Old Jun 04, 2014, 07:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,356 Posts
Discussion
D-Day + 70Y

Just around the corner.

I recall, just about this day in 1994, I was catching a flight to London from Detroit. In the DTW departure area was a pair of tall lean men, almost twins in appearance, both proudly wearing their WWII uniforms. I didn't recognize the uniforms, but their red berets and white mustaches made me think they were British paratroopers, expats or maybe Canadians on their way back to the 50th anniversary commemorations at Normandy.

Not too many of these gents left today.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
There was a good documentary on TV about the Normandy landings the over day. Rather than re-telling the story over and over again, they focused on the battle from the perspective of the sea and found hundreds of wrecks on the seabed that no one had investigated before. I was surprised by how many vessels went to the bottom, not just on the 6th June but for weeks and months afterwards.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:28 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
Did they find any of the Sherman DD tanks? 27 of 29 were lost off Omaha Beach. They swamped and sank in the six foot waves off the beach.

We are fortunate to have a Normandy survivor here in Wisconsin. The Tug Ludington in Kewaunee.

This is from the Kewaunee Chamber of Commerce website:

Made for WWII the Tug Ludington was built at Jacobson Shipyard in Oyster Bay, New York. In February of 1943 the Keel was laid and the tug was finally finished in October of that same year.

The U.S. Army accepted and christened the tug “Major Wilbur F. Browder” and designated the tug LT-4. The tug's armament consisted of two 50 caliber machine guns mounted above the chartroom and pilothouse.

The tug participated in the D-Day invasion of Normandy, towing ammunition barges across the English Channel. After Normandy it traveled to Cherbourg, France to assist in harbor operations until being sent to Plymouth, England until the end of the war. After the war it joined the U.S. Army Transportation Corps. and returned to Norfolk, Virginia where it was on various towing on the Eastern seaboard.

In 1947, The Corps of Engineers transferred the tug to Kewaunee, WI and then renamed it the “Tug Ludington”. While in Kewaunee it was used in the construction and maintenance of many harbors on the Great Lakes. The Tug has towed a wide variety of floating equipment. It is estimated that the Tug has hauled over 1 million tons of cargo.

The Tug now rest in Harbor Park in Downtown, Kewaunee and is open to visitors from Memorial Day Weekend until Labor Day. The Tug is registered in the National and State Register of Historic Places.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:59 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,155 Posts
Great piece of history there.

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:26 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,793 Posts
the DD's were some of the easier sonar targets they located, sitting upright on the bottom, they did some diving to them but that region is really murky water.. I had an uncle who was there, he dropped in as a member of the 82nd airborne...(and lived)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:35 PM
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
300 Posts
A quick look at my nickname will let you know where I grow up, when people ask me if I come from where the landing happen I always say sure the other one which give people a blank stare generally must people will know about the june D day, some will know about the one in provence not much will now about Dieppe … anyway one of the picture is the original pegasus bridge now resting in a field near the canal that was enlarged a decade or so ago the second one is always what amaze me the must I let you guys figure it out with so many history buff among you it should not take long ...
Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Jun 05, 2014, 10:07 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
Is that part of a Mulberry harbor?
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:19 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Just around the corner.

I recall, just about this day in 1994, I was catching a flight to London from Detroit. In the DTW departure area was a pair of tall lean men, almost twins in appearance, both proudly wearing their WWII uniforms. I didn't recognize the uniforms, but their red berets and white mustaches made me think they were British paratroopers, expats or maybe Canadians on their way back to the 50th anniversary commemorations at Normandy.

Not too many of these gents left today.
Here's one:

WFTV - Orlando
NORMANDY —

Friday marks the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

While the country remembers D-Day, one 93-year-old veteran decided to honor that memory a little differently.

Jim "Pee Wee" Martin parachuted into Normandy 70 years ago, and said he wanted to suit up one more time.

Martin was part of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division that parachuted down over Utah Beach in their bid to retake France, and, eventually, the rest of Europe from Nazi Germany. They actually touched down in enemy-controlled territory a night before what's referred to as D-Day.

"What made me do it today? A little ego because I am 93 and I can still do it, and also, I just wanted to show all the people that you don't sit and die just because you get old," said Martin.

Martin said he was humbled because he didn't do anything exceptional, he just did what he was trained to do.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:29 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,155 Posts
The greatest generation for sure.

Mark
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:32 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,818 Posts
Interesting Now and Then photos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5458969.html
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Jun 06, 2014, 10:41 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,155 Posts
Very cool pic's.

Mark
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:10 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
My neighbour as a child , long since passed , we as children curious of the great war , always had time to tell us of his great adventure , the good times.

As we got older and could comprehend the hell that was war, he told us of the other side , friends vaporised only their boot leather left.
His tears left a lasting impression on me

My friends grandfather had scars from shrapnel and bullets. Never spoke of the war , the look in his eye's , the pain and sorrow said it all.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:19 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee View Post
......My friends grandfather had scars from shrapnel and bullets. Never spoke of the war , the look in his eye's , the pain and sorrow said it all.
My father was a decorated Battle of the Bulge survivor (Bronze Star for Valor, Purple Heart). He too told us the truth when he knew we were old enough to understand it. But he explained that it was necessary to defend this way of life, or we might loose it. He was fond of saying "If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything."
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:49 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
Imagine what the reaction to this plane with D-Day invasion stripes might have brought back then.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 06, 2014, 02:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
I've always been fascinated with WWII history and I've got the utmost respect for all those brave men who served in the Normandy landings. However, the media have focused so much attention on it over the years that it tends to completely overshadow other operations and battles during the war which tend to get forgotten. Most people today have no awareness of what happened in Dieppe, Guadalcanal or Kursk for example.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK