HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
Careful!
Banana hobby warning!!!!!!

This post is about the products from Bananahobby.com.
I'am NOT looking for replys , just want to get the warning out there.

The aircrafts that they sell that are "RTF,ARF" do not work the way that they are suppose to.There are A.L.O.T!! of ppl out there that know this but I'm putting out the warning.
Here is what happened to me.
I bought a f-14 tomcat from them that was a "RTF" but switched the receiver so i can use my DX6i.I took off as normal, but the minute that i was in the air i was fighting with power.My TX and batt were fully charged.It was about 100 feet in the air(about tree top hight) and you can see it trying to go higher and just could not do it, and i had my DX6i at 100% throttle, And it could not climb more that i wanted.I lost the plane that night.The next day I went looking for it and found it.Brought it home and looked at the electronics to see what it had.I noticed that it had 2 2100kv outrunner ducted motors with 2 20AMP ESC's.We all know that for that kind of kv motors, you need at least double that ESC power.

If you all can be so kind and tell your friends and other ppl to NOT buy anything from Banana hobby/ blitzrcworks, it will be like throwing your money away
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
Quote:
I noticed that it had 2 2100kv outrunner ducted motors with 2 20AMP ESC's.We all know that for that kind of kv motors, you need at least double that ESC power.
Errr.... How do you figure?

As for the plane, is this your first EDF? It sounds like there could be an awful lot causing problems here with no relation to the plane's quality or manufacturer.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
So let me get this straight. You bought an RTF ARF and didn't first inspect it before flying it? If you did inspect it, then you would have noticed the two esc's prior to take off.

Is the blame with the vendor for selling you a product that you should have known what you were getting, or for no pre-flight to ensure it was airworthy? Says right on the page 2x 20amp escs. You also mentioned you took off normal, roll out from ground? I would think that would consume a good bit of power to get it into the air vs hand launching.

Also were you trying to climb out with the wings extended, or in delta?

Not trying to defend BH here, I've never made purchase 1 from them before.

Caveat emptor.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Jul 10, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,150 Posts
UMM.. with all the thousands of planes sold by BH, shouldnt there be a line of people with the same gripe? No. This is a disgruntled person with an isolated problem.
Furthurmore, 2200 kv doesnt mean high amp draw. I have a 2200 kv motor that draws 10 amps max because it is small.

Amp draw is relative to the SIZE and LOAD of a given motor.

The supplied motors in the DF are small and probably dont draw more than 20a.

Did you progam the escs? set throttle range on the esc itself? make sure they have airflow?
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post
This post is about the products from Bananahobby.com.
I'am NOT looking for replys , just want to get the warning out there.

The aircrafts that they sell that are "RTF,ARF" do not work the way that they are suppose to.There are A.L.O.T!! of ppl out there that know this but I'm putting out the warning.
Here is what happened to me.
I bought a f-14 tomcat from them that was a "RTF" but switched the receiver so i can use my DX6i.I took off as normal, but the minute that i was in the air i was fighting with power.My TX and batt were fully charged.It was about 100 feet in the air(about tree top hight) and you can see it trying to go higher and just could not do it, and i had my DX6i at 100% throttle, And it could not climb more that i wanted.I lost the plane that night.The next day I went looking for it and found it.Brought it home and looked at the electronics to see what it had.I noticed that it had 2 2100kv outrunner ducted motors with 2 20AMP ESC's.We all know that for that kind of kv motors, you need at least double that ESC power.

If you all can be so kind and tell your friends and other ppl to NOT buy anything from Banana hobby/ blitzrcworks, it will be like throwing your money away

You must not have read what the plane comes with. Why did you buy it if you knew?
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,332 Posts
Hey now,
As many folks know by now I'm no fan of BH and the other cheapo hobby companies. While I'll agree that the model in question is pretty funky and that it's not really an RTF. I've yet to see one fly decently stock out of the box and yes, I've had the misfortune to have to tech and maiden several of them.
But in this case there are several directions the fling blame and fault.
No the model does not fly well at all. It can be said it doesn't quite fly at all without a fair bit of adjusting and fiddeling. But then I tend to check things over very carefuly with any RTF or ARF.
Now our dude here didn't bother to read the add copy through or he would have known what kind of motors and ESCs the model came with and if he was an e perienced modeler he would have known to go over every little bit on the plane *before* he even spooled up the drive system. He did not.
Yes, the plane is pretty funky. However he failed big time in both research and set up.
While I'd never recomend a BH model to anybody for any reason in this case the failure is completely on him. Too bad, so sad. You lose, bye bye.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
hmmmm

I have never bought from them, but two days ago my buddy got a RTF Diamond 2500 delivered from them, the fuselage was warped, he called them and today they told him they are sending a fuselage with motor and all electronics installed, he said so i need to send the warped one back ? They told him to just keep it !! That sir is pretty sweet !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,056 Posts
Personally id stick with better quality brands in the future eg
Multiplex, parkzone, eflight, Rc Lander etc

plus you can get parts for these brands

If you want to go cheaper just go through Hobbyking and read the reviews before you make an order
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I think now is the best time to buy from them because they are trying to build a good reputation and they are more likely to send replacement parts for free
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post
I noticed that it had 2 2100kv outrunner ducted motors with 2 20AMP ESC's.We all know that for that kind of kv motors, you need at least double that ESC power.
I did not know that. I feel left out.

I am a non-customer of BH. Toy grade RTF foam.

-Craig
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I'll admit I've got my eye on a few of their planes, like the BF 109F they have. Show me a site offering a 109 with similar features for their price and I'll buy it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with Banana Hobby. One model with problems on arrival (one missing part and one defective part) was made right within two weeks. I have around 10 of their models and that was the only one that arrived defective.

I had one other recent issue with a jet and they are in the process of replacing a part that failed after one flight.

Their customer service is definitely getting better.

As far as being "toy grade foam", I disagree. Some of their models are very nice. The Starmax 79" B-17 is a magnificent flyer, as is the Starmax 1.6 meter A-1 Skyraider. I have many flights on both with very minimal mods and zero trouble.

The Freewing Su-35 is another great model.

Their models are great for the price and I am willing to deal with an occasional issue myself due to the very low initial price of the models.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,328 Posts
kudos for Banana Hobby

My very good experience with Banana Hobby:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22284622
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,023 Posts
So much of the original complaint is just nonsensical that based on it, if you were a jury, you would have to acquit Banana Hobby. Here's my vote for aquittal.

They might be totally guilty but our attorney for the prosecution has not even established a case, much less proven it.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins