Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Build Log
Opale OXY 1.5 and Pilot Willy

Greets to all,

Well, this is my experience with ordering and assembling the Opale OXY 1.5 Paramotor Kit ARTF

http://www.opale-paramodels.com/inde...kpack-m-detail

and the pilot Willy ARTF.

http://www.opale-paramodels.com/inde...ot-artf-detail

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us discuss delivery first. If you order from Opale and have the product shipped to the U.S., it will be delivered by DHL. ( At least mine were ) I have high confidence in DHL for shipments that they control from the originating to destination points. DHL will get it there on time and in one piece. Do be certain that if you are receiving the package to your business address ( or any business address ) that on the address label the first line contains the name of the business.

If the first line contains your name and the second line has a 'C/O your business', then DHL will treat the address as a residential address. What this means is the delivery attempt can be made as late as 8 p.m. local time. If your business closes at 5 p.m. then you will miss the package.

If your business name is the first line, such as "big U.S. corporation" and the second line is your name, followed by the street address then DHL treats this as a business address and they will deliver by 5 p.m. local time. DHL is good and you can trust them to get your package to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First the Catagory of this thread .... now really, I will be hard pressed to agree that this is a build ( it is more of an assembly ) but 'Build Log' is the closest category that I had to choose from.
So, it is really an 'Assembly Log' or perhaps an 'Experience Log'.

For der U.S. customers, there are 3 places to choose from to place your order with.

Paramodels-RC from Quebec, Canada. Franck Nowak ( owner ) participates here on RCG via the Paramodels user account.

http://en.paramodels-rc.com/home/paramotor-kits/

While this purchase of mine is from Opale, I cannot say enough good about Franck and his participation here on RCG. Should you decide to choose Opale products please give Franck and Paramodels an opportunity to serve you.

Another choice is ReallyCoolToys.com

http://www.reallycooltoys.com/products-paragliders.html

I have not dealt with ReallyCoolToys but they have, from what I have read, a very good reputation for customer service and they carry a full line of the Opale paragliders and pilots. They do not participate on RCG which should not be held against them. Judging from their product line it would be difficult for them to participate in all the various hobby forums. They are a viable source for Opale products so please do not overlook them.

How any of us buy is often determined by economics. In this case, Opale has a sale going on and with the sale and exchange rate the purchase from Opale was more cost beneficial then purchasing from other vendors. I did not see these sale rate reflected in other vendors ( no idea why ) so I went with Opale. None the less, check money exchange rates, shipping etc., customer service ( good from the above three vendors ) and purchase accordingly so.

I received my Opale 1.5 OXY from Opale this past week. It all arrived in perfect order und appropriately packed. DHL did the delivery and a signature was required.

Opale have been very good to deal with, very communicative during it all. On the initial order, my CC refused the transaction due to the VISA fraud department. I was surprised the next day to receive an email from Opale asking if there was a problem mit their ordering system. Most vendors would not even care enough to write and ask where the problem is. Anyway, it was not an Opale problem but merely my credit card company attempting to make sure my actions were indeed my actions. Three days later I have my Oxy 1.5 delivered. Thus, you can shop with confidence from Opale.

A cursory look at all the components indicates that all of it is high quality and well designed. I have not assembled any of this yet but am eager to begin. Following are pictures of the contents of my package.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Charlescd
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
784 Posts
Very Nice !!!
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:07 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Thank you Charles.

Now for some more pictures. I will start with putting Willy together or trying too. I have ran into a slight snag. The arms for willy are clear plastic or lucite or something and it appears the arms are screwed to the servo arm and that assembly is attached to the servo.

This is a guess on my part as there are no instructions for Willy included or on the Opale site. Apparently Opale have factored in the American reluctance to ever read an assembly manual so did not make one for Willy. Anyway off to the box of a 1000 spare parts for screws and lo and behold I actually need the box of a 1004 spare parts. I do not have a good option for screws. So, on Monday I will visit my local Ace Hardware store. They have around 80 million metric screws that I can choose from.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2015, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by Charlescd
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
784 Posts
You're lucky Ace has a good selection. I used to go to the local Canadian Tire and they had a free service section where you had a good selection. They got rid of what they had in stock and replaced it with standard stuff you see everywhere. Nothing under under M5. I got tired of searching every where and ordered a varied kit from Microfasteners.

If you need pictures on Pilot Willy go here and look under ' Technique - Nacelle / Pilote'

http://parapenterc.com/forum/index.php
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Aug 24, 2015, 05:13 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Thank you Charles. I took a look but the only pictures were of a damaged will being rebuild. That pic had a blurry image of his arms and it looked like perhaps the plexi were glued to the servo arm.

I will continue on and screw the two parts together. Soon I will need to figure out just where is the neutral position for the arms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Chrizz
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
876 Posts
Very nice to see such a detailed review!
Keep it comming :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
Old Aug 25, 2015, 05:58 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Thank you Chrizz. It may be a few days more before I can post more pictures.

I discovered the holes drilled in the plexi arms by Opale do not match the holes in the servo arm. This is no big deal as I will match up the top hole of the plexi arm with the servo arm and then drill a second hole in the plexi that matches a lower hole in the servo arm. Drilling only takes a minute or two with a small thumb drill or pin vice.

I could not get the metric screws I wanted so I will use 2-56 screws. ( #2 rod, 56 threads per inch ) The nice thing about this is that with the machine threads on the screws they will seize into the plexi and hold. This is if I start from the servo arm with the screw and move to the plexi arm. So, I will not need to add a nut or washer unless I choose to.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Aug 25, 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:06 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
I found a bit of time this evening so I worked on the arms. As mentioned previously, the holes in the servo arm do not match the pre-drilled holes in the clear plexi arms. The plexi arm when placed onto the servo arm has the top hole that matches but the bottom hole is off just slightly enough that it is unusable.

It turns out that the holes in the plexi are the right size to take a 2-56 screw. The hole is just small enough that the 2-56 will self tap itself into the plexi. I used a 1/16 finger drill / pin vice to do a pilot hole for the lower hole. I then followed that with a 5/64 pin vice. This only took a minute or two to do and was quite easy.

I first screwed the two arms together with the top hole and line it up best I could. I then used the 1/16 bit and passed it through the servo arm and then into the plexi. All very simple. Below are the pictures of the completed arms.

I would suggest using a screw that has a Phillips or cross-slot head if possible. These are much simpler and safer to have to screw into the servo arm and plexi arm. I really wanted to use a pan head with a hex drive but could not find one. Avoid the standard single slot as the blade will frequently slip out of the slot and you will skewer yourself or something else.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Aug 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:18 PM
hst
Find More Posts by hst
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I found a bit of time this evening so I worked on the arms. As mentioned previously, the holes in the servo arm do not match the pre-drilled holes in the clear plexi arms. The plexi arm when placed onto the servo arm has the top hole that matches but the bottom hole is off just slightly enough that it is unusable.

It turns out that the holes in the plexi are the right size to take a 2-56 screw. The hole is just small enough that the 2-56 will self tap itself into the plexi. I used a 1/16 finger drill / pin vice to do a pilot hole for the lower hole. I then followed that with a 5/64 pin vice. This only took a minute or two to do and was quite easy.

I first screwed the two arms together with the top hole and line it up best I could. I then used the 1/16 bit and passed it through the servo arm and then into the plexi. All very simple. Below are the pictures of the completed arms.

I would suggest using a screw that has a Phillips or cross-slot head if possible. These are much simpler and safer to have to screw into the servo arm and plexi arm. I really wanted to use a pan head with a hex drive but could not find one. Avoid the standard single slot as the blade will frequently slip out of the slot and you will skewer yourself or something else.
Hi,

I saw the kit you ordered comes with the black G10 control arms, which are longer, stronger, and offer larger control throws than the original ones.

G10 arms will greatly improve flight controls of Oxy 1.5.

I use 3mm allen screws for securing the control arms.
hst is offline Find More Posts by hst
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:04 AM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Hi hst,

Interesting. This willy kit came with the clear plastic control arms, not the black. There were no other arms with any of the other kit packages. I will see if they are listed on the Opale or Paramdels-RC site.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Aug 27, 2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: word correction - black
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:47 AM
hst
Find More Posts by hst
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Hi hst,

Interesting. This willy kit came with the clear plastic control arms, not the clear. There were no other arms with any of the other kit packages. I will see if they are listed on the Opale or Paramdels-RC site.

Thanks
The black, glassfiber arms are 1-cm longer than the first-generation clear-plastic arms.

The new arms make a lot of difference in terms of control.
hst is offline Find More Posts by hst
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:38 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hst View Post
... The new arms make a lot of difference in terms of control.
Yes indeed, but your Oxy will fly very well with the arms you have too... just my two cents... Don't hesitate to maiden with the arms you already have, you can always change them out later.

:-)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:47 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
876 Posts
BTW... You posted a picture of the arms with some metal buckles earlier and you wrote something about 'metal hands', I beleive...
The buckles are not Willys hands, but are for attaching the paraglider's risers to the harness (frame or trike).
Willy doesn't have any hands as such. You simply attach the brakelines to the arms, thru the hole, by tying a simple shoelace-knot.

:-)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:29 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Thanks Chrizz .... that makes better sense. I suppose then, what I would call the 'brakes' must pull through the holes in the plexi. My Max pilot arrive but I have not opened the package yet. After I put Willy together I will then put Max together.

Thanks,

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:31 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hst View Post
The black, glassfiber arms are 1-cm longer than the first-generation clear-plastic arms.

The new arms make a lot of difference in terms of control.
Well crud, I wonder why Opale is shipping old stuff? Not to mention old stuff that was not properly drilled. Seems like a good way to annoy the user base. Anyway, I will maiden with the clear arms and see how it goes. It will a good while before I can be too aggressive with this canopy so maybe the clear arms are a good choice for me? It will keep me from getting but so stupid.
RCG Plus Member