HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Question
New to RC helis... need suggestions

So I just got a v911-pro last week after flying an s107g... I didn't think I'd want to go further than the v911... now I'm hooked lol . I'm looking for suggestions for my next step (in about 2-3 months).

I've been doing a lot of research in the past couple of days and have narrowed it down to a couple of options, however I have some questions.

1) HFP80/100 FlySky - BNF with v912 TX. If I decide to upgrade in the future, I could get a devo7e and mod it for FlySky compatibility. I just don't know if I should get the 80 or 100.

Which is better handling in wind? And would either fly well with the v912 TX or do I need a programmable TX?

2)HFP80/100 HiSky - BNF or RTF with an X-6S TX. Cheapest "Buy it all at once" option. Problem with this is I'm limiting myself to HiSky protocol, which is fine by me, I can upgrade to HCP80/100, but I think I read something about HiSky changing protocol with the upcoming models.

Would the upcoming models be compatible with HiSky Protocol?

As far as experience goes, I've only flown 3ch coax toy helis before the v911, however I also have some cp heli flight time in a simulator (clearview).

Feel free to make suggestions! I'm looking for the least damage to my wallet lol.
haxordotcom is offline Find More Posts by haxordotcom
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:19 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,801 Posts
All the clones out there Hisky looks to be the best of lot. WL toys has way to many protocols. Hisky has some nice looking birds and about to release some 130 sized helis. V912 is just a bigger V911 you will learn little from it. You said you are flying c/p's on sim. Most heli flyers that have more than a small desire for helis goes to a c/p. There is alot of onfo on forum about all these.
Now if you want to be able to fly much bigger helis later Blade is good as go up to 700 size. Walkera is fine also and Devo 10 is very good. They go up yto a 500 sized c/p. None of the clones come close to this.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:06 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2013
562 Posts
after v911 I got walkera super cp with devo 7e and it was the best move for me

I loved that heli but cant fly it anymore as main borad is broken after so much abuse I gave it It took a lot I have to say.

Mini CP is another good one from walkera. Both of these can be converted to BL.

I ordered new mini cp not a long ago (still waiting for it) I just cant give up on these little birds there is something about them and many people said even after they got big helies they always come back to micro's
jamichx is online now Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:49 PM
Joined May 2014
52 Posts
I was in the same position a couple of months ago and like the poster above i moved straight from the v911 to the super cp. I think it was a good decision because the super cp is very beginner friendly and the devo 7e will give you a lot of flexibility in future because you can mod it to fly blade, hisky and wltoys protocols. It certainly isn't easy to move directly from v911 to cp but the challenge is part of the fun and the super cp can take a lot of abuse.
helibg is online now Find More Posts by helibg
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

@dankar04: I agree with you on HiSky, and wouldn't mind sticking with them if their protocol stays the same and I can use the x-6s in the future. I wanted to upgrade to one of their 130 size birds, but I don't think I'll be going bigger than 200 size.

@jamichx, helibg: The super CP looks awesome, but out of my budget I'm trying to spend less than $80 at first, to see if I continue flying or not.

Does anybody know how the hfp80 flies with the v912 tx?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:26 PM
no borken corters allowed here
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jul 2013
135 Posts
HiSky has 2 versions of the HFP 80 and HFP80-the original HiSky protocol and the HFP80FS and HFP100FS that use the flysky protocol. Those are the ones I have since I have the V913 TX. They would fly better with a programmable TX but they fly pretty good with the V912/913 TX. MassiveRC has HFP80FS bnf for $28. And they are in the US. They have plenty of spares and shipping is very fast.
rontech420 is offline Find More Posts by rontech420
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Thank you rontech420! I think I'm going to go for the HFP80FS BNF and then upgrade later to a devo7e then.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:36 PM
Bryan, Texas
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
Anyone know of any discount code for MassiveRC?
riverrat88 is offline Find More Posts by riverrat88
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:46 PM
Bryan, Texas
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
One other question on the HFP80FS and HFP100FS is the battery connect the same type as the V911?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:14 PM
no borken corters allowed here
Joined Jul 2013
135 Posts
My V911 batteries plug into the battery connector on the HFP100. the HFP100 batteries are 3.7V 300 mAh and the v911 batteries are 3.7V but only 150mAh. So theoretically they would work but you would get only about 2-3 minutes flying per battery. The HFP80 has 3.7 V 180 mAh 15c batteries that have a different smaller connector. The charger that comes with the HFP80 comes with 2 pigtails that have the smaller connector for the HiSky battery on one end and the standard V911 connector on the other. You probably can use the HiSky charger to charge the V911 batteries. I don't know if they have a discount code however the BNF HFP80 and HFP80FS are $25 right now. They include 2 batteries, neon spare main blades and tail rotor, a small bag with extra screws, servo linkages, grommets for the canopy, screwdriver and allen wrench. You can't go wrong with this deal. I may go and buy a 2nd HFP80 for a spare just because at those prices it's cheaper than a V911.
rontech420 is offline Find More Posts by rontech420
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:54 AM
Bryan, Texas
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
Well, I bite the bullet last night and brought the HFP100FS for a $28 and like $4 shipping . I have a Thunder charger so I good to go at charging the batteries and I have the V912 transmitter for the V911 that should work for now. But I am planning on getting the FS-T6 transmitter at the end of the month. I don't get to fly indoor, I have to go and fly at a nearby park. I can tell you it alot of fun flying the V911 in the wind alot nicer when the wind die down. So I decide the HFP100FS should be a better fit for me than the HFP80FS for outdoor flying. I haven't made up my mind if I will fly the HFP100 when it come in or wait till I get the FS-T6. Probably will aleast have to give it one try with the V912 transmitter.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:50 AM
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
@rontech420: Do you know if the hfp80fs (particularly the one on massiverc) comes with bulleted spare blades? The mini review on here by jameschen came with bulleted ones, but the pics I see on banggood show plain blades.

I'm about to take the plunge and get an hfp80fs, hopefully this would be a good choice as I plan on doing about equal outdoor and indoor flying. Any advice on which spare parts to get with it?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:38 PM
Still crashing everything!
Joined Mar 2014
461 Posts
I'm a big fan of the HiSky HFP model helicopters. I've listed the HiSky helicopters that I own.

HiSky HFP 80 (V1)
HiSky HFP 80 (V2) x 2

HiSky HFP 100 (FS)
HiSky HFP 100 (V2) x 2

Just to be clear the HFP indicates that they are fixed pitch helicopters. These all share similar flight characteristics. All (V2) models are "6G" stabilization so are much easier to fly and much more stable than the V1 versions. The V1 versions however are much more lively and responsive but they do require more skill to fly; in my humble opinion they are more fun.

You can get the HiSky X-6S Transmitter for around $30 from MassiveRC, I would not bother purchasing the FS models of the HiSky helicopters. The X-6S transmitter isn't that expensive and is a much better Tx than the V912/V913 Tx. I've used both so can speak with some authority. It's nice to find the models already listed when you buy the Tx too.

Between the HFP80 and the HFP100 there isn't a lot of difference in how they fly. For some reason my thumbs seem to like the HFP80 better than the HFP100 but I can't tell why. Maybe it's just the color?

For spares I'd get canopy, rotor blades and tail booms. That's all that I've needed so far. I did manage to break a ball of the swash plate, but I did that myself, not during a crash. I'd probably buy a new swash and tail rotor. Hell, given a bit of time I'll have 6 of each model and 10 of each part spare part before I'm happy...hehe

I like lots of spares becuse when it comes to crasing, I'm rated at supreme master of the universe.
dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
Last edited by dteel; Aug 15, 2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Thanks dteel! I already ordered the hfp80fs this morning though, with spare blades, tail booms, main gears and batteries. I plan on upgrading to a devo7e pretty soon and modding it for flysky/hisky. I'll probably end up getting an hcp100 afterwards, and then hcp130s. Maybe a master cp after that if my wallet allows lol.