HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2004, 03:50 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
John, all channels on the RX have power on the + pin, which is typically supplied by the ESC's BEC circuit. The only pin that the TX affects is the signal pin.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2004, 03:58 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,337 Posts
Yup, all the channels on the Rx have power even if you aren't using them. Just be careful, anything you plug in is basically connected straight to the BEC in your ESC. It might be a good idea to use a single CR2477 lithium cell. No resistors to worry about if you use 3v LEDs, either.

Somewhere around here I have a schematic for a strobe and beacon based on a 556 timer IC. If I remember right it's 4 resistors, 2 capacitors, and a transistor soldered directly to the legs of the IC and covered with heat shrink tubing. The beacon doesn't look quite right since it should really be fed a sine wave instead of square, but it's light, cheap, and simple.

Steve
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Expo
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:34 PM
Joined Dec 2000
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbert02
I'm kinda late coming to this thread, but I thought I would show some pics of a Herr Cloud Ranger I converted to night flight...
Great look! I just got done putting these lights on an EStarter. I have yet to test fly it. The plane flew great, then I got the idea to add the lights. Now I will test fly it with the lights during the day to see how it goes before trying to fly it at night. I added two sets of the 5 ft. flexible wire. One blue on the fuse and one orange on the top of the wing. I also added one of the flat strips to the bottom of the wing and wired it into the orange transformer. I was able to fit everything into the fuse with the two transformers and two 9V batteries and still balance the plane ok. It looks really cool in the dark. I'll try and take a pic.

Rob
rplourdejr is offline Find More Posts by rplourdejr
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2004
132 Posts
Thanks guys. I figured it should work with a 4 ch. Tx, but i just wanted to check. Rob, I was thinking about getting an E-starter and putting lights on it. Let us know how it flies with the little extra weight. What size of motor and batteries are you using?

-John
Airborne 2007 is offline Find More Posts by Airborne 2007
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:50 PM
Scott Black, Montreal
montreal quebec Canada
Joined Sep 1999
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
You are correct sir. The lighter GA. you need is not that easy to find. Rat Shack has some relays that you can unwind the coils to get a reasonable quanity. Battery operated wall clocks also have a coil with usable sized wire. Coils in PC hard drives and floppy drives. The stepper motor in a PC floppy drive has some good magnent wire.
ok, thanks for that. I think I have some cheap wall clocks and a floppy drive here to try. Great!
sblack is offline Find More Posts by sblack
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:10 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Great thread!
Sorry guys, I skipped a few pages But if it was not mentioned before- Mr.RC-Cam had great landing light project for someone who wants something more advanced !
http://www.rc-cam.com/index.htm look under special projects, nav lights
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:11 PM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
HI
I read searched as much as I could about LEDS. I tried them at my rX and they worked

the only problem that I have is............

I have a Hitec Neon TX and I have the 3 postion switch. how can I make my LED's work with the switch???

Thanx
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:21 PM
2ManyHobbies2LittleTime
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
There are several commercial switches out there as well as plans to build your own. You might want to check Mr. RC-CAM's web page for plans, but I did come across one commercial source: http://home.att.net/~mechconsultant3/Features.htm

Basically you set a trigger point on a particular channel and once that point is reached, the switch is closed. Wire the switch in-line with your LED(s) and your switch controls your LEDs!

Jeff
jswayze is offline Find More Posts by jswayze
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:39 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
RC-CAM's Nav Light Project

I just got through assembling and testing my first board (I etched & tinned a lifetime supply of boards ). It is a cool project and highly recommended. I'll followup with some additional photos once it is installed in an airframe.
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:43 AM
2ManyHobbies2LittleTime
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2003
363 Posts
That looks great! Looking forward to seeing it installed...
-Jeff
jswayze is offline Find More Posts by jswayze
Old Sep 10, 2004, 02:02 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGose
I just got through assembling and testing my first board (I etched & tinned a lifetime supply of boards ). It is a cool project and highly recommended. I'll followup with some additional photos once it is installed in an airframe.
Wow! Those look great! Any chance of parting with one?
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:55 PM
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
PCB for NAV-Lights

ArcherAce,

You are talking about a bare, undrilled PCB, right? If so, I can part with one I suppose . I can't imagine ever needing all I etched. I just thought I would make some spares as I was able to easily fit twelve on a 4" x 6" copper-clad board. The most tedious part of the project is drilling the board. I found some carbide-tipped microbits at Harbor Freight that worked well.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:16 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
RGose, that looks great! Did you design in any blinking functions?

----------

Long term update: I still fly the planes that I started this thread on nearly 2 years ago. The only long term issues I've had are as follows:

-A couple of the wire-to-LED solder connections have come loose and had to be re-soldered

-One LED has burned out

Other than that, the lights have been great! For flying aerobatic planes at dusk, nav-type lighting has worked well. For total darkness flying, I prefer my Slow Stick which is lit from underneath (white LEDs shining up on the white wing). I've flown the Mini IFO at night, but it's tough to track. It looks reeeeeally wild though!

--------

I missed this until now, but someone asked about the wiring a while back. Radio Shack carries the magnet wire, it comes in a bag with 3 different spools (each spool has a different gauge of wiring, but even the heaviest is still quite light and fine for all but the smallest parkflyers).
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:48 AM
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
RC-Cam NAV-Light Project

Thank you Tres, but the design is not mine. It is RC-Cam's design, I just built it per his well-documented plans at: http://www.rc-cam.com/navlight.htm

Anyhow, there are five outputs (see the double row of header pins on the right in the photo above):
  • The top pins power the Strobe LED configurable for a steady flash or double-wink
  • The next two sets of pins control Landing Lights, either coupled with the throttle or by a separate channel
  • The remaining (bottom two) sets of pins are for the Port and Starboard Wingtip Lights and are always on

The website explains it far better than I.

You indicated that you burned out an LED. If it were caused by excessive current, then check out RC-CAM's handy LED calc to determine the appropriate limiting resistor: http://www.rc-cam.com/led_info.htm#Calculator
Last edited by RGose; Sep 11, 2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 02:59 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGose
ArcherAce,

You are talking about a bare, undrilled PCB, right? If so, I can part with one I suppose .
I wouldn't know what to do with just the PCB. My electronic skills end after I have plug somthing in and flipped the switch.
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce