Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:28 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
As CaptJac says, take offs are optional, but landings are mandatory.
Don't remember saying that .. but wish I did!
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
Time to give the controls a bump before this sinks into the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:33 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
control bump ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:23 PM
Helicopter_Newbie_MD
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Don't Touch The Controls - good advice

This article really hit home for me. I tried Captain Jack's advice and it really worked. It also helps me if I try not to learn and train beyond 1/2 hour. Too much at one time and I get fried and then frustrated.

Thanks Captain Jack.
mattius83 is offline Find More Posts by mattius83
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:51 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
control bump
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:37 AM
HeliBent
United States, MD, Port Deposit
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Captjac, just finding your threads. I found your "3D" thread to be quite useful. I was a guy that got into RC helis a few years back with a fp, than cp exceed helis, but got frustrated, and spent more time fishing!! But recently I bought and built an EXI 500, somehow reviving my interest. Even got some friends flying! The Blade MSR is really what tought me to fly..."right". I worked on my orientations, circuits, etc. But getting into programmable TXs is where things start to get confusing, with all your curves, setups, etc. I plan on getting off work(night shift) and setting my 500 up with your T&P curves. Its amazing how consuming this hobby can get when you actually "get it"!! Thanks for all your work!
suzukirobguy is offline Find More Posts by suzukirobguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
Back home after 10 weeks in Florida and a chance to fly more times than I've had in 100 weeks - got a chance to practice what I preach (teach) and learn some more about learning and how fast you unlearn. The basics for hovering and slow flying were still basic - don't-touch-the-controls - and less was a lot better than more. Only exception was when I needed some elevation FAST - punch that collective! Lessons learned - don't expect to pick up where you left off - otherwise you will be picking up the pieces. When flying nose-in and circles keep at least TWICE the distance between you and the heli that you were used to before, because (1) it keeps you out of range of being hit, (2) the intimidation factor is substantially reduced, and (3) you are a lot less nervous when it pointing at you. Conclusion - muscle memoy retains memory a lot longer than conscious memory so keep working that simulator - it is training more than you think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Back home after 10 weeks in Florida and a chance to fly more times than I've had in 100 weeks
There are worse places to regain your routine....

Welcome home!

Brds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Thanks for this thread.

I'm going to try the "less is better" technique whenever I get a chance to fly my new Nano CPX outdoors where I can wait 2 seconds without worrying about hitting something...

EDIT: I did try this in my house and it is totally possible and amazing. This is the most controlled flight I've ever had. Thanks again!
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Last edited by schott1984; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additions
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
SPaCeMn
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I've started flying my brother's (forgotten) heli until I can buy a plane and the pinching and nudge controlling just seemed intuitive to me. Maybe I'm a heli-prodigy and I don't know it haha
SPaCEMn is offline Find More Posts by SPaCEMn
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
There is a rumor circulating a new helicopter is under development that comes with a dog. If you touch the controls while you are flying - the dog bites your hand! There is more logic than laughs in this design philosophy because it eliminates the biggest problem for beginning students - over-control. How many times have you been told or heard or read "the biggest problem for a beginner is the tendency of over-controlling." OK - so you try under-controlling. Under controlling?? Over-controlling is a result of under-controlling and once you start over-controlling you can't under-control? WAIT A MINUTE!!! You can't fix over-controlling by under-controlling and you can't fix under-controlling by over-controlling. Something ain't right here!! What you usually hear is "it will come with time - you just need more practice" What good is more time and more practice going to do if you are making the same mistakes and you don't have a clue what those mistakes are? You aren't alone with that conundrum!! After writing 2 books and a couple hundred students later - I sat down and had a long talk with myself (I often fall alseep during those conversations) - and one of those AHHA!! moments came to me. Over-control is a symptom not a cause!! SAY WHAT??? OK - read my words!! OVER CONTROL IS NOT THE PROBLEM - TIMING IS!! Now that a lot simpler to read than to understand so here's an exercise you can try at home!

The emphasis of this exercise is to let the helicopter fly itself as much as possible - in other words - keep the cyclic centered as much as possible. Don't follow the helicopter with your cyclic - only give it an occasional nudge of correction. Start with a slow and precise lift-off. This is essential! If your heli is rolling to the left or right when you lift off the ground you are starting with error and are forced to correct. Unless your timing is DEAD-NUTS the error will only get worse not better. Give a tad of aileron at the point of lift-off and then immediately center the cyclic. When you do it just right the lift off will become more and more vertical and more and more controlled. Once you are hovering (2 seconds without roll) the helicopter will look like it is hanging by an invisible thread - what a great feeling!! NOW - and this is the hard part - keep your cottin pickin hands off the controls and let it fly itself. DON'T try to follow it with the cyclic - this will introduce error!! When it starts drifting - it will start drifting in about 3 seconds - give the cyclic a slight nudge in the opposite direction and IMMEDIATELY center the stick - don't chase it - or the dog will bite you!! After the nudge - observe the movement of the heli for 1-2 seconds - if it is still drifting in the same direction - give it another slight nudge - but keep centering that cyclic. If it starts drifting in the other direction - give it a nudge to slow it down - remember just a nudge - than center the cyclic and WAIT to see what it is doing. By giving the cyclic small nudges and WAITING to see how it responds you will start reducing the drifting instead of increasing it!! If you give it too big of a nudge - you probably will in the beginning - don't chase it - land. Start again - the ground is your stabilizer if if starts getting away from you. After a few touch-and-go's something amazing happens - you start to feel like you are flying your helicopter - instead of your helicopter flying you. Practice hovering for longer and longer period of time in a smaller and smaller circle. LOOK MOM NO HANDS!!! You will be amazed how that unstable platform called a helicopter suddenly becomes stable. It is the 1st and most important step in learning how to hover - turning the nose - forward flight and FLYING! Have a great flight!!

In other news - Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 102 has taken off and become a best seller - or at least a good seller!! It was written up in RotorWorld magazine (one of the few helicopter magazines to survive) and received a 5 star review and full page writeup. YEAAAAAA!!! Thanks to everyone's support and encouragement - the Phoenix Flight School has opened its hangar doors again. After being away for 2 months I was surprised the doors even budged. If you struggling to get off the ground and getting tired of picking up the pieces - welcome aboard!! Glad to put you on the training roster. Drop a line in my message box or scratch a message on this post for your boarding pass.

captJac
There is Iron in your words (I got that from Jeremiah Johnson), I tell that to my Son whenever he flies his planes especially, and when he flies his CX, I tell him to plan his moves before he actually does them, I call it a gameplan, some would call it a flightplan, same thing. Whenever I fly any of my Helis, even the Airhog, I anticipate every single move, or try to, that the heli makes, and it makes for a pretty smooth flight most of the time, at least for me, and I've gotten way better at throttle management, especially with this 9104s tendency to "bounce" off the ground...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
450 Helis Rule!
United Kingdom, England, Saltash
Joined Aug 2012
51 Posts
I just wanted to thank CaptJac and recommend his books.

I bought the FAQ102 book and it sorted me out completely. I was going to have a sim training session with CaptJac but after reading the book and a few hours of sim time I am flying the Trex 500 and MCPX without any issues at all. Before I could only tail in hover.

The key for me was "don't touch the controls".

I was always using too much control and chasing the heli. Now it is little nudges and immediately back to centre. Well, after doing that for a while and getting the hang of it it all starts to fall into place and bigger stick movements are then possible without losing control but the key to learning is - leave the sticks alone as much as possible and little nudges and see what the heli does... you seldom over correct that way.

For me the most difficult part was keeping the speed low... control is about control of speed all the time... everything else follows on from that.

Thanks again.
450man is offline Find More Posts by 450man
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
20 Posts
Another control bump Pitch to gain altitude!!!
VonRecktofen is offline Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:04 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
993 Posts
CaptJack, great stuff. BTW, I used to fly from Duesseldorf Lohhausen and got my Private Pilot Licence there, then wandered to England and the USA and got additional licenses and - hopefully- skills. Your fly-hands-off approach is the way to go. In an aircraft you TRIM the sucker so it flies hands-off completely. And, when it is trimmed properly, your DEAD-GRIP will disappear - with some help of that biting-dog AKA flight instructor. Just got into Heli's a few months back and bought a few V911 so I can crash them ( paying dues) and experiment. Have a Mini CP Walkera on order. It's going to be a hoot!
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:29 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
Your fly-hands-off approach is the way to go. In an aircraft you TRIM the sucker so it flies hands-off completely. And, when it is trimmed properly, your DEAD-GRIP will disappear - with some help of that biting-dog AKA flight instructor.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! It was needing a TRIMMING and a few new words. Going to add DEAD-GRIP to my Thesaurus immediately!! Have fun with your V911's - they more fun than your red fire engine when you were 6!! Once you've mastered the controls have a look at the mCPx for the next step up. GREAT little trainers!! They keep you challenged for the next 10 years!

captJac
RCG Plus Member