Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Motor mount for Hellen

I had to deep six the previous motor mounting that I made for Hellen. The new mount for the motor is a plywood box cut at the correct angle. The brackets that came with the Dumas motor where then screwed into place. I next built a larger box to fit the new motor mount into. The outside box will be glued and/or screwed to platform in the hull in front of the shaft and stuffing tube. The motor mount will fit inside and I will adjust the height and distance forward and aft with shims of wood or paper stock or cardboard. I will hold it down or in place with a clamp made from wood or metal. The motor mount will also rest on a piece of thin rubber or thick paper to dampen the vibration from the motor.

I have a question about using the dumas motor and dog bone. How tight must the fit be fore and aft. Should I leave any play in the couplings and the dog bone or should it be as tight as possible with no play fore and aft?

Phil Roach
roach101761 is offline Find More Posts by roach101761
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:44 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
I'm not the expert on the dog bone coupler but I would think that snug would be the best fit. Too tight could cause excessive wear and too loose would be noisy and also cause wear. You can experiment with different degrees of snugness and I would put a dab of vasalene on each end of the bone to lubricate them. Adjust the play according to the noise it makes. The less nose the less movement in the dogbone. Probably the most important thing is to get the motor alligned as perfectly as possibe to the shaft. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Wiring Harness for Hellen. It actually works!

I have revived this thread because I have made some progress and fear that the building of Hellen will come to and end soon. I have made the wiring harness for the boat and it actually works! I do not know what it is about ship modeling but it seems that all aspects are down right intimidating until you actually have done it. The wiring harness for Hellen was no exception. I had lots of help from friends who actually know something about electricity, volts amps etc. and lots of help from my friends on this list. Nothing blew up and the motor and speed control function very well. I will post the process with pictures and then I will have some questions.

I did not wire the boat prior to building it. I will not make the mistake again. I know there is a lot of wire but I will corral it, and if to much I can always cut, solder and crimp again.

After I made all connections I placed a 5 amp fuse into fuse holder, connected the wiring to the Battery, turned on power to TX, turned on power to transmitter and then hit the throttle stick and what do you know it worked!!!
Last edited by roach101761; Apr 15, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Truly amazing work Phil, incredible detail. I'm in the process of building the same boat - my first scale RC project. I'm customizing it to look more like a Zulu type trawler/seine netter circa 1940s called the Narinia INS134. She sailed out of Nairn harbour, NE of Scotland & was owned by a friend's dad. Of course I was kid then and now living in Toronto. My boat is coming along slowly - lots of trial & error - working from very old grainy B&W photos. The biggest problem for me is laser cut decking plywood is horribly warped. I spent lots of time wetting and reshaping the pieces. The wheelhouse/galley is also the wrong shape and size I'm building it from scratch in 3/16 beech plywood - I wish I had heard about plasti-card sooner! Another trial & error lesson. I'm finishing the wheelhouse interior detail at the moment and working on the cabin interior lights. However your build thread is very informative. I'll share some photos once I get the wheelhouse done. Your thread has given me lots of great ideas - thanks.
thomsd2 is offline Find More Posts by thomsd2
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Thomsd2

Thank you for your kind remarks. Hellen is also my first RC build. I stored it and put it on a shelf for a few years but will soon finish it. While doing this boat I found that I could not have enough pictures of Northern Europe fishing boats. I still do not have enough. I bought a few books on used book sites both on fishing boats and period commercial fishing. It was hard to date Hellen because I felt features of the model mixed a few decades. Note the old style circular early radar antenna, new style inflatable life raft and the obvious newer electric type windless versus a windless with power take off from the diesel. I have learned a lot about fishing boats in the process. I made my windless a winch when it should have stayed a windless. I have decided however that my boat is new purchase for an experienced fisherman and was delivered about 1956. My owner hates the bollard that most boats went too after the war so he has or will install a King post like the boats he grew up on. It will be one of the last of the drift netters. I still am not sure all the stuff jives on the boat.

Here are some book recommendations. The general period fishing books describe methods and equipment. All the books were relative bargains.

Books by Gloria Wilson. Her hobby was to take pictures of Scottish fishing boats and publish them.

Scottish Fishing Craft I do not own. It was very pricey when I looked several years ago.

More Scottish Fishing Craft. 1968 I do own. Describes in detail the boats, the methods and the fishery.

Scottish Fishing Boats. 1995 I do own. Lots of pictures and good history of the fishery, the boats and some people.

Seafood Ships by A.C. Hardy 1947 It has some pictures and gives overview of methods and state of the fisheries post WW II.

Fishing Boats and Equipment by John Burgess. 1966. Think of this as a book directed to a person who wants to buy a boat and go into the commercial fishing business. Hard to Imagine that there was a time when this did not seem like a crazy idea.

All of these books helped me and I still feel that I do not know enough. That is the pain of tying to be a scale modeler.

Phil Roach
Last edited by roach101761; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Agreed - the Hellen is a time confused model - many anachronisms. I ditched the raft and went with a scale 10' dinghy which is what they used in Scotland. There's one on stowed on the stern of the Narinia photo.

You may have found it already but check out Trawler Photos web site. http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/ They have thousands of photos but you may find the following of some interest: Herring Ring Netters, Vintage trawlers, Fishing Gear, Trawler Models. And thanks for the book references.
thomsd2 is offline Find More Posts by thomsd2
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Modification to Motor Mount.

I initially used the Dumas metal band to hold down the motor. I could not get it to align fore and aft in a straight line. Therefore I decided to go another route and modify the mount to hold the motor with zip ties. I posted another discussion on zip ties on this site and the group thought that zip ties would work well and if I used steel then there would not be any heat issues that might be created by plastic. Several people however thought that there would not be enough heat on MY MODEL to cause plastic to fail. I have run my motor and wiring harness for a solid hour with almost no heat, so on MY MODEL I think plastic would be ok as well.

To keep my build log intact I have re-posted the pictures from the zip tie discussion here.

Phil
Last edited by roach101761; Apr 21, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:14 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,149 Posts
roach101761,

Glad you started this thread up again; you've done a beautiful job .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Mark

I did not want to start it up again until I knew it was going to get finished. Knock on wood. The electric stuff was a major hang up for me. Never did that before. Soon I will be able to say BEEN THERE DONE THAT.!!! and got the t-shirt. I was asking questions under new discussion threads, and as you noticed I repeated them in my build log to make it complete. Thank you for your encouragement.

Phil
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
New Battery for Hellen

Having bought the kit, the battery, the charger, the radio and a speed control (that will not work with this model) at the same time in 2005 I have learned a lesson about batteries. If they die they die and they will not come back. I had been warned that if it goes it may not take or hold a charge. Guess What? They don't.

I went in search of new battery and the help as always on this list is helpful and wonderful. Went to Batteries Plus (they carry light bulbs now) and got a 6 volt 5amp replacement. They also had the same type of Dumas 3 cell battery, but I decided to go to the more square battery. It fits in the boat just fine and I will only have to add a stop or two to hold it in place. Its the exact battery Patmat recommended. Below are the photos of old and new batteries for Hellen.

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY NEW BATTERY. I ran the motor through speed control and my wiring harness for a full hour on the bench. It was going full on the whole time. It did not really change speed. Is this the amount of time I can expect when the motor is connected to the prop and boat is in the Water?

Phil
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Corralling the wiring

I have now used mini zip ties to corral the wiring for the Hellen. From the photos above you can see that I had wire running every where. I did not cut the wires on my ESC and left them the length they came. When all zipped together the wiring harness is now over two feet long. The ESC will be mounted on a tray and sit on it's edge almost perpendicular to the motor. All Dirty wires will run forward to inside bow of boat and then come back, hook to battery first and then to the motor. The photo below where the wire is in a circle is the battery hook up. The leads for the motor run forward to the motor. The black and white Clean wires are for the RX and go aft to RX. This should be enough separation.

Phil
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach101761 View Post
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY NEW BATTERY. I ran the motor through speed control and my wiring harness for a full hour on the bench. It was going full on the whole time. It did not really change speed. Is this the amount of time I can expect when the motor is connected to the prop and boat is in the Water? Phil
No. On the bench the motor runs under essentially no load. The current through the motor is relatively small. If you have an Amp Meter you can measure the motor current at maximum speed. Once you have the motor, shaft, prop and so on installed in the boat you can try it again with the boat in a test tank so the propeller is in the water. (Tie the boat to something so it can't move, or hold it) Then measure the motor current again (max speed) and you will see that it is higher. You only need to run it long enough to get a stable reading.

If you assume the battery is fully charged and your measured motor current is 10 amps for example. Then run time would be about 5 Amper hours / 8 Amps motor current = 0.625 Hour(s) run time. Or about 37 minutes.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Mountings for install of Running equipment.

Have been off the net for a few days. I would like to thank Apismelifera for the explanation of the power consumption for my wiring harness with just a bench test vs. placing it under the load of the Boat in the water. I have now added the necessary mountings in the boat to be able to install the running equipment.

WARNING!!! I did this after the hull was completely built. I had to retro fit the boat to receive the motor, battery, receiver, ESC and servo. A very bad Idea. I figured the Hellen is HUGE so it would be no problem to add it later. I got it done but it would have been much easier to do it to begin with. As of yet I still have not put it in the water so if there are leaks I am screwed.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Mounting for ESC

The mounting for the ESC will fit vertically at an angle on port side of boat. All wires go toward bow of boat and come back and hook to battery and then to the motor. It is locked in place by stop placed on back side to prevent movement fore and and aft and cut outs on bottom edge.

All components are removable. Only the box to place motor and mount in must remain.

Phil
Old May 04, 2012, 09:31 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Potential Short

I would move the capacitor leads up a bit to get them off the motor case. If they both make contact at the same time your ESC can be damaged.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera