HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:54 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Multicharger

I know this has been discussed many times but the threads I've come across are either outdated or they are discussing chargers for much larger applications than I need.

I fly only foamy park flyers, my largest batteries are 4 cell, at the moment I have a accucell 6 which works great but takes a long time as I have to charge one at a time.

What is a good affordable multicharger that will balance charge multiple lipos at the same time. Some multi chargers I've come across will charge multiple batteries but will not balance them simotaneously. Any suggestions? I doubt I will ever fly anything with a larger than 6 cell lipo and I'd like to charge 4 at a time.

Anyway, again I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, thanks guys!!
DrEvil3264 is online now Find More Posts by DrEvil3264
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:02 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,660 Posts
I bought the iMAX Quattro B6 charger a few months ago and consider it one of my best purchases in a long time.

I got mine at a LHS. Shop for best pricing.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,662 Posts
vista charger makes a nice 4 battery charger. i use that and 2 single chargers i purchased before i realized 2 at a time was not enough. now i can charge 6 at a time. much better. i take up to 20 batteries to the field charged. all go home at storage voltage.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:11 AM
Joined Jan 2007
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil3264 View Post
I know this has been discussed many times but the threads I've come across are either outdated or they are discussing chargers for much larger applications than I need.

I fly only foamy park flyers, my largest batteries are 4 cell, at the moment I have a accucell 6 which works great but takes a long time as I have to charge one at a time.

What is a good affordable multicharger that will balance charge multiple lipos at the same time. Some multi chargers I've come across will charge multiple batteries but will not balance them simotaneously. Any suggestions? I doubt I will ever fly anything with a larger than 6 cell lipo and I'd like to charge 4 at a time.

How much $$$$ are your considering? The Cellpro Powerlab PL6 and PL8 are good units for 6 cell LiPos. If you want to charge a number at one time, Cellpro has an accessory that allows charging multiple packs, with electronic fusing between all of the balance wires and standard fuses on the power wires.

FYI, I've got two PL8's, a number of club members have the Cellpro chargers. Their entry level charger is their Multi4, which charges one to four battery packs, through the balance connector only.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-PowerLab-6_27

Same as above with parallel adaptor
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...A-XH_Combo_101
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:15 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil3264 View Post

First, stating you have 4S batteries is not sufficient to describe your battery. You must include the mAh as well as the cell count.

Define "multi charger". Generally the term refers to a charger that can charge multiple chemistries. I think you are referring to a multiple output charger. However it is not necessary to have a multiple output charger to be able to charge more than one battery at a time. All you need is a charger with sufficient power and a parallel charge adapter.

The important thing is to determine how much power is required in a charger to charge the batteries you have. Power is stated in watts. So calculate the number of watts you need.

Watts = Volts times Amps.
So a 4S 3000mAh battery would require a 50W charger.
4.2V x 4 = 16.8V x 3A = 50.4W

If you want to do 4 at a time you would need a 200W charger.

An excellent selection of chargers can be found at Progressive RC.
http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:04 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,196 Posts
If charging multiple batteries of the same cell count/voltage,i would much prefer parallel charging via a board and a good quality charger.Quad/multichargers are basically (4) 50 watt chargers stuffed into a larger box,which are 4 bits of junk compared to I Chargers /Powerlabs.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
If charging multiple batteries of the same cell count/voltage,i would much prefer parallel charging via a board and a good quality charger.Quad/multichargers are basically (4) 50 watt chargers stuffed into a larger box,which are 4 bits of junk compared to I Chargers /Powerlabs.
Interesting.

Beginning to like my two Powerlab PL8's more and more!
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:40 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,923 Posts
But the advantage of a multi-charger like the Quattro is that you can charge 4 batteries at at time EVEN IF they don't all have the same cell count. Since I may use 1S, 2S, 3S and the occasional 4S pack in the same flying session I regard that as a useful advantage.

Though a few more watts per channel would always be useful .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick