HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2014, 01:22 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Discussion
Haoye 12B 90mm

Has anyone tried this fan yet? No specs really on it and is also available in 100mm.

http://www.haoyemodel.com/product_de...eId=23&id=1190

Model: 01501-150412BBlade

Diameter: 89mm / 3.5inch

Outer Case diameter: 96mm

Wall thickness: 2mm

EDF Lenght: 86mm

Blade Type: 12B

Stator Number:  12

Shaft Size: 5mm
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 06, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2014, 04:35 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Hopefully HK will pick them up so we can try them!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jan 06, 2014, 05:00 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,915 Posts
12 stators is interesting. Wonder what size motors it takes and if larger 8mm adaptors are available.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jan 06, 2014, 05:17 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
These guys stock it stateside. I just bought a JetFan 90mm fan unit today, so ill have to wait. Almost bought 1 to try but decide to just get the JF 90mm.

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=checkout/cart
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 06, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 06:28 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
732 Posts
I just ordered the haoye 12blade 90mm rotor from edf hobbies. I will balance it and run it in the jetfan 90 housing. It should be about 3300-3500 watts on 10s with het 700 68 1125. I believe there will also be a 120mm and 127mm version. Im just hoping its a little louder than the jetfan...they are so quiet in some airframes. I am also going to run the original 7blade Haoys rotor i the jetfan housing as well. You can also get the 90mm haoye 12 blade at hobby king....but its sold under the Lander DPS name.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Jan 06, 2014, 06:33 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
12 stators is interesting. Wonder what size motors it takes and if larger 8mm adaptors are available.
I think the new rotors use the same adapters as the 7blade units...so you can find 8mm adapters at hobby king i believe. I wish Tam would make precision adapters for Haoye rotors. Maybe the Wemo Midi adapters will work?
Old Jan 06, 2014, 06:35 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
732 Posts
The 12 stators might sound cool? Like i said....some of these fans are so quiet...you almost need to make them louder somehow. But not in a way that screws up the efficiency.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
The 12 stators might sound cool? Like i said....some of these fans are so quiet...you almost need to make them louder somehow. But not in a way that screws up the efficiency.
Exactly! Ive almost stalled a few planes because I couldnt hear the fan on approach for landing. One of the reasons I decided on the jetfan over wemo evo 90mm, heard the evo is too quite. I wanted this fan but just wasnt sure of the #s, so waiting for others to test. But hey im on va-k for 5wks end if month so might buy one and test it on 6s.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 07:52 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
732 Posts
The stock housing only accepts 36mm motors...or i would have tried it to see how it sounds. I only have 40mm HET 700s laying around. Hopefully someone will put the stock 12 stator housing in a plane with an HET 650 and get some video so we can hear how it sounds.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:42 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
732 Posts
I hope Haoye improved the centering of the adapter bore hole. I believe this is what holds back the 7 blade fan. I just mounted one up....major runout! I like the sound of the 7 blade when it runs true and balanced... which is near impossible without rework.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 07:53 AM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Has anyone tried this fan yet? No specs really on it and is also available in 100mm.

http://www.haoyemodel.com/product_de...eId=23&id=1190

Model: 01501-150412BBlade

Diameter: 89mm / 3.5inch

Outer Case diameter: 96mm

Wall thickness: 2mm

EDF Lenght: 86mm

Blade Type: 12B

Stator Number:  12

Shaft Size: 5mm

I have them and testing right now!

1400kv 5lbs 12oz on 6s 69 amps...

will test 8s and higher kv on 6s soon. By the looks close to the EVO numbers and cheaper.
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old Jan 07, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
Only accepts 36mm motors the adapter from the rclander 12B 8mm fits the rotor just fine. Was testing the 11b 90mm lander rotor last night in the new light weight lander housing and the sound was incredible..

looks like Ill be ordering some 3670 5mm motors for this new haoye.. Im going to see if I can have a lip made for it..
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old Jan 07, 2014, 10:03 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
Haoye 90mm 12 blade run up

Hi Guy's, I have some of these new style Hoaye fans. While I was in Toledo last year for the show I met Two representative's from the Company and they had different sizes of these new fans. Ken is their EDF engineer and Peter is a supervisor for them. This was their first visit to the Toledo expo. They had a small booth and were showcasing many of their different products along with these new fan units. First I will say we had some nice long talks over the two day event and I learned a lot about the Haoye company. It turns out that Haoye has been around a long time and is a major OEM for many different China based R/C companies. These new fans are just a small offering of all that the different products that the Haoye company produces.

I spent a lot of time talking with Ken and Peter. Peter had to translate all the dialog between Ken and I. When I seen these new fans I realized they were unique. The rotor on their 90mm fan was a 12 blade one piece design. I identified it right away as the "Lander" rotor. With a big smile Ken shook his head and in broken English said no, no we make rotor for "Lander"! That started a great long talk with Ken about everything EDF. The housing's for theses units were unique. 12 stators molded with a stiff plastic were similar in design to their older 5 and 7 blade fans but with a beefier mount plate and more stators. The first thing I said was goodby CS90. The most exciting part was to learn they have sizes all the way up to 127mm. They sounded surprised when I told them what a big deal that was. To shorten the story we had such a good talk that Ken and Peter gave me a couple of 110mm units to take home and test. Since then I have developed a relationship with them via Email. We talk about EDF theory, their products, the U.S. market and how we can get these new fans.

Whats been clear to me is that the Haoye company doesn't really do retail sales. Or at least not on a large scale yet there were no retailers offering these new design fans. I am not privy to all of what their marketing is nor did I want to be. My intent with them has been to test these new fans out and report back to them and then report back here to the world on RCG on their performance. I have been reluctant to post anything here without being able to tell you all how you can buy them and I told them that. Now that I see a retailer for them I feel free to post what I have.

The two 110 mm fans they gave me are sweet. Same one piece 12 blade rotor as the 90. These rotors are strong. They can be used with 8mm shafts. I took the 90mm to over 35,000 RPM and it is stout. I could not really find a good fit for the 110mm ones they gave me so I ordered a 90mm and some 100mm units. The 90 went into a CMP L-39 and the 100mm ones are going in a modified Hero Eagle twin Citation. The 110mm units are now going into a pair of vintage A-4's we have. I also have some of the 127mm units in mind but I am not sure if Haoye has all of them ready yet. Now that this info is out I will contact them and let everyone know whats available and I will continue to report on the performance on all the different fans I test.

The first run up I have completed is of the 90mm unit. I both bench tested it and managed to fly it before our weather went bad. My intention was to over power the unit. If things were going to go south at 4300 watts I wanted to know. The 90mm unit has a motor bore of 37mm. This was a little discouraging because it took out all the 40mm motors. I settled on a H.E.T. 650-68-1130 Kv on 10 A-Specs. Starting with the 100mm fan unit the motor bore sizes go up and this brings all our favorite motors in to play. I installed a 1/8th ply spacer between the housing mounting plate and the motor to insulate the housing from the motor heat. Haoye also recommends this. At these power levels the little H.E.T. gets hot but so far its handling the work load just fine. The rotors were easy to balance and that was accomplished by brushing some clear lacquer on the back side of a few blades. I used a 5mm shaft because of the limitation of 8mm shafts on most 36mm motors. Hopefully all the different motor manufactures will start making more 8mm shafts available and especially without the pre ground flats. I used Haoye's set screw type adapter but when you get up to the 8mm shafts Haoye offers both set screw and clamp type adapters. Even with the 5mm shaft my unit ran smooth without any clock balancing of any kind. My preference is of course to use 8mm shafts and I prefer clamp type adapters on smooth shafts. Thankfully H.E.T. sells their motors without flats.

Here are the stats of my 90mm testing.
Batteries were 10s Turnigy A-specs 5 Ah.
Motor is a H.E.T. 36mm 650-68 1130 Kv
Controller: Castle Ice HV 120
Peak RPM: 35,200
Max current: 109.4 Amp's
Max power: 4322 Watts
Minimum volts at peak power: 3.9 per cell
Maximum thrust tested with intake lip on a test stand: 11.29 pounds / 5.12 Kg.

Those were at peak levels on fresh batteries. After that the A-spec's settled in at around 3.7 per cell. Unfortunately I accidentally erased my inflight data before I saved the file so I will have to wait for the next flights to see how the batteries are holding up under a flying load. In flight this fan moved my 11lb. L-39 with authority. Vertical performance was awesome. I was only able to get one video and that was the maiden under poor lighting conditions and a buddy doing the best he could to keep up with it.

Here is the Castle data log of the final bench test run.

I have posted videos of my descriptions of these fans along with the test run and the flying in my L-39 on my YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClb...V_69fwoAsoCmJg

I will let Haoye China know these links are now up here and maybe I can get someone who can do English to join the discussions. Next up for testing will be my 100 and 110mm units. For now I will keep everything on this thread. If Ken can find a translator and is willing to join in I might start a new thread for that. I will keep you all posted.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Jan 07, 2014, 10:09 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Buck,

Wow great ok info and thanks for joining in. Looks like the 9 blade plus market is growing and for the better...bye bye 5/6 blades a thing of the past.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 10:24 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
You got it V8. I forgot to mention the sound. Its better then the CS90. The dirty ducts in my L-39 probably help that.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo