HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BRENDAN LUGO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, WA, Camas
Joined May 2009
50 Posts
I've also noticed that the servo monitor doesn't always reflect reality. When I was tring to figure out the throttle lock funciton I used the servo monitor, but the servo bar graph moved up and down even though the throttle lock was on. When I tried it on the plane, the throttle lock held the throttle position.
Skeletool is offline Find More Posts by Skeletool
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowWatts View Post
Ailerons coupled to Flaps for steering during flight, but not active during a Flap controlled landing causing adverse yaw due to this coupling. I have 5 year old radios that will turn off the mix when the flap is deployed at predetermined percentage.

It does not need or require a flight condition as the Aileron to Flap mix in the Sailplane menu can be turned off with a selected switch as designed.
I am a firm believer in the KISS method, so the fewer switches I have to use and remember the better chance I have of not screwing up.
+1 all the way.

My old el cheapo MPX Cockpit automatically cancelled the diff. on ailerons when deploying crow too...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old May 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
< 1100W in Seattle
Joined Mar 2006
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletool View Post
I've also noticed that the servo monitor doesn't always reflect reality. When I was tring to figure out the throttle lock funciton I used the servo monitor, but the servo bar graph moved up and down even though the throttle lock was on. When I tried it on the plane, the throttle lock held the throttle position.
Transmitter MUST BE TRANSMITTING for it to work. It doesn't matter if you use a switch or the screen icon to lock it. Throttle indicates no movement when throttle lock activated "during" transmitting. If using a switch or the screen, the throttle lock screen icon/indicator will not become active if you are not transmitting. I don't believe this feature/function is referenced in the manual, but has been mentioned previously.
LowWatts is offline Find More Posts by LowWatts
Old May 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, WA, Camas
Joined May 2009
50 Posts
Thanks, good to know.
Skeletool is offline Find More Posts by Skeletool
Old May 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
I'd like something that would let you "center" the sticks. Basically, it would be on a switch, and you could hit it when you're holding the sticks to keep the plane level, and it would automatically input the trim you were applying with your sticks. It'd be so much easier to just tap a switch rather than clicking all the trim tabs. Or maybe even on the touch screen, just to keep from hitting it accidentally.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
39 Posts
Sometimes I feel I'd like a completely freeform programming option, like just considering the sticks and swithches inputs and then defining outputs to the servos without any predefined limitations. Sometimes I wonder why some options are only for gliders, some for aerobatic planes etc, and then thinking about how you could make as generic and flexible aircraft mode as possible I usually end up with something that resembles a programming language. While it is often nice to have menus for ailerons and flaps and things that have a meaning in reference to most planes, if you want something special, you'll just find these limitations you have to circumvent. Like if you want a variable pitch propeller, you may want to use helicopter mode, but then you lose some options that are only available with the airplane modes.

What about a mode where you link the inputs to as many outputs as you want using whatever curves you may want? Probably very inconvenient to do on the transmitter's screen but quite easy on a relatively simple computer program. What if you want to control an excavator or other stuff that doesn't even resemble an airplane?

BTW, is there a feature wish list thread for hardware? I would really like a transmitter battery and charger like the ones in the laptops - a li-ion battery, automatic charge control (well, at least this part includes some software..), plug-in charger. I really don't like taking tx batteries out for charging (currently use the original NiMH and charger), and nobody seems that scared about charging laptops with batteries attached.

Mika
FlyerMika is offline Find More Posts by FlyerMika
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,611 Posts
Being a blind old guy , the bigger timer screen is really a help in seeing it without glasses , as there are 2 timer screens , how about making one the timer and the other the battery pack voltage ....Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
395 Posts
I'd like to get some feedback on how the sub-trim feature is implemented on the A9 since the current method limits the utility of the servo travel limit feature. In my case I have a Stryker 27C and I've set it up so I can have 100% elevon movement for elevator and the same for aileron (at high rates). Since these channels are mixed onto the two elevon servos, I would have 100+100% on one of the servos whenever the right stick is pushed into any of the four corners. I use the travel limit to set a hard stop on the servo movement at 100%. So, if I pull elevator back all the way, both servos are raised to 100%. If I then also apply full right or left aileron, one servo stays at 100% (locked down by the travel limit) and the other back to 0%. All is good.

I use sub-trims to accurately position the center of movement of the servo. It "zeroes out" the offset caused by the toothed servo shaft and arm not being at 90 degrees to the control rod. In the case of my Stryker, I also had to zero out the poor factory servo installation. The servo arm was probably two or three teeth from 90 degrees, and I didn't want to remove the tape and try to remove the servo just to correct that. The servo can actually move far more than "100%" in either direction, so a 6 or 7 degree offset with the sub-trim shouldn't be an issue.

The problem comes from how the sub-trims are handled. They don't "zero out" the servo position. They simply offset it, just as the gimbal trims do on the monitor screen. I expect to see the offset of the gimbal trim buttons since they don't "re-center" the servo, but the sub-trim is supposed to create a new center for the servo motion and allow +/- 100% (or whatever rate) from that position.

The travel limits do not apply to the new center position, but rather to the original position with no sub-trim. If the sub-trim for my poorly installed servo is equal to -10%, as an example, and I add a travel limit of +/-100% to both elevon servos, I now get up to 90% throw in one direction and 110% throw in the other. This caused the servo arm to mash into the foam on the Stryker's wing. I could correct this by adding the sub-trim value to both ends of the travel limit, but that's not a very elegant solution.

My wish list item, then, is that the travel limits be applied with respect to the re-centered position set by the sub trims. My question for you is: How do you interpret the position set by the sub-trims? Do you see it as a new center for full servo motion, and if so, shouldn't it be treated as such functionally (as with the sub-trims) and visually (as displayed on the monitor screen)? Just curious.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,232 Posts
The A9 Is well overdue for an update..

Whats the story? Are Hitecs programmers all on strike?

We still have goofy timers that cant tell the time...
Goofy crow programming
No throttle curve assignable to a flight condition
Goofy timer activation on sprung off switch
etc
etc
etc

I dunno about others, but my Aurora 9 feels a bit half cooked in the programming department.. Theyre not hard to fix, but make a big difference to the usability of the radio...

If Hitec cant deal with releasing the much needed updates for the A9, it should go open source, so the droves of talented people out there can make the A9 what it should be.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Standing ovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post

Goofy crow programming
etc
etc
etc

I dunno about others, but my Aurora 9 feels a bit half cooked in the programming department.. Theyre not hard to fix, but make a big difference to the usability of the radio...

If Hitec cant deal with releasing the much needed updates for the A9, it should go open source, so the droves of talented people out there can make the A9 what it should be.
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Australia, VIC, Macleod
Joined Sep 2003
203 Posts
+1 on the timer issues. Goofy!

Quote:

Goofy crow programming
etc
etc
etc

Dean.roberts is offline Find More Posts by Dean.roberts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:

Goofy crow programming
etc
etc
etc

+1. Look after the old system first, before working on the new system, or we'll have no faith in the new system being supported either.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:34 PM
bladereaper
Joined Jul 2007
421 Posts
the a9 should have battery reminder and have the options to set time for the reminder beeps and to have the options to turn it off or on
razerunner is offline Find More Posts by razerunner
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razerunner View Post
the a9 should have battery reminder and have the options to set time for the reminder beeps and to have the options to turn it off or on
Question is not clear, how does it not relate to information under:
. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)
. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption. CAUTION - Leave Auto Hibernation (was Auto Power Off prior to V1.06) as "Never" when using Lipo Battery. During "Auto Hibernation" (as with laptops) TX Does Not Switch everything Off and batteries will be completely drained if TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time. Remove battery and store separately if TX is to be unused for a period.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:39 PM
bladereaper
Joined Jul 2007
421 Posts
i want to it to remind me that the radio is on if i by misstake leave it on and where i can set the timer on how long i leave it alone also i can turn it on or off
razerunner is offline Find More Posts by razerunner