Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:36 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
563 Posts
Ts2 took the whole length of the start line up...
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:32 PM
Joined Oct 2013
230 Posts
a Kim Kardashian transom
iicaptain is offline Find More Posts by iicaptain
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:02 AM
GBR 92
United Kingdom, Windsor and Maidenhead
Joined Mar 2012
144 Posts
UK IOM MYA National Championship at Datchet Water

This weekend see the UK national championship hosted by Guildford Model Yacht Club at Datchet Water Sailing Club. The lake is huge 1 mile across and 6 miles around the perimeter. Datchet Water Sailing Club is a premier RYA training centre and as expected the facilities are excellent.

We have a bumper entry this year and entries can be viewed here

http://gbriom.wordpress.com/2014-mya.../entry-list-2/
Sailterry is offline Find More Posts by Sailterry
Last edited by Sailterry; Aug 18, 2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:14 AM
GBR 92
Joined Mar 2012
144 Posts
UK IOM MYA National Championship at Datchet Water

Details of the UK IOM Nationals
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:08 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
203 Posts
Looks like a huge turn out. Good venue. Only three days with 80 boats. Sailing directly off the beach? You guys are going to be busy. Hopefully there is someone shooting video. Would like to see this event. No Peter Stollery or Graham Elliot?

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:40 AM
GBR 92
Joined Mar 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie View Post
Looks like a huge turn out. Good venue. Only three days with 80 boats. Sailing directly off the beach? You guys are going to be busy. Hopefully there is someone shooting video. Would like to see this event. No Peter Stollery or Graham Elliot?

SJ
Peter Stollery is PRO Graham Elliot not attending as he is going to European Championships. We will be setting 2 courses to suit current wind and alternative wind direction, control area will be from the perimeter road looking down onto the lake. Sue Brown will be taking photos but I am sure we can get video of races.

Yes very busy but Peter Stollery is the best guy to sort 5 fleets but we will be rotating 3 at a time to get through the races our aim 18 as a minimum.

One fleet will be racing the next fleet will be held on the water in an area well away from the fleet the 3rd fleet goes to a holding area on the beach and will be checked off. Observers will be taken from the available skippers and rotated as required.

We will be operating a penalty to skippers who fail to carry out their observer duties 2 turns after the start but behind the start line it worked really well at the recent RM worlds and kept all the skippers on their toes and an eye on the heat board. It will help to keep the races flowing. Race team will run the event 100% no breaks or lunch breaks, skippers will take their lunch between heats we will rotate the race team as we need but the event will keep going.

This is my first nationals as event organiser and I am looking forward to it been hard work upto now but I think it be worth it I hope !!!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:49 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Terry, I am sure it will be a great event perfectly organised as usual !
I can't go this year, but maybe next one !

Venue looks promising !
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:11 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
204 Posts
Proton (IOM) 1997 into 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Case View Post
I will be watching this with mucho interest. Please keep us updated. I would also like to know what you were thinking in 1997, if you remember. What did you think the chine would do? Does it relate to any modern thinking or were you on a different tack?
Don
Don,
To be honest the transom shape was an exact copy from my first and previous (IOM) design 'Paracite' launched in 1993. At the time I didnt see the need to change something that was obviously working. My thought was when the hull was heeled, the flow of water would run off from the hull easier with the existing transom shape. Additionally, I did think even back then the chine would reduce any side ways motion.

The 'Proton' design was all about light airs performance, less wetted surface area, a sharp bow shape that would cut through the water easier. In truth the yacht did exactly what I wanted from it whilst in Spain and Portugal, it was only when I returned to the UK, I decided I wanted more from the Proton design when sailing in the hard top suit breeze. However, this was never going to happen because I designed a 'one trick poney'. With the rise of the TS2, followed by the Lintel together with my profession, I stopped designing for 10 years. My introduction back into designing came with the 'Squiggle' (IOM) in 2007.
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:01 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Hi Terry, I see there's a Bob Conner racing. Is he anything to the Dennis Conner who used to come race over here ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailterry View Post
This weekend see the UK national championship hosted by Guildford Model Yacht Club at Datchet Water Sailing Club. The lake is huge 1 mile across and 6 miles around the perimeter. Datchet Water Sailing Club is a premier RYA training centre and as expected the facilities are excellent.

We have a bumper entry this year and entries can be viewed here

http://gbriom.wordpress.com/2014-mya.../entry-list-2/
Squidward is offline Find More Posts by Squidward
Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Feb 2011
662 Posts
Photo Slideshow from Eric Rosenbaum

Great photo work by Eric Rosenbaum, from 2010 US IOM Nats, 2014 Dallas blowout, 2014 RG65 club sail

Enjoy!

Sailing with TRYC / Photos by Eric Rosenbaum (6 min 16 sec)
Windward RC is offline Find More Posts by Windward RC
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM
GBR 92
Joined Mar 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Hi Terry, I see there's a Bob Conner racing. Is he anything to the Dennis Conner who used to come race over here ??
Hi don't know but I will see him on Friday and let you know

Terry
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post

You've obviously not seen Bob race!

Sorry Bob
Ashbyroadeast is online now Find More Posts by Ashbyroadeast
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700 View Post
Terry, I am sure it will be a great event perfectly organised as usual !
I can't go this year, but maybe next one !

Venue looks promising !
I was saying the same,looks like a big open area for some clean breeze and great racing.Yes guys all of us will be here wating on some vids to watch,i'll send you my camera!
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug