New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by bazsound
United Kingdom, Scotland, Cumbernauld
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
Discussion
Moving on up

Now that im back and being a bit more series with proper practice (sim and real practice) with my v977, though i do still through it about a bit and do flips for some fun.

Im wanting to move to a bigger size heli.

originally i thought of getting the xk 110 or possibly the 120, but these are almost the same as the v977 ( with the exception of the 120 being alot more powerfull)

The size botheres me, i love how my v977 flys when ive got it setup well and nothings borken but its so hard to see sometimes and the thing shoots of fast really easily.

Just saw the copter x 250. Really like the look of that, particularly the fbl version. None availible in the UK though
Seen that hobby king has a hk 250 kit for pretty cheap, (obviously requires motor esc reciever battery gyro etc to complete).

ive read that it does need a few mods as theres a few places that have a bit of slop which can cause issues like tail wag.

Some people have said dont get a 250, they move really fast. go for a 450 which is slower and better for learning.

Is it possible to learn on the 250 just taking it slowly and using tame settings? possibly putting a less powerfull motor in it?

The level im at, at the moment is pretty much perfecting tail in, nose left and right hovers and just starting to get nose in, mm by mm.

My hovers are generally in a fairly tight area. from time to time it might drift a bit a few feet in 1 direction but usually my hover is pretty stable (except for nose in where i need more space,)

can do front flips outside up high with high success rate (though i think the recent crashes have been wind related as i wasin 20mph winds). Can fly the heli around and do tail turns and banked turns, however these are by far from being decent.

Got clearview and demo of heli x aswell with a usb rc tx.

Id like a 450 but i think that would be too big and need to be flown at a local flying club.

the 250 i could practice on out where no one is around and take it slow with just hovering until i get it perfected, and have the v977 for flying around.

I have a local flying club that i used to fly planes at many years ago, its pretty nice and they own the land they use which is great so i will end up joining again when im looking to start bigger helis.

After looking into the copterx 250 i think id be willing to pay the small extra money, seems to ket good reviews with some saying same as the hk 250 but 25x better. FBL aswell :-)

I probably wouldnt be flying this for atleast 3 or 4 months, since im going to be asking for it for my birthday, which is next month, then thers carefully building it, and getting the nessesary extra componenets to have it ready for pre flight checks.
bazsound is offline Find More Posts by bazsound
Last edited by bazsound; Jul 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2016, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by farquward
Today is a good day to fly
United States, CA
Joined Sep 2014
667 Posts
Have you considered a Blade 230S? It's only slightly larger than a 250 clone, and can fly tame or do 3D with the flip of a switch.
farquward is online now Find More Posts by farquward
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Mexico, Tamaulipas, Tampico
Joined Jun 2014
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farquward View Post
have you considered a blade 230s? It's only slightly larger than a 250 clone, and can fly tame or do 3d with the flip of a switch.
+1......
ChespiIker is online now Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Old Jul 11, 2016, 03:43 AM
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
Now that im back and being a bit more series with proper practice (sim and real practice) with my v977, though i do still through it about a bit and do flips for some fun.

Im wanting to move to a bigger size heli.

originally i thought of getting the xk 110 or possibly the 120, but these are almost the same as the v977 ( with the exception of the 120 being alot more powerfull)

The size botheres me, i love how my v977 flys when ive got it setup well and nothings borken but its so hard to see sometimes and the thing shoots of fast really easily.

Just saw the copter x 250. Really like the look of that, particularly the fbl version. None availible in the UK though
Seen that hobby king has a hk 250 kit for pretty cheap, (obviously requires motor esc reciever battery gyro etc to complete).

ive read that it does need a few mods as theres a few places that have a bit of slop which can cause issues like tail wag.

Some people have said dont get a 250, they move really fast. go for a 450 which is slower and better for learning.

Is it possible to learn on the 250 just taking it slowly and using tame settings? possibly putting a less powerfull motor in it?

The level im at, at the moment is pretty much perfecting tail in, nose left and right hovers and just starting to get nose in, mm by mm.

My hovers are generally in a fairly tight area. from time to time it might drift a bit a few feet in 1 direction but usually my hover is pretty stable (except for nose in where i need more space,)

can do front flips outside up high with high success rate (though i think the recent crashes have been wind related as i wasin 20mph winds). Can fly the heli around and do tail turns and banked turns, however these are by far from being decent.

Got clearview and demo of heli x aswell with a usb rc tx.

Id like a 450 but i think that would be too big and need to be flown at a local flying club.

the 250 i could practice on out where no one is around and take it slow with just hovering until i get it perfected, and have the v977 for flying around.

I have a local flying club that i used to fly planes at many years ago, its pretty nice and they own the land they use which is great so i will end up joining again when im looking to start bigger helis.

After looking into the copterx 250 i think id be willing to pay the small extra money, seems to ket good reviews with some saying same as the hk 250 but 25x better. FBL aswell :-)

I probably wouldnt be flying this for atleast 3 or 4 months, since im going to be asking for it for my birthday, which is next month, then thers carefully building it, and getting the nessesary extra componenets to have it ready for pre flight checks.
Yes did look at that, but at 165 is probablys omething i wouldnt be splashing out all at once.

The kit i can get bit by bit, as i need to get a TX aswell (devo tx) So devo tx will be on the list first which ill take the tx module out my v977 tx to fly the v977 with, and get the kit i can build up and then after that start adding parts as i go .

I like the idea of building it rather than just buying it almost ready to fly.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by warlikeofchaos
Jungle man flyer
Brazil, AM, Manaus
Joined Aug 2015
463 Posts
The problem of 250 vs 450 is not the squirrelness of it, but the parts cost the same of an 450 and 450 is much better to build and work on.
Trust me, my 250 is almost always down.
warlikeofchaos is offline Find More Posts by warlikeofchaos
Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:00 AM
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlikeofchaos View Post
The problem of 250 vs 450 is not the squirrelness of it, but the parts cost the same of an 450 and 450 is much better to build and work on.
Trust me, my 250 is almost always down.
parts cost the same? the kit for a copter x 450 is 75

though looking through the required parts to complete on eharibo.com is pretty reasonable.

Ill keep that on mind as it looks like to complete the build will run around 200 compared with 160-180 for the 250.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
Just ordered a Devo 10 radio for this build (and also to fly my v977 while i wait on getting the parts)

Ive pretty much decided on the 250 size just now, not ideal i know, and from the videos iave seen this is a pretty twitcy compared to a 450 but hey if i can learn to control this it will make the jump up to a 450 even easier.

im practicing regularly on my v977 which is really challanging in the windy weather we have regularly but its progressing nicely. The new tx should hopefully help now that i can configure it with expo to make it a little less twitchy (make the response more linear?)

Ive seen copter x 250 FBL bundles that go for 80. This is pretty much all the electronics you need, reciever, FBL unit servos and motor. any good?

Or would i be better selecting different compoents, maybe different servos or a differnt FBL system.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
1,310 Posts
I just love my 180 cfx its such a good heli. With few mods (servo ,TT and not needed but very good CF boom ) you have good heli that can stand some crashes.
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Jul 22, 2016, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx View Post
I just love my 180 cfx its such a good heli. With few mods (servo ,TT and not needed but very good CF boom ) you have good heli that can stand some crashes.
ordered the copterx 250, im sure the blade 180 is a fantastic heli, but id really like to build one.

and i can always select better electronics for the 250, ill be using different servos for sure as i came across a blog post where a copterx servo failed resulting in a bad crash during figure 8's.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
1,050 Posts
I've just this week finished building a CopterX 250SE FBL kit.

Motor - Turnigy 2627 4200kv with the pinion that came with the CopterX kit
ESC - Turnigy 18a Basic
Servos - I have a heap of spare servos from a SkyArtec X3V so I used them
FBL / RX - SkyArtec X303V

With the motor the shaft is around 2mm too long. Shortened it with a dremel.

Swash to blade grips - I used Tarot turnbuckle links instead of the ones in the kit. At center stick I have 0 degrees set.

You may find the canopy too narrow. I used a hair dryer to heat it up and bend it out with a small block of wood while it cooled.

Fitting the tail boom - use a dremel to lengthen the locating slot slightly. This makes it easier to fit the belt.

Mounting the motor - I used the outer holes with M3 screws. The motor mount itself needs the slots enlarged to take the M3. Again the dremel did this. Use washes as well.

This little bird fly's beautifully for me. No tail blowouts. Smooth and easy. Now I want to build another one with a Kbar

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Zaphod69 is offline Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2013
806 Posts
http://www.ehirobo.com/copterx-cx250...ackage-v3.html

just found this, complete electronics package for less than 40 !!!!!

this has to be junk?