.
Graham
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old May 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
Mine has been on hold whilst I have been testing CS12 setups in "semi happy, semi disgust" on the results. But now I am pretty well satisfied. Going to go for the 4074-1400 on 7S or 8S.
But now the pain of getting batteries to do that job just for that specific plane. And I want two sets at least.... if not three. And that also means making a CHOICE and then that is it - which an 8S set of batteries is a bit more flexible for the future than 7S.
Or if I weaken, I will run that on 6S first, just to get it going before sooking over that need to spend more money on the batteries for it! lol.

So... it is time to get back to completing it.....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old May 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrimmer View Post
...The damage doesn't look to bad but I'm not so sure I want to run the fan up again without replacing the rotor.
X-flight cells fans blades for 30 shipped...get some...looks like someone bought this line of fans from CS...hopefully not to raise the price on everyone
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old May 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
...(as it doesnt sound much different to the Haeyo during static test on the ground)...
A well balanced 7 blade can compete with the CS12 on sound...

Believe it or not it's harder to get the 7 blade balanced than the 12 blade IMHO...

Working with the 127mm 7 blade fan is a pain

But they're inexpensive and a reinforced motor mount does great
Old May 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
X-flight cells fans blades for 30 shipped...get some...looks like someone bought this line of fans from CS...hopefully not to raise the price on everyone
Thanks. I ordered them last night. I like that you can get all the individual parts instead of having to order the whole fan unit. X-flight even sells individual blades for $2 each.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
Quote:
Steve
What technique are you using to initially static balance the CS fan? Or are you just assembling it, making sure it runs true, and then rotating the fan on the motor shaft until it runs smooth?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
What technique are you using to initially static balance the CS fan? Or are you just assembling it, making sure it runs true, and then rotating the fan on the motor shaft until it runs smooth?
That with the extra step of making sure the motor shaft adapter is balanced in same way.

If the cone has run out it could make balancing the hole thing a pain, more balanced motor shaft = less run out on the cone IMHE
Old May 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
Thanks for the info. I tend to use HET, NEU and Hacker motors and fortunately those motors are well balanced before leaving the shops. But I do have a no name inexpensive outrunner that's in my F-86 currently running a Jetfan90 fan. I suspect that motor is slightly out of balance as the JF90 rotor is extremely well balanced and no amount of turning the rotor on the shaft improved the resonance at 1/4 throttle.

By run out on the adapter - the easy way to "see" that is any perceptible wobble motion of the spinner tip when running, right? I know if that's the case the adapter is probably unusable? Are the 5mm Xflight purple adapter sets any better than the silver ones that initially came with the CS90?

I plan to get a HET 700-60 specifically for that plane this week to address the resonance and also optimize my setup. The F-86 I'm flying is a good in flight test bed for the fan I'll be putting into my F-100 very soon.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
...By run out on the adapter - the easy way to "see" that is any perceptible wobble motion of the spinner tip when running, right? I know if that's the case the adapter is probably unusable? Are the 5mm Xflight purple adapter sets any better than the silver ones that initially came with the CS90?...
Nah, they're pretty much all the same. When I notice some wobble I make sure tap the shaft on the motor one way or the other. There was some tolerances at first in the motor shaft but I think all of that is gone, I'll have to heat my 120mm blade shaft up to get it off or on.

Quote:
...I plan to get a HET 700-60 specifically for that plane this week to address the resonance and also optimize my setup. The F-86 I'm flying is a good in flight test bed for the fan I'll be putting into my F-100 very soon.
The CS's were tested with HETs, prolly best plug and go motor for the fans
Old May 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
I use the HET 600-32 on 5S with a HET fan and Hyperion ESC.

Smooth, reliable, great flight.

I was flying the F-100 last saturday at the club, and a felow who was looking the plane said to me: Great plane, beautiful flight. I response that it wasn't realy fast plane. And he said back: It has so beautiful flight that has no need for more speed.
I had to agree with him.
olivergottlieb is offline Find More Posts by olivergottlieb
Old May 15, 2012, 03:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Graham D

HC,

Please do a vid if you can. I am dying to hear what the CS12 sounds like in the Sabre.
Good luck.
Graham
Sorry Graham,wont be any video of the maiden, but I think Dionysus has great video a few pages back ,which has good sound,.
Steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown