HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:02 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined May 2008
227 Posts
Discussion
CMPro Warhawk

I've got one of these, and it does fly!!!!

problem is, engine keeps going dead....has anyone had to change the fuel tank level to match the spray bar??

Thanks

Mac
macshaz is offline Find More Posts by macshaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:46 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
no, my 82 running fine

going dead, too lean, bad plug, air leak?
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined May 2008
227 Posts
Spitfire,

you on 4s?

Mac
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:11 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
is your fuel tank buffered from vibration , if not the air bubbles will allow you to run and run well for about 5 to 10 mins , then wala , they will shut you down every time
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
another thing is it could be over heating, turn the HS needle out a little and see if that helps, if not most likely fuel foaming.

what fuel are you running?
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by commrad
another thing is it could be over heating, turn the HS needle out a little and see if that helps, if not most likely fuel foaming.

what fuel are you running?
yep, a lean run causes overheating, sagging and then stop. Richen that sucker.

4s????? How come you asked that? No,Saito 82
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:10 AM
Birmingham UK
Joined May 2008
227 Posts
Sorry 4 stroke....
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spitfire
yep, a lean run causes overheating, sagging and then stop. Richen that sucker.
even if it's rich on the ground, air flow could be the culprit. can you post a pic of you install? I had a plane once that looked like it had good airflow and ran very cool on the ground (had it 1k rpm below peak) and in the air it would over heat in less than 2-3 minutes and die. had some very weird aerodynamics in the air that stopped it from cooling.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by commrad
even if it's rich on the ground, air flow could be the culprit. can you post a pic of you install? I had a plane once that looked like it had good airflow and ran very cool on the ground (had it 1k rpm below peak) and in the air it would over heat in less than 2-3 minutes and die. had some very weird aerodynamics in the air that stopped it from cooling.

Yep, good point. I forgot to say that i cut out a serious of slots underneath to aid the air flow
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
that's how mine was that was overheating in the air. does the head stick out of the cowl? the head of an engine is really the only thing that has to be cooled. are all 3 vents in the chin cowl open? the 2 upper ones can actually be closed off. 1 thing you could do is to use a thin sheet of balsa and build a false bottom on the cowl that is closed at the front (glued directly to the cowl and raised about a 1/4 inch or so at the rear). this will create a rather large gain in airflow.

just looked at the openings in the front, the lower hole isn't scale so scratch closing the top 2. another thing you could do is to make the chin cowl functional which would be effective.

after looking at my P51 I ended up going with a larger engine so the head would stick out of the cowl and I have never had a heat related issue . the valve cover is even with the cowl in the rear and about 1/4 inch above the cowl in the front. to be honest just looking at mine you would swear it would fry after a few minutes but it does great. I've seen some that look like they would cool the crap out of an engine and after a few minutes of running they boil off fuel.

try running with out the cowl on if you feel it may be heat related and see what happens.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:08 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
[QUOTE=commrad]can you post a pic of you install? QUOTE]

Lets see it
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,018 Posts
slot out sould be at leaste 50% of slot in

I was assuming that you have the air in and an outlet cut for air out ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined May 2008
227 Posts
I've lowered the tank by about 30mm, botoom of the tank was higher than the spray bar....

Pics attached, please excuse the cowl damage, that was the last deadstick!![/IMG]
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
ok, let me ask another question, did the engine look like that when you installed it? all that baked on castor looks like it's been hot. my OS 10 has over 20 hours on it and still doesn't have the baked on castor, even my nearly 20 year old OS 40 fp doesn't have it. my 5 hour run time Magnum four stroke has some on the exhaust pipe.

looks like you may have a considerably higher inlet than exhaust on the airflow which is a bad thing.

just my misguided opinion.

I took the liberty to borrow your pic. I think you would do better with the gray areas covered, I see you opened up the chin cowl. again just my opinion.

you could try contacting KentuckyColonelon on here, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and if I remember correctly he's flown his share of CMP's
Last edited by commrad; Sep 18, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
btw an easy way to close off the air before you do a permanent block off install would be to use some duct tape over the holes and try it with the expectation that it will die, if it helps then maybe look at a more permanent fix.

here's a pic of all the cooling I have on p51. the hole for the valve cover is tear drop shaped to allow glow plug access.