HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:48 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Poll
Do You Want A Balsa Built Plane?

I often felt the reason people buy and fly ARFs are because they are intimidated by the build or they do not have time to build a balsa kit like the ones offered by Mountain Models or Stevens Aero.

If you had someone to build those planes for you for free, would you consider one of them? Or are those something you are just not interested in? Looking to see if there is any interest out there for this.

The reason I ask is that while flying my MM Switchback today, I thought about so many folks that are missing out on such a great flying plane just for those reasons.

If there were folks that would help you build a balsa plane, or someone that would straight up build one for you, would you be interested in one then?

Frank

PS The poll didn't work so please just reply with your answer.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Feb 05, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No go on the poll
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,653 Posts
For me, I have both foam and balsa airplanes. I have no problem with either. I don't find the balsa ARF process any more difficult than a foam airplane assembly, other than the time required to assemble it. If someone would build one from a balsa kit for me, I'd have no issue flying it at all. I'd even be glad to pay for their services. I just don't like putting them together, that's all. Lazy? Possibly. But what's weird about me is that I absolutely love the assembly process of helicopters and quadcopters. But I don't like assembling airplanes. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:08 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Just like we have folks willing to teach others to fly; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541484 I figure we could so the same with helping folks build balsa model airplanes (since there seems to be so must hesitation with building them).

It's just another way we can help promote model aviation. -Yea, I know, but I can't help it. Always trying to come up with ways to do that.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
to me its more of a space ,. tools and equiptment, i dont have the space to have rolls of monokote ,shelves for balsa ,a work bench exc,exc. i dont want to bother with buying the tools or equiptment either.since i dont have the space . its just so much easier to just buy an arf .as for getting someone to do it for me i dont like to put time restraints on another person, espicially if there doing it for me, for free . and "knowing me," i buy something i want it done asap not at there leasure , and besides "to me" it takes away the fun of saying i built it . one more thing i would hate to spend hours and hours on a built just to have it crash "lets say on a maiden "at least with a arf , i can just saay , ahhh well time to buy another one
on a side note i build alot of scratch built plane out of foam .so i woud enjoy building a balsa plane .. as for the foam planes.all i need is a box cutter . a ruler, glue and colored tape and there not even in the same ball park as a balsa , so to me no one can say its the same thing buiding a foamy or balsa .i honestly think that balsa kits are a thing of the past . with foam planes dominating the market, and arf balsa kits right behind . balsa builders are artist since balsa building is an art in itself.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,833 Posts
I think that if cheap and good flying foamie electric powered ARF warbirds and civilian designs had come out in the 60's, the revolution would have occurred back then. Sandman's reply may express how a lot of non-builders think about the subject, like it or not. I think that choice of motor/esc/battery pack, locating and mounting parts and getting the CG right, setting up linkages, doing a decent job of covering, trimming, final assembly and setup for a "successful" maiden flight, in addition to the cost and hassle of obtaining building and covering materials, discourages people from starting to build again or trying it for the first time. Those of us who grew up on stick and tissue modelling will keep building for the enjoyment of it and keep trying to convince others to try it.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:20 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,877 Posts
I think it's great that we do have all these ARFs, because it does allow all those people with only enough space to store planes rather than build and store them. However, the downside is that the number of kits on the market has drastically dropped over the last few years, giving us less options of what to build (plans of course allow the creation of a multitude of non-kitted planes). It's a blessing and a curse. IMO you have more options when you're an ARF builder/buyer these days.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
133 Posts
It's more about ease of repair for me. I've had a couple of awesome balsa planes but my thumbs just don't communcate, so I've ended up with a winter's kindling a couple times. Until my hands learn to work together its foamfor me
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:03 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
If there were folks that would help you build a balsa plane, or someone that would straight up build one for you, would you be interested in one then?

Frank

PS The poll didn't work so please just reply with your answer.
No, Frank, I'd want to build it!!!

But I do think there would be a market for RTF versions of kits. Made to order would be a bonus I'd think. Some of the oldie moldies could make a comeback like the Top Flight Contender!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:28 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,058 Posts
I own two ARF planes. A Mini Ultrastik and my ASM P-61 (converted to electric with full sequenced gear doors and a bunch of other changes). Everything else I have is scratch or plans built and all are wood. I grew up on wood kits and after several decades of aquiring both the building skills and all the tools etc I just don't really feel like jumping into foam and starting from square one so to speak. I do think more modelers should try building from wood though. It's pretty rewarding for shure.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
541 Posts
I have no desire to ever build a kit. ARF's are enough of a hastle. I just want to fly.
scottieusa is online now Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I don't quite get what you're driving at, Frank. Folks who haven't built a kit from MM or SA quite literally don't know what they're missing -- so what would be the motivation to have one built for them?

For folks who buy planes on looks, it's difficult, if not impossible to visualize a finished kit, since there are an infinite number of ways to cover and decorate it. On the other hand, for folks who lack the motivation or skill, it's all too easy to visualize failure.

Conversely, folks who do build such kits can cite any number of good reasons for doing so.

I suppose your question might be relevant to a small set of flyers who have seen one of these kits, like what they've seen, and feel (for whatever reason) that they can't build one for themselves. How many folks are we talking about here? Not all that many, I imagine.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:51 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieusa View Post
I have no desire to ever build a kit. ARF's are enough of a hastle. I just want to fly.
me too

Plus if I build a kit I would probably screw it up
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
Look back at the mechanic's illustrated magazines. for the 50-60'.
Guy's where building everything in the garage , boats ,campers tools airplanes.
All most anything was popping out of guy's workshops.
Those days are gone now everyone buys there stuff ready made. exept for that odd duck down the street who still built his own camper out of plywood kinda cheesy.
I think model planes are fast headed tis way. Foamies are proly just a stop on the way.I can see some truly remarkable planes built with 3D printers in the future
that will look incredible making todays foamies and balsa planes look cheesy.
I can see foamies staying around because thee cheap and tough but I think balsa will disappear.
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:16 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
There are also a number ( a small number thankfully) of fliers who used to build and enjoyed it. But due to issues like health or accident no longer are able to.

They would appreciate the work involved in producing a well built model.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Feb 2006
13 Posts
I started flying planes in the 60`s when , if you did not build you did not fly.I think ARF`s are alright because there are legitimate reasons why a person cant build a kit or from scratch,but it is sad that it is becoming a lost art.

It is hard to describe the feeling you get when you tell people that you built a plane from scratch,totally awsome !!!! I urge anyone who flys model planes to give it a try, kit or scratch. The memories you can give your kids or grandkids of the two of you building something like that will be some real fond memories they will carry forever and maybe even pass on to their kids.

I am building a Doriner 335 Arrow right now,it is a WWII German heavy fighter developed at the end of the war. There are no ARF`s or kits of these available so it is a scratch project.I am really looking forward to bringing it to the field next spring,or maybe even this fall.FYI,it is easier to repair balsa planes if you have some experience building,otherwise you just have to toss them into the trash.
Balsa Wizzard is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Wizzard