New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,681 Posts
Can you point to some links as to what makes the best tell tails, how to attach them to the sail without damaging the sail, and what to look for while sailing? I jave magnetic tape in various widths, light weight "mylar" silver gift wrapping tape in about 1/4" width, and my mom has a whole room full of yarns from 80 years of knitting!

I assume the best tell-tail indication is that they should stream straight back from their attachment point, showing the best airflow over the sail.

BP

just saw this on the IOM thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8890
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by sightline
BarryD
Joined Jun 2015
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Can you point to some links as to what makes the best tell tails, how to attach them to the sail without damaging the sail, and what to look for while sailing? I jave magnetic tape in various widths, light weight "mylar" silver gift wrapping tape in about 1/4" width, and my mom has a whole room full of yarns from 80 years of knitting!

I assume the best tell-tail indication is that they should stream straight back from their attachment point, showing the best airflow over the sail.

BP

just saw this on the IOM thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8890
Bob
Typically tell tales are used on full sized yachts to determine whether the air is flowing evenly over the sails and most useful on the jib (attached near the luff), if your windward tell tale starts to fall off you are sailing too high and vice versa
On the main you are correct, attached with maybe some spinnaker repair tape at the top two battens it would give you flow indication but if you could see them on small RC boats you have better eyesight than me!
Also, usually on full sized racing yachts the skipper will steer upwind paying attention to the jib tell tales, the main trimmer is doing his job watching and trimming the sail as the skipper changes course. So trying to do all this while NOT on the boat - ie RC sailing, would be distracting in my opinion, especially for someone new to the sport.
Maybe on bigger IOM's it would be useful. I have a used CR 914 that the previous owner put tell tales on and I cant see them.
I'm new to RC sailboats maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure after you get to know your boat and how to trim it for various conditions, you sail on feel and concentrate on tactics.

Barry
sightline is offline Find More Posts by sightline
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Windward RC
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Feb 2011
1,198 Posts
Corrosion X Online !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper67 View Post
Believe you can find cx in the electrical aisle at Home Depot or Lowe's.
My friend is the CX dealer in the Pac NW and said he will ship anywhere in the US!

You can order the 4 oz squeeze bottle online ( Guns is same formula)

http://corrosionxnw.com/shop-3/corrosionx-for-guns/

Windward RC is online now Find More Posts by Windward RC
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper67 View Post
Believe you can find cx in the electrical aisle at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Looked and asked at Home Depot - no clue what it was!
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Today, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,771 Posts
http://www.corrosionx.net/corrosionx-dealers.html
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,716 Posts
Corrosion X

Thanks Windward. Ordered some. My old can is getting low and spray is messy.

Stringfly <>+++++
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC View Post
My friend is the CX dealer in the Pac NW and said he will ship anywhere in the US!

You can order the 4 oz squeeze bottle online ( Guns is same formula)

http://corrosionxnw.com/shop-3/corrosionx-for-guns/

STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Today, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by denisoni1
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Mar 2014
140 Posts
"Bad Beat" Finale

Some final rigging methods and my Bad Beat overview (starts at 9:43)

Joysway DRAGONFORCE65 RG65 Build Final (15 min 54 sec)

Please let me know if I've done anything wrong or if there is anything you see could be improved on.... Thank you!!
denisoni1 is online now Find More Posts by denisoni1
Old Today, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,198 Posts
Tell Tale site

Here is a good site I found for reading tell tales

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/209338/n...lingtales.html

Obviously you can shrink this to scale but the theory is exactly the same.

They are really handy in the lighter wind bands, and also as Barry says, if you cant see em they dont do you much good. I would also say that if you are setting courses where you cant see them for a majority of the time then those courses are probably too big for the size of the boat! (depending on your eyesight of course )

I dont know about y'all but there have been many times I was cruising along and suddenly found myself 10 degrees off optimal course because of a wind shift. meanwhile half the fleet is passing me by because I was pointing way too low! If you have tell tales to guide you you can quickly get pointed on the correct course and and back in the race

Most Materials Ive seen used are magnetic audio tape strips, mylar, and if you like color you can order some really cool stuff from Goodwinds in Washington State.

They have some excellent choices of 3/4 rip stop nylon https://goodwinds.com/sail-supplies/...on-fabric.html

You can either use doublesided tapem or a small triangle of deck patch/ sail insignia cloth to put them on the sails.

Here are a couple examples of DFs racing in the Texas series that use them:

The
Old Today, 12:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgfQOGn4IRU

Please let me know if I've done anything wrong or if there is anything you see could be improved on.... Thank you!!
Fantastic video and great looking boats!!!
Old Today, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
697 Posts
On the discussion of Tell tails - they may be non-compliant with the "Restricted'' Class Rule - I cannot find any mention of them in the class rule - same for a masthead wind indicator.

Given that the rule is 'Closed' - anything not specifically permitted is non-compliant - similar problem that the IOM class just dealt with.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Today, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgfQOGn4IRU

On the video, at about 7 minutes in -

You bring down both ends of the tack down haul and lead them back to the adjuster. This method gives zero mechanical advantage. If you put a stopper knot on one of the lines at the tack fitting on the goose neck, and bring down the other line to the bottom point and back to the adjuster, you will get a two to one purchase - you may not need the mechanical advantage - but it will allow better fine adjustment of the luff tension.

On the boom outhaul, I would tie the knot tighter around the boom to reduce the ability of the sail to pull forward in gusts. The loose knot as shown allows the clew to 'float' - and this increases the draft in the foot of the sail just when you don;t want it.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Today, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by denisoni1
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Mar 2014
140 Posts
Thanks for the rigging comments and explaination John ... Appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
On the video, at about 7 minutes in -

You bring down both ends of the tack down haul and lead them back to the adjuster. This method gives zero mechanical advantage. If you put a stopper knot on one of the lines at the tack fitting on the goose neck, and bring down the other line to the bottom point and back to the adjuster, you will get a two to one purchase - you may not need the mechanical advantage - but it will allow better fine adjustment of the luff tension.

On the boom outhaul, I would tie the knot tighter around the boom to reduce the ability of the sail to pull forward in gusts. The loose knot as shown allows the clew to 'float' - and this increases the draft in the foot of the sail just when you don;t want it.

John
denisoni1 is online now Find More Posts by denisoni1
Old Today, 02:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
On the discussion of Tell tails - they may be non-compliant with the "Restricted'' Class Rule - I cannot find any mention of them in the class rule - same for a masthead wind indicator.

Given that the rule is 'Closed' - anything not specifically permitted is non-compliant - similar problem that the IOM class just dealt with.

John
You are exactly right John,

The subject has been brought up last year and at that time I talked to the gang of 3 about the issue.. it has been Oked should be added to the website and /or the new rules update when it comes out...