mmmmmm, me want!!!!
How did it go against the RG-65?
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:48 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,141 Posts
The video of higher wind speed definitely points to a need for a very quick, high speed winch/servo for the main sheet in order to react to the wind gusts. Would be nice to seem some target specifications for this cat - especially the electronics and weight. A photo out of water with whatever they are using to lateral resistance would also be nice.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:11 AM
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Feb 2009
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
A photo out of water with whatever they are using to lateral resistance would also be nice.
look half way thru the first video. be ready on the pause it is a short shot.
huzway is offline Find More Posts by huzway
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:57 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
Buzz (the guy testing it) said the biggest concern right now is the rudder linkage. He also said in the video he was shooting with his cell phone while also steering, but no sheeting (not enough hands!).

It will be fun to see how this develops....
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:09 PM
Marblehead, MA
Joined Oct 2004
61 Posts
Mike Weston Photos
wgreeley is offline Find More Posts by wgreeley
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:37 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,141 Posts
So are the boards just carbon, a carbon/foam sandwich, balsa painted black, or some other form of composite - and is there any weight added to the bottom of each board to provide a bit of stability?
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:57 PM
United Kingdom, Stourbridge
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
boards are moulded plastic. no weights for additional stability
mark dicks is offline Find More Posts by mark dicks
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
Hi MArk,

are you part of the design team for this new cat? Any details you can share with us?

Cheers
Nigel
GER 87 is offline Find More Posts by GER 87
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:27 AM
United Kingdom, Stourbridge
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
Nigel

this cat was designed by joysway. as part of our ongoing work with joysway we have taken tjhis on to develop it. we initially had 2 models which one was modified to make it sail better. after initial trials we asked for the hulls to be modified to give them more volume. we are now awaiting modified boats to sail against the 2 prototypes and then we will develop sail plans for the cats.

this product should then be available in the summer time

any other info you require

Mark
mark dicks is offline Find More Posts by mark dicks
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
Thanks for the details Mark. Sounds as if they are not just trying to ride of the catamaran hype after the Americas Cup but develop a good little RC boat.

I think this could be a really cool opportunity to establish a one design multihull RC class.

Look forward to hearing about any progress once you have something to disclose.

Cheers
Nigel
GER 87 is offline Find More Posts by GER 87
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
I'm very interested in this cat as a potential first sailboat

However, I'm a complete novice and am just wondering about the do's and dont's of catamaran sailing?

I read that they don't gybe at all well. Is that true?

Please don't just tell me that a cat is unsuitable for a first sailboat, I've read all that already.
It has to be a multihull for me.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:01 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,141 Posts
If you've read all of that before - there is a very good reason why it is out there.

1) They do not have a lead keel, so once they go over, they will stay inverted until you/someone goes out and puts them back upright - or they drift in to the leeward shore until the mast hits bottom.
2) With a mast head float, they will likely still lay on their side until someone "rescues" them.
3) Without lead they have little to no inertia, thus making "tacking" a bit more difficult than a monohull with lead keel bulb.
4) When tacking, "both" hulls must cross the eye of the wind - not just one like a monohull.
5) Tacking is difficult - Gybing is not.
6) On a boat-for-boat basis, multihulls don't come near the next fewest sold boats. Thus finding help in learning to sail - unless you can hook up with a local multihull sailing group will be very difficult.
7) While a crash with a catamaran won't end in a lot of parts in a plastic bag, learning to sail, read wind direction, rig and trim the boat, and just knowing "how to sail" is more important. Get a decent used sailboat and "try" sailing. Learn what good boats are out there, and what aren't so good. Know what pricing is like (unless you have unlimited budget) Get with a local club and have the experience sailors explain sailing. Sail a monohull at least for a year - AND THEN get a multihull if you still have the urge. While multihulls sail differently than monohulls (in some instances) you will do a disservice to yourself - and the hobby if you are constantly tipping over and chasing a capsized boat.

Again - there is a reason why it is written so many times that multihulls are unsuitable for a beginner's first sailboat. If you are still determined to dispose of advice - then post here and I'll try to provide as much advice my experiences have given me.

Dick
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:28 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Feb 2011
667 Posts
Everything you just described sounds like how I sail a Mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
If you've read all of that before - there is a very good reason why it is out there.

1) They do not have a lead keel, so once they go over, they will stay inverted until you/someone goes out and puts them back upright - or they drift in to the leeward shore until the mast hits bottom.
2) With a mast head float, they will likely still lay on their side until someone "rescues" them.
3) Without lead they have little to no inertia, thus making "tacking" a bit more difficult than a monohull with lead keel bulb.
4) When tacking, "both" hulls must cross the eye of the wind - not just one like a monohull.
5) Tacking is difficult - Gybing is not.
6) On a boat-for-boat basis, multihulls don't come near the next fewest sold boats. Thus finding help in learning to sail - unless you can hook up with a local multihull sailing group will be very difficult.
7) While a crash with a catamaran won't end in a lot of parts in a plastic bag, learning to sail, read wind direction, rig and trim the boat, and just knowing "how to sail" is more important. Get a decent used sailboat and "try" sailing. Learn what good boats are out there, and what aren't so good. Know what pricing is like (unless you have unlimited budget) Get with a local club and have the experience sailors explain sailing. Sail a monohull at least for a year - AND THEN get a multihull if you still have the urge. While multihulls sail differently than monohulls (in some instances) you will do a disservice to yourself - and the hobby if you are constantly tipping over and chasing a capsized boat.

Again - there is a reason why it is written so many times that multihulls are unsuitable for a beginner's first sailboat. If you are still determined to dispose of advice - then post here and I'll try to provide as much advice my experiences have given me.

Dick
Windward RC is offline Find More Posts by Windward RC
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:49 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,141 Posts
Sorry Chuck - you only have one hull to worry about when tacking, You definitely don't need a fast winch when sailing in gusty conditions, and of course, you have added that chunk of lead to slow you down ! Not sure I know of any sport of "racing" (other than -ugh- monohull sailing) where folks deliberately want to slow themselves down by making the "vehicle" slower by adding weight.

Cheers, Dick

Oh - most important - a multihull doesn't sink to the bottom as fast as a monohull........ so in a way, I guess you are fast ! Ha Ha
Last edited by Dick L.; Mar 11, 2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added thought
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2013
134 Posts
Dick L = Wrong!

BenVK,
You do not need to start with a Mono to learn to sail like Dick L suggest
Go for it, Cats are much more challenging and exciting than a Mono.
Get this little cat, and learn how to sail a multi first! Monohulls will give you bad habbits and teach you to rely on Lead! Cats- They take a little different technique and typically do not react to conditions like a Mono; so take your time and learn to watch the cats reaction to your inputs.

Lead = Slow! Monos are dead!

When you start sailing a cat you will need to adjust the rig to allow the main to twist off and depower to top 1/3 of the main. This will make it more controlable and less prone to fly the leward hull suddenly.

After you master this little cat jump up to a AC-86! and find out just how exciting RC sailing can be!

John Xman
John Xman is offline Find More Posts by John Xman