Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:03 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Xxrando,
Yes, I believe I checked that thread and he had to re-do the gear placing it much farther forward. After he made that correction he had no problem taking off with LG.

Vinnie,
You know, I might be wrong blaming torque, when the real problem is just not having enough airspeed. The failed launches with my light MJ are usually straight nose in, or a hard belly landing for launches that almost get airborne.
The bungee or LG have to be the only 100% answer, unless you have a really good pitching arm.

Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2006, 11:58 PM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
My hand launch experience went from a perfect toss, stait as an arrow, to a couple with increasingly precarious rolls, to consistent nose-in darts. I'm not really sure how to explain the inconsistency. So far, two bungee launches have been flawless.
xxrando is offline Find More Posts by xxrando
Old Feb 02, 2006, 10:19 AM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
danny,

you figured it out. the distance from the c.g. to where the main landing gear is, the MJ does not have enough elevator authority/leverage to push the tail down for takeoff. a little nose up attitude should help with the rolling takeoff.

xxrando,

i'm with you brother. there is something i'm not understanding about MJ's launch results. i have two great mysteries in my life now... the MJ launch, and why my irons and woods never work together on the same golf outing.
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Feb 02, 2006, 10:23 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
I noticed that mine always was rolling to the left on hand launch. I have since adjusted my toss to kind of throw it like I am trying to throw a spiral. It has been fairly level since I adopted that style.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Feb 02, 2006, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Foam Crazy,

Funny, after I finished the steerable nose gear I notice it sits in a slightly nose up attitude. I got lucky there. I still haven't taken it to the field. Work keeps getting in the way, but I'm anxious to see my results. I'm bringing a camcorder with me for this flight. If there's no one to do the taping I'll just put the camera on the runway and get the footage that way.

Danny
Old Feb 03, 2006, 12:57 AM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
I think you should be good to go nose up. I do wonder how effective the steerable nose gear can be. Here's to hoping you get a clean taxi / take-off!
xxrando is offline Find More Posts by xxrando
Old Feb 03, 2006, 03:14 AM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
The nose gear I think will be very effective. As a matter of fact it might be too effective. I used the inner hole on the servo arm and dialed in some expo so it won't be overly sensitive.
The original fixed nose wheel mod was totally unuseable. No matter how I bent the nose gear to steer straight it would veer off to one side or the other. Wound up breaking one of the CF rods on the main gear when it veered off the runway onto some rough ground. If you look close you can see the crutch repair job.

Looks like the first flight with the new LG might not be until next Sunday or Monday.

Danny
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:53 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Great thread! Here is my Micro jet. Some of the mods I have done: Gorilla glued 1/8 CF spar down the center by cutting a channel with a dremel and backfilling with light weight spackle. Fiber glassing the inside part of the plastic liners with thinned goop. Painting the whole plane with goop thinned with lacquer thinner. (Warning, this stuff is toxic to work with, make sure you do it under ventilation and use an organic respirator.) I plan to make the fins removable as well, but haven't decided on how to do it yet, so far it looks like nylon screws are the first choice. Airbrushed the jet with florescent paints, so I can keep track of it when it goes past the 100mph mark. I wanted to paint the topside as well but had to keep the weight down, also sealed the paint with a layer of WBPU. Power plant will be mega 3turn and the razor 2500 as a light weight setup. Should be a fun plane to fly if I don't bury it into the ground too soon

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Old Feb 04, 2006, 02:07 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Great looking MicroJet kfong!!!
Love those colors! I'm sure it'll help in the air.
What's your AUW? When do you think you'll maiden it?
This is a great thread for the MicroJet! Lot's of good info and mod's.
I just got mine finished using some of the mod's I've found here.

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Feb 04, 2006, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Kfong,
Really nice job. I especially like the black canopy with silver. Why didn't I think of that? I might have painted the plastic motor cover black also. Ah, maybe on the next MJ.
As far as the removable fins, yes, I'd say nylon bolts are the way to go. I used metal bolts only because I didn't have nylon on hand in that small a size, but if you go with nylon you can use a slightly larger size since they're so light. You'll just have to use a washer on the bottom so it doesn't compress the foam too much when tightening. Ideally each fin should have two bolts, but one does the job pretty well.

Danny
Old Feb 04, 2006, 02:58 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Thank guys, after looking at the pictures posted. I said to myself, it needs to look faster. Flames came to mind. So, downloaded flames from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029 Another great resource and cut them out on a transparency. This is the first time I've tried stencils and airbrush. I did a practice run and was impressed with the results. Here is the finished product. Currently waiting on my berg receiver to arrive for it. Since it's winter here, I'll probably wait for a nice day to fly her. I will probably go with one nylon screw. I'm tempted to do the LED mod as well while I'm waiting.

AUW hasn't been determined, I'm tempted to go light with the Razor 2500 for the first flight.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Old Feb 04, 2006, 03:43 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Finally got my MicroJet finished. AUW is 11.8 oz's. It's powered by a LittleScreamer Park Jet Motor (special wind) all 23 grams of it, an APC 6x5.5 prop, Coolrunning A-12 ESC, TP1320mAh 11.1v prolite battery. It uses an JR610 rx and 2 HS-55 servos.
Thanks to everyone on this thread for the great ideas on the MicroJet. I added a c/f rod to the bottom, glued the rear hatch to the front hatch and then added rare earth magnets to hold the back end on. I enbedded short pieces of dowel for screws to hold down the motor cover, added small slots in the motor cover to get more air to the motor, and of course, I made a custom motor mount for the LittleScreamer Park Jet Motor. It balanced out easy and should fly well. My plan's are to maiden it tomorrow. The winds are blowing about 22 mph out there now or I'd do it today.

Harry
Old Feb 04, 2006, 03:44 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
And a few more. . .
Old Feb 04, 2006, 04:14 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
harrymc

Your MJ looks good, and the motor and mount looks interesting. I wish you all the best on the maiden and be sure to let us know how it went.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Feb 04, 2006, 07:02 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,289 Posts
Very Cool Harry!!
Can you get video Too? I love my MJ with this set up. It absolutely ROCKS!! Then when I'm done, it floats in to a soft landing, not the white knuckler your used to with the other set up.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent