HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:20 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Discussion
What kind of wires for LED Soldering?

A few years ago I got into night flying. I bought some LEDS from hobbyking and put them on my Phoenix Evolution glider. I loved flying at night and it looked very good at night.

Anyway, I took all those LEDs off and took a year off from flying (mostly) because I got interested in bass fishing. Now I'm back flying (and fishing) and I want to put my old LED lights on my Pop Wing flying wing.

I am wondering - what wires do you use to wire together your LED strips? The wire I used a few years ago was rather thick and I want thinner wire. There is video by Flight Test on hooking up LEDs and in the video they say they use something called foam wire. I'm not sure what that is unless they were talking about the foam wire made to hang up plants.

So, what wires do you all use and are there any really thin wires that would be good that I can find at places like Lowes or Radio Shack or Menards?

Just to be clear, the wires I'm talking about are what you use to wire up your different strips of LEDs so you can connect them all together.

Thanks much!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:20 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
I've had good luck with the wire in old ethernet cables. There's 8 strands of 22 or 24 gauge wire.
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:10 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,939 Posts
IF you want very thin and Cheap to buy wires? Local 1$ store for earbuds.
Or if after a wee bit thicker , but still thin /light .
Use the wires inside an old Mouse cord.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:23 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,474 Posts
I use old parallel printer cables. They have many strands of nice color coded wire inside.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Apr 20, 2014, 03:15 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer View Post
I use old parallel printer cables. They have many strands of nice color coded wire inside.
Wow, and I thought **I** was a packrat!!
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:59 AM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Nevermind, Can't buy at radshack etc.
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:06 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
I've had very good luck with this stuff from JameCo. Comes in a bunch of colors too.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=734503

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:04 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
I've had very good luck with this stuff from JameCo. Comes in a bunch of colors too.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=734503

-K

Is 26 gauge wire thin enough to easily work with when it comes to soldering LED strips together? I found some 36 gauge wire on hobbyking. Is 36 gauge suitable for LEDS or is it too thin?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old May 02, 2014, 08:55 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Is 26 gauge wire thin enough to easily work with when it comes to soldering LED strips together? I found some 36 gauge wire on hobbyking. Is 36 gauge suitable for LEDS or is it too thin?
I've used 32 and 36 gauge servo wire with no problems. I'm experimenting with 31 gauge magnet wire for LED's in a balsa wing.
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old May 04, 2014, 11:48 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I've found it easy enough to work with. I'm flying multirotors, YMMV with planes or helicopters.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad