Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:23 AM
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup View Post
I'm gonna cheat and just dialed in some rudder with ailerons..
Seems like mixing rudder with ailerons will mess with 3D maneuvers. Maybe have it switched so it can be turned off for "3D Mode" and on for just flying around doing STOL type maneuvers?
moteasa is online now Find More Posts by moteasa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2013
45 Posts
do you guys think this could be a good move into 3D planes for a person relatively experienced in "normal" flying?
rossmort is online now Find More Posts by rossmort
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:47 AM
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2003
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moteasa View Post
Seems like mixing rudder with ailerons will mess with 3D maneuvers. Maybe have it switched so it can be turned off for "3D Mode" and on for just flying around doing STOL type maneuvers?
I will keep an eye on that, thanks for letting me know. I don't have much dialed in so if it messes with it too much I can take it out.
Goinstraightup is offline Find More Posts by Goinstraightup
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmort View Post
do you guys think this could be a good move into 3D planes for a person relatively experienced in "normal" flying?
I bought the CTB thinking exactly that.
Lots of "normal" flying and wanted to experience a fun 3D plane.
She's probably not the best introductory plane for 3D (I hear the Laser or Crack Yak are much better) but the CTB is a ton of fun to fly and will do things no other plane can do... especially on 3S.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:05 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
8' is enough to do the earth chicken dive............

Jeff

Yes it is! Lol
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:07 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moteasa View Post

Yeah, rolling maneuvers would be quite difficult with rudder mixed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:19 PM
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmort View Post
I'd stick to the MXS-C or normal Crack Yak. They will be more durable and easy to fix as well as easier to fly.

My opinion of the Beaver:
The Beaver is quirky to me. It's not as tough as I thought it would be either. The landing gear axles break easy and the servos are difficult to replace with their linkages hard to access under the wing which is glued on. Mine has been sitting with a broken axle and broken elevator linkage at the servo now for a couple months just because the hassle to fix and I have other things I enjoy flying more. I'll plan on doing the metal landing gear mod someone posted earlier, but first I need to build this MXS-C I have waiting for me.
moteasa is online now Find More Posts by moteasa
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:45 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,740 Posts
I've got over 100 flights with my CTB with no issues with the axles.
The CF flats, however, have a tendency to become loose.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:14 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
950 Posts
Yeah, do the metal axle mod and you will be more than happy with her. Those wheels let her do stuff that's just not in any other foamy's vocabulary
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3dhs fly low in east
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup View Post
You're not kidding about the rudder turns.. I'm gonna cheat and just dialed in some rudder with ailerons..
Once I realized that you need the rudder to turn the Beaver, it was fine. I just wasn't expecting it on the maiden! The only plane I ever used a rudder/aileron mix was the micro version of the 4-Site. Other than that, I haven't found it necessary or desirable.

I wound up using Du-Bro Mini EZ connectors for the control horns with the supplied 'quick links' on the servo arms. I also decided not to cut a hole for the battery in case I decide to try other types so I just applied Velcro to the bottom. Rather than gluing the windshield, I also used thin Velcro - the kind used on single cell batteries for micro planes - to attach it. Doing so gives me complete access to the receiver - which is also attached with Velcro - and partial access to the servos.

Don
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
Sorry, double post.
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
350 Posts
I've only flown my Beaver with floats, but I'm not very impressed with the handling. The CG seems to be fine, based on upright/inverted flight. But when flying KE (lots of aileron needed!), it doesn't need any rudder input.

There's not enough vertical surface on the tail and rudder. Rudder authority is anemic. With even a slight breeze, it's impossible to turn the plane around on the water.

I'm hoping the plane is a little more fun with just the wheels hanging off.

BTW, I'm flying with a 3S 480mAh battery. The battery and all electronics are installed on the top of the fuse, to try to raise the CG toward the wings.
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
If you don't need rudder for KE flight, it's tail heavy