HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2008
141 Posts
there should be a diode or somekind of protection from each servo to feed it trouble back to the esc or receiver don't you think. but that would make that servo pricy, anyway this way i have more confident to continue my journey with the new servo and i just don't know when the other servos will go bad this is why i love RCG with no doub, any question would be answer, thanks each and everyone...
davhigher is offline Find More Posts by davhigher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:22 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
could slap a resistor inline
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That was the point I tried to make in my previous post.. If a shorted servo takes out the BEC then your in big trouble whatever RC brand your using.
There might be more problems with Spektrum but that's almost certainly for the simple reason that there are more flying with Spektrum
Exactly and I'm not even sold on Spektrum having more problems than other 2.4Ghz receivers. The bottom line is that if Spektrum receivers were that prone to causing crashes, then why does Spektrum have such a large market share? Spektrum, as with their competitors, state that their receivers must be supplied with a certain voltage. If that voltage isn't supplied, then there may be problems. It's that simple. Honestly, "brownouts" are overstated and are things of urban legend. Too many pilots blame their crashes on brownouts to the point that it's comical. I've flown and witnessed thousands of Spektrum flights on airplanes and helis and never once have experience or seen a brownout. Yet, when someone makes a post about a crash or incident, you so-called experts always come chiming in with a brownout as being the culprit. Sorry, but you guys (not you JetPlaneFlyer) are FOS and don't contribute much but BS to this hobby.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Last edited by racin06; Feb 04, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Some of the Spektrum receivers (not all)are very sensitive to input voltage drops/fluctuations and brown-out easily. They don't have to loose input power.
Please share with us the percentage of Spektrum receivers that "brown-out easily." Surely, there must be data available to support your statement .
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Please share with us the percentage of Spektrum receivers that "brown-out easily." Surely, there must be data available to support your statement .
Sure. Come to my field and talk with pilots who have had brown-out problems in the past and find out what system they were using.
You can also google spektrum rx brown out and that should provide enough reading too!
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps it is you who should supply data to support your statements on this instead of being so argumentative about what others are saying... I'd suggest that you don't ask others to prove their points unless you are also in a position to prove your own.

I do know that I've read many anecdotal examples of the earlier versions of Spectrum receivers being prone to brownouts... I also know that at our field we've seen what appeared to be "lock outs" more often with Spectrum receivers than other brands ... since the models were destroyed in crashes, it is hard to say if these were caused by brown outs or other causes.

AFAIK... Spectrum addressed the issues by making their receivers "reboot" quicker in these cases so when it did happened, control returned much quicker than they had in earlier models. Test results as been reported by many testers had also shown they ( Spectrum ) were more sensitive to low voltages than many of the other receivers were.
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
my post was off topic.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Sure. Come to my field and talk with pilots who have had brown-out problems in the past and find out what system they were using.
You can also google spektrum rx brown out and that should provide enough reading too!
Yes, it just so happens that urban legends are searchable through Google.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsok View Post
Perhaps it is you who should supply data to support your statements on this instead of being so argumentative about what others are saying
I supplied my data by saying that I've never seen a brownout after witnessing thousands of Spektrum-based flights .
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,895 Posts
Wow! That didn't take very long to read through all those pages of articles !
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
I supplied my data by saying that I've never seen a brownout after witnessing thousands of Spektrum-based flights .
So that makes it your hearsay evidence against all of the anecdotal evidence reported throughout this and many other forums... I'm only pointing this out, not so much to argue the point, but to show that if you want others to accept your own statements... then it is only fair that you also accept theirs which is certainly equally valid.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
I could care less if my statements are accepted. I know what I and my fellow flying pilots have experienced...which we all agree that these alleged brownouts are all about dumb thumbs and flying skills and not electrons.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:01 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
I was setting up my EF 60" Edge a little more than a month ago. While sitting on the work stand the rudder servo bound and burnt up. In turn it burned the BEC right through before it had a chance to shut down from overload. This in turn burned the RX. I had to replace the Servo, Receiver, and the ESP. LUCKILY it all happened on the bench!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,895 Posts
Are you sure all of that didn't happen because of "dumb thumbs" or " flying skills " ?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
I could care less if my statements are accepted. I know what I and my fellow flying pilots have experienced...which we all agree that these alleged brownouts are all about dumb thumbs and flying skills and not electrons.
The one's I've witnessed certainly were not pilot related... On two of the most recent that I remember... the pilot had no control at all... no matter what they did with their transmitter, the plane maintained course right into the ground. In fact, both pilots are excellent... much better than myself.

So call it however you want... but doing so is ignoring what has been reported all too often.