HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:49 AM
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hi,

Did I read on this thread that users are fitting the carbon yak undercarriage?

Too many fast hard landings have taken the "spring" out of the stock visionaire wire undercarriage....

Other than that what a bit of kit.... love this plane, all stock set up, was going to upgrade but the standard stuff is far better than me. As a great man once said " Mans got to know his limitations".

Cheers, Paul
chubbylove is offline Find More Posts by chubbylove
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:02 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Apr 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
I see a lot of new guys on here who jumped on the VA bandwagon,for you lads you might be intrested in a video me and nicola done a while back,special edited video shows the AS3X in action in flight etc... HD, Might be of some intrest to some.

https://vimeo.com/87039933
Beautiful video. Lovely scenery in Ireland.
REXBIRK is offline Find More Posts by REXBIRK
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:08 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Apr 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
How about that. You have exactly confirmed the design and engineering of AS3X. The *ONLY* purpose, intent, function, raison d'etre of AS3X *is* to counteract the effects of external forces. i.e. *variations* in the 'moving body of air.' i.e. what's commonly known as 'turbulence.' If you were to fly without the AS3X on a day with strong -but- very straight flat smooth air you'd notice the variations less. If there's little 'wind' as such but tons of thermals you'd notice them more. In one sense there's nothing at all aerodynamically funky going on without AS3X. That's simply how that particular SIZE/WEIGHT/airframe/wing combination behaves in whatever conditions you were in.
I with you jbarchuk. People like to complain about AS3X but it is amazing for most of us. And to think we can get all that for the prices charged for these aircraft is amazing. Ten years ago it would have been unthinkable. I have flown some 30cc and 50cc size planes with the Bavarian Demon Stabilizing System in them and they too are amazing but the unit alone is $350.00. We get the whole plane ready to fly for that price!
REXBIRK is offline Find More Posts by REXBIRK
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:48 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,234 Posts
My elevator servo has about had it.

Besides a new stocker, any other drop in replacements with the same rotation direction as the stock ones?

I've got some 19g digital metal gears but they operate reverse of the stocker and I don't feel like messing with the AR635.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:35 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post

Besides a new stocker, any other drop in replacements with the same rotation direction as the stock ones?

I've got some 19g digital metal gears but they operate reverse of the stocker and I don't feel like messing with the AR635.
I took one of the servos asused in the Splendor and opened the foam pocket somewhat - -the arm from the old servo -I attached to the new servo arm These servos are a wee bit heavier but a lot more robust and price isn't bad.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:43 AM
HedRick
United States, CT, East Haven
Joined Aug 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Yep me too! One of my favorite things to do is fly low inverted across our hard dirt packed field. Had it going about 5 inches high and at the end dragged the rudder and scrapped it to a stop, ugh! Canopy has major road rash and the CA rudder hinges pulled out. Some thin CA and back up she went. What a fun plane!
Yep!
HedRick is offline Find More Posts by HedRick
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:58 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
Another member of the VA inverted landing club!
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:16 PM
Rookie plane pilot
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post

After a bunch of research and calling HH to confirm they will work, I bought these:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...AsKtG5kflZJ#t2

I haven't installed them yet though... I think I will have to mess with AS3X when I install them, but there are vids to show exactly how to do it.
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:15 PM
-Rick-
Drumore, PA (Southeast of Lancaster)
Joined May 2006
9 Posts
Servo replacements

I've got probably several hours worth of flying with the stock servos, but now one after the other are failing. I've just installed HS-65HB's for elevator and rudder, and they seem to fly great. They are smaller in size, but already had them handy. They have the right rotation, just have to modify the area they fit in. Also, they come with nice servo arms. Got maybe 2 hours on them, seem to be a good fit. Think the ailerons will be next. Plane is to fun to loose from faulty servos.
rtrickyjr is offline Find More Posts by rtrickyjr
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2006
52 Posts
VA with dx18 elev throw prob?

I set up my dx18 per instructions. However thankfully, I think, a fellow flyer noticed it has very little elevator throw in ch5 (gear) 0 selected. About 1/2 in total throw thats 1/4 up and 1/4 down but rudder and ail seem ok. I disabled ch 5 and rate movement seems more normal. But like many it oscillates badly on ele axis. I have rates on switch B and they act normal if in ch 5 1.

What is up with super limited ele throw in ch 5, gear, 0 selected?

Also , it acts like a dead zone, can move sticks one full tick on markings and no servo movement. I tend to pitch up out of a final when trying to correct on landing.
Thanks
Charles Rye
heliofarye is offline Find More Posts by heliofarye
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:52 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REXBIRK View Post
Beautiful video. Lovely scenery in Ireland.

Thanks very much!

It's green here from all the rain we get
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:27 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,234 Posts
Thanks for the servo info. guys.

It seems from your feedback & searching the thread that there ISN'T one go-to replacement that everyone is using.

I've got a 19g Emax digital/metal gear on order and will report back on it once it's here...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
After a bunch of research and calling HH to confirm they will work, I bought these:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...AsKtG5kflZJ#t2

I haven't installed them yet though... I think I will have to mess with AS3X when I install them, but there are vids to show exactly how to do it.
These are excellent servos. I use the 3000, 4000 and 5000 and 6000 size series of these servos in everything from Zoom 3 to 2 meter FAI pattern models
they do rotate opposite direction of the E Flite servo
The arms are same as used on JR for years. you will have to adapt but not difficult - I clip new arm -and attach old one using two tiny screws, drilling new arm to match
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:58 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbylove View Post
Hi,

Did I read on this thread that users are fitting the carbon yak undercarriage?

Too many fast hard landings have taken the "spring" out of the stock visionaire wire undercarriage....
Yup!
Cheap and easy, looks good too.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob