Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Joined Mar 2011
1,659 Posts
Discussion
Tomboy FF

Hi Guys! well, after some good time with my oily RC tomboy, i decided to turn of his beginnings. now is FF and today had the maiden, what a very good plane. here some videos, the first was RC
videos.

Oily Tomboy Rc Maiden 3/3 !!!! (3 min 48 sec)

Tomboy FF with PAW55 (0 min 30 sec)

Tomboy FF PAW 55 (2) (1 min 18 sec)
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Adair
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Outstanding Rodrigo!

I have a Tomboy short kit on the shelf, and also plan on using a PAW 55 for power.

Sure would appreciate hearing the details on your R/C setup, as that's what I plan to use in mine (rudder only). Hopefully, I can keep it closer to the field that way.

Bill
Bill Adair is offline Find More Posts by Bill Adair
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Joined Mar 2011
1,659 Posts
Hi Bill, Good to ear about another Tomboy in the planet. maybe the most build model ever.
Here is the link of my build log in the RC version, hope it helps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=oili+tomboy
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by WhyNot
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Bill. Here is a link to my RC rudder assist Tomboy powered by an MPJet .040 Classic Diesel. It started out as a Bob Holman short kit for RC but I scratched out a fixed stab to keep it rudder only. https://picasaweb.google.com/cr.barnesjr
Charlie
WhyNot is offline Find More Posts by WhyNot
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:07 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Thanks Rodrigo,

I took the time to go back and read all the Tomboy build threads, and found many useful discussions there. You had already answered most of the questions I had, so thanks again.

Bill
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:51 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Sleeping on the keyboard, sorry!
Last edited by Bill Adair; Apr 21, 2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Diuplicate post.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:17 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Bill. Here is a link to my RC rudder assist Tomboy powered by an MPJet .040 Classic Diesel.
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the great build photos, and the detailed construction notes!

Beautiful workmanship on your Tomboy!

I have the same short kit, and also plan on using rudder only.

I like your modifications, and that MPJet engine is about as close to perfect for this airplane as we can get today!

Have you flown yours?

Seems like it might require some nose weight.

Bill
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:22 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Thanks Bill.
I have not flown it yet as life and other projects seem to get in the way and I no longer live in an area where flying FF, even RC assist, is an easy outing. It will balance but needed F2 to be opened allowing the battery to reside between the firewall (F1) and F2. If I remember correctly I also had to bend the LG forward to get weight ahead as well. If I was to do it again I think Id build and fit it with the 44 wing.
Old Nov 04, 2015, 06:05 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Hope all is well with you.

Thought I'd check this thread again, but not to goad you on about lack of progress on your Tomboy flights (or flight reports). I certainly have no room to talk as my Tomboy kit is still in the box!

I'd love to get it on the building board soon, since flying is nearly over for the winter here in Oregon.

I'm still looking at different radio options, but there is very little information on RC Assisted FF in the forums I frequent.

Bill
Old Nov 04, 2015, 11:49 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Hi Bill,
The Tomboy has not been flown yet. My interests turned to building EF-1 pylon racers for my nephew and then joining him on his campaign as his caller in the Triangle series of pylon races in central California. He ended up as the 2 Pole champ for 2015.

He lives in Reno and while visiting him I was reacquainted with a dry lake bed just north of town that would be ideal as a site to fly the Tomboy. Perhaps a return visit next summer will include the maiden of my Tomboy.
Charlie
Old Nov 05, 2015, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by mickey t
GO HARD OR GO HOME!
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jun 2007
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adair View Post
Hi Charlie,

Hope all is well with you.

Thought I'd check this thread again, but not to goad you on about lack of progress on your Tomboy flights (or flight reports). I certainly have no room to talk as my Tomboy kit is still in the box!

I'd love to get it on the building board soon, since flying is nearly over for the winter here in Oregon.

I'm still looking at different radio options, but there is very little information on RC Assisted FF in the forums I frequent.

Bill
Hello Bill,
not trying to take over this thread, but, what would you like to know about converting the Tomboy to RC assist?

MT
mickey t is offline Find More Posts by mickey t
Old Nov 05, 2015, 01:54 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Hi Mickey,

Just curious about the radios being used for RC assist these days, as many of the inexpensive 2.4 GHz systems seem to be range limited.

I'd like to use one of the Futaba 72 MHz transmitters I have on hand, and find a suitable light weight receiver to use.

I have a couple of hitec flight packs, one with HS55 servos, and with the Electron 6 receiver on 72 MHz. The other pack has HS80 servos that are a bit heavy for Tomboy size airplanes I think.

Haven't found much information on the other forums I visit, and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks for asking.

Bill
Old Nov 06, 2015, 03:31 AM
Find More Posts by mickey t
GO HARD OR GO HOME!
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jun 2007
208 Posts
Bill,

I use Spektrum, but your Futaba 72MHz will be fine. Any 5 to 10 gram servos will be do, although the HS80 is on the larger size at 17.5 grams, the Tomboy will carry them not a problem.

I use a simple pull/pull system using lite Dacron , just tie a simple knot on the servo horns then pull tight, wrap around and glue to the ply horns on the tail.

With the wing, build the long version. Also add 1 or 2 spars to the top surface, that will stop the wing bending like a banana over time. The spar will only need to be 1/8 sq. or 1/8 x 3/16.

MT
mickey t is offline Find More Posts by mickey t
Old Nov 07, 2015, 11:14 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
147 Posts
Mickey,

Great info, thanks!

I planned on the 44" wing, and upper spar(s) after hearing someone here tell how he folded his wing trying to DT with rudder. The original wing was not designed for negative G forces, and this fellow had lost sight of his Tomboy, and held full rudder to bring it down. No doubt he rolled inverted and picked up speed on the way to his wing folding.

Bill