Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Yep - that's what it means.
United States, WA, Parkland
Joined Feb 2015
406 Posts
Discussion
foam wings

Not sure where to ask this but this looks like a good place to start.

I have (had?) a goldberg eagle 2 balsa and ply kit, converted to electric. It had an accident and the wings were destroyed.

I have templates and could cut ribs and rebuild from scratch, but I found this place and if foam wings would only cost 20 bucks, I just might do it.

Would I need to cover them in any way? I have two foamies from hobbyking and they look to be just bare foam with decals.

edit -
I finally found info in their support section - they recommend several covering techniques. Balsa sounds like the easiest.

Could I paint them? What would be the process?
flatus antiquus is offline Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Last edited by flatus antiquus; Jul 16, 2016 at 12:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2016, 04:02 AM
Find More Posts by PaulB
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,973 Posts
As no-one has replied to date and against my better judgment….

The company lists 2 types of foam available, EPS and EPP and it will depend upon what you order.

The ‘normal’ way to deal with EPS is to skin them with a veneer and then to paint or cover the skins. The veneer (balsa, Obeche, fibre glass, strong brown packing paper, laminating foil) must first be VERY firmly attached to the skins because it is effectively going to be what gives the panels their strength. Balsa will then need treating and painting, iron on covering would be quicker, simpler and lighter. The other methods could be left as they are (they won’t absorb moisture/ dirt like balsa will) but may benefit from some form of decoration.

The EPP (which is probably what your HK foamies were) will just need some kind of spar to provide the necessary strength and you can then get away with leaving them ‘virgin’ but they will pick up dirt pretty quickly and obviously just look plain. Paint, Iron On covering (careful with the heat), self adhesive vinyl, coloured tape (HK do stuff especially for it) and even sharpie marker pens will do.

‘Covering’ is too loose a term to give a concrete answer, some types of construction (EPS with no spar) will need to be covered with ‘stressed skins’ to impart the necessary strength (this would be the balsa veneer) and may need ‘covering’ to protect the skins themselves and to add decoration.
EPP will need some form of spar to impart the necessary strength for a model of this size but not a stressed skin covering. They would however benefit from a decorative/ protective covering once again to protect from the ingress of moisture and dirt etc……

In both (all) cases ‘covering’ which is purely for decorative purposes is just dead weight, UNLESS it aids you in being able to see the model more clearly at distance and possibly preventing a crash. ‘Covering’ which imparts structural strength is in many cased vital and cannot be left out but will itself often need some form of protection.

The Foamies Scratchbuilt thread has lots of stuff on adding spars, skins and decorative covering for both EPS and EPP foam but it may need a bit of searching.

Paul
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB