Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:00 AM
Israel
Joined May 2013
87 Posts
Discussion
How do you maintain altitude?

I'm using KK2.0.
If I hover just above the ground, my quad seems to keep its altitude.
But if I try and go higher, it will either descend or rise, it's a matter of one click up/ one click down. I remember reading something about removing the "clicker", e.g. making the throttle movement smooth, but does anybody have any other idea?
I thought maybe putting expo on the throttle channel but my tx doesn't have that, only for channels 1 & 2.
Did anyone ever manage to use the KK2 Height dampening to maintain altitude? I tried a bunch of different settings and I'm not even sure I saw any effect.

thanks
rikonor is offline Find More Posts by rikonor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:09 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Just above ground it'll hover in or on the "ground effect", i.e. on a cushion of air created by the propellers. Above that, it's all about throttle management with boards like that one. You don't want notches on the throttle stick when flying multicopters. Also, add a bit of expo to the throttle to make it less sensitive in the middle, that should make it easier to get a nice stable hover.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:20 AM
Israel
Joined May 2013
87 Posts
Hehe, thanks but as you can see in my previous post my tx only has expo for ail/ele.
Does anybody have a good guide on how to remove the notches from the remote? I'm using a futaba 6exa.
Other then that it's just throttle management?
rikonor is offline Find More Posts by rikonor
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:26 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
Throttle management is something that you'll have to do constantly. If you're already hovering, you know how you're constantly moving the cyclic to keep it in place, the same goes for your altitude, there is no setting on the throttle that will keep its altitude for you.

You constantly adjust your throttle to 'nudge' it back into the right altitude and keep doing this for as long as the quad is in the air.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:19 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikonor View Post
Hehe, thanks but as you can see in my previous post my tx only has expo for ail/ele.
Does anybody have a good guide on how to remove the notches from the remote? I'm using a futaba 6exa.
Other then that it's just throttle management?
You are not looking for expo, you are needing to adjust the throttle curve.

Normally you go to the throttle curve setting then take off and hover, have a look on the controllers throttle curve while hovering to get an idea where it is (normally you are looking at a little graph), then you want to adjust the curve so it is reasonably flat on either side of the "hover" point (make sure you land and disarm first). This will make it much less sensitive to throttle changes and help give you a smooth response when moving around. Just be aware that you will also increase how quickly it gets to that hove point so just be careful on your first few take offs till you are use to it.
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:57 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikonor View Post
I'm using KK2.0.
If I hover just above the ground, my quad seems to keep its altitude.
But if I try and go higher, it will either descend or rise, it's a matter of one click up/ one click down. I remember reading something about removing the "clicker", e.g. making the throttle movement smooth, but does anybody have any other idea?
I thought maybe putting expo on the throttle channel but my tx doesn't have that, only for channels 1 & 2.
Did anyone ever manage to use the KK2 Height dampening to maintain altitude? I tried a bunch of different settings and I'm not even sure I saw any effect.

thanks
Take the clicker off of the tx throttle stick. Then practice. You don't need to adjust the throttle curve like everyone says. You need to PRACTICE.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:09 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
Take the clicker off of the tx throttle stick. Then practice. You don't need to adjust the throttle curve like everyone says. You need to PRACTICE.
That all depends on his RX's resolution.....
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
United States, MI, Dansville
Joined Oct 2012
479 Posts
the futaba will have a little metal piece next to the stick on the inside of the radio either bend the metal up so it doeant make contact with the clicker part (this will remove the tension or feel of the stick also) so what i did on my futaba was i removed the metal then put some small fuel tubing over it then reinstalled it (some times you might have to add a washer under it to get desired feel?) this will remover the clicking part of the throttle stick but it will still have tension when you move it up and down.
dybbob is offline Find More Posts by dybbob