HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
Question
Paypal Question

How do you know when the money you received on a sale is available to be used for a payment on a buy?

Thanks Todd
RCTodd is offline Find More Posts by RCTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,767 Posts
Trader Rating: 230
If you are tight, I wouldn't touch it until the buyer has received his items and is happy, or 45 days, whichever is greater.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Jody
Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Hi, if the buyer pays using an echeck the funds will take several days to clear. Paypal will notify you not to ship until funds clear if this is the case and they will also message the buyer about the matter. (Note: buyers may contact you anyway asking why their order has not shipped. Do not ship until funds clear! If you get bad vibes from the buyer, you can simply refund the order and refuse to ship.)

In principle, once you see the funds in your account you can spend the money. However, like Hemikiller suggested don't spend the money if you won't be able to cover a refund. The customer could decide to return the item or make a claim. Paypal has a 45 day claim window. However, if someone pays through Paypal but funds the purchase through a credit card he can file a credit card chargeback instead. Some chargebacks may be filed months after the purchase. If someone hasn't filed by sixty days, though, you're probably safe.

Happy selling!
RCTO is offline Find More Posts by RCTO
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
I guess i should have gave more info. I bought a kit on wednesday and included the stipulation that i could not pay until saturday and the offer was accepted. I keep my Paypal account separate from my other accounts and if i purchase something i put the funds in the account to cover. Saturday was the earliest i could get to the credit union and when i got there they were doing "Trunk or Treat" in the parking lot and no banking, so i could not deposit the funds.

So friday i sold two kits on this site and was going to use the funds to pay for the kit i purchased on wednesday. Covering the funds for a refund will not be a problem.

I just thought i remembered selling in the past that sometimes the funds were not imediately available. This time looks as if they are. I just feel bad that the seller spotted me the 4 days and i was unable to pay when i said i would.

If they are available i will pay tomorrow after phoning the seller.
Thanks
Todd
RCTodd is offline Find More Posts by RCTodd
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,398 Posts
Trader Rating: 59
When you first activate your account,they can hold your money,even with no claims filed,for up to 21 days....after that the funds are available,and they'll e-mail you to tell you so.
They don't always hold it though.
Nowadays,it's about a 10 second transfer....As soon as the buyer pays,I get the notification.
Even with the stipulations,I think it's the best way to pay both ways...
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports