HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 723 85.97%
were just asking for too much 118 14.03%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:57 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey19 View Post
Yeah, nix that idea! 😡 Wing is torn in two places, and aileron is torn though as well so the whole wing assembly is off and a new one will go on in a few weeks.
Weeks????? Rebuilding what you have is about 30 minutes work. Do that, then when the new stuff arrives change it over. I have yet to meet a foamie that can't be rebuilt. But everyone's different. If you're not into and don't enjoy bodging then skip it but it's more fun to have a few weeks worth of flying than not.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Weeks????? Rebuilding what you have is about 30 minutes work. Do that, then when the new stuff arrives change it over. I have yet to meet a foamie that can't be rebuilt. But everyone's different. If you're not into and don't enjoy bodging then skip it but it's more fun to have a few weeks worth of flying than not.
30min it may be to repair, but a bodgy wing could lead to a complete hull loss. A couple of weeks ain't long, still have Champ, Spit and Mustang to fly. How's the song go "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"? 😉
schuey19 is online now Find More Posts by schuey19
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:34 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey19 View Post
30min it may be to repair, but a bodgy wing could lead to a complete hull loss.
Not a big risk really. If it looks reasonable it might fly less than optimal but nothing worse. I've flown planes with holes, tears, chunks missing and not a big deal. One Slow Stick snapped the spine in flight (POP!) and the wing 'flapped' a bit but was nothing more than entertaining and not fatal. Recently I snapped a biplane wing pylon in flight and the handling got 'very weird' so I brought it down, but again nothing fatal.

Part of that is experience though, to realise and recognise very quickly that something got 'weird' and was probably broken, and then figure out how to bring it down as gently as possible.

Quote:
A couple of weeks ain't long, still have Champ, Spit and Mustang to fly. How's the song go "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"? 😉
Yep understood. As long as *you're* not grounded that's what counts.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2014
29 Posts
Just posting a notice that I now have 95 flights on my T-28. Each flight is for 6 minutes and usually involves a decent number of stunts.

Sometimes I have to cycle the throttle to get the prop to spin but it still flies.

So it looks like these planes are pretty durable and hold up well.

I'm hoping to break a 100 by this weekend then I'll replace the motor.
RC_planefan is offline Find More Posts by RC_planefan
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Yay! Finally, after many weeks of crashing my T-28, I actually had success flying it today. I didn't crash it at all. This is a first for me with this plane. It was totally calm out tonight at sunset, and I have to hand launch it because after one of the crashes, I tore my landing gear completely off, and screwed the foam up so badly I had no way of reattaching the trike landing gear again. So I hand launched and it just flew beautifully forward, nice and steady. I kept the throttle at a minimum so as not to lose control. I took it up and had one or two close calls…..it did a number of rolls and I have no idea why it did this because I wasn't trying to roll it at all. I was just trying to keep it in the air, period. And surprisingly at the end of the flight, I was able to cut the engine off and the little thing glided into the grass onto it's belly in a perfect landing. I was surprised it glided because in the past it always dropped. Anyway, I am a happy camper tonight! I finally flew my T-28 without destroying it. Yay!!!!
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy