SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:36 PM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Help!
Too Many Choices from Chinese Manufacturers ???

I was wondering if someone on RC Groups would know anything about who is building what when it comes to Chinese manufacturers. For example. I've been looking at a 73" Sbach and I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at the same model with different companies just adding their label to it or if these are all made by different manufacturers. I've noticed that some resellers will not always identify the manufacturer. Here's my list:

Aeroplus RC, not sure if this model is unique or just rebranded.
http://www.aeroplusrc.com/Demo_showP...asp?ProID=1755

This model's manufacturer is not identified by TBM however they list another model as being from ECOMRC. However I couldn't find a lot of info on ECOMRC.
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...42-30-2AF.html

This one is identified as Goldwing.
http://www.generalhobby.com/goldwing...nge-p-269.html

This one is Skyline.
http://www.generalhobby.com/skyline-...ane-p-641.html

This one is Skyway, I couldn't find any info online about Skyway. However, it looks suspicoulsy like the photos that Goldwing is using.
http://www.generalhobby.com/skyway-s...nge-p-560.html

Skysun:
http://www.skysun-hobbies.com/produc...p?cid=16&id=32

Aerobeez:
http://aerobeez.com/73-25-SCALE-SBAC...NE-ORANGE.html

Redwing:
http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=386

Pilot RC, this version is the most expensive of the group, not sure if this is due to better quality or just a branding issue.
http://www.pilot-rc.com/ProductShow.aspx?id=90

Peak Model:
http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=1384

Vantex:
http://hobbiestree.com/vantex-sbach-...l#.VE2VpRaii6w

My main concern here is not knowing exactly what I'm purchasing. Are all these models of the same quality? Is the difference in price warranted or would I just be paying extra for a "name"? There used to be a time when if I purchased from Great Planes vs. Sig or Byron I would have a good idea of the quality and features that I was paying for. Now that practically everything is made in China, I'm not sure what I'm getting. Most of the time the included hardware is garbage.

On Goldwing's site, it lists different versions of the Sbach Kit but none of the resellers I found make mention of this. Some retailers will list description like Color A or Color B and nowhere does it explain what that means.

Does the market really support 10+ different offerings, whether via branding or different productions, of the same model with the same specs? What's the point of re-branding if it's all the same thing? If someone could shed some light on this... i.e. Pilot RC makes quality products while brand X is garbage or Redwing, AeroPlus RC, TBM are all the same plane, different packaging... I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Kestrel69 is offline Find More Posts by Kestrel69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:50 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
749 Posts
If you realy want an s-Bach hands down pilot RC is the best one. Second choice would be the red-wing. Don't know much about the peaks but I hear they are nicely built.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:24 AM
Joined Jun 2013
384 Posts
I am not sure about the Sbach, but 1 guy at our club just got a Peak MXS, and another guy has the Redwing, they both look the same ( except for color ) and he said they both use the same build manual, but the wing from one wont fit in the other, so maybe minor tweeks are done from one company to another. I just picked up a slightly used Pilot Sbach, and am very happy with it.
Papa P is offline Find More Posts by Papa P
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:14 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
325 Posts
I think it is fairly safe to assume that a lot of those SBach's come from the same Chinese factory.

PilotRC have their own factory (they are based in China and not the US), just look at there "about us" page on their website. I have one of their Yak's and it's a fantastic plane. So fairly certain they only build all their own models.

You also know that if you buy an Extreme Flight, a Precision Aerobatics or a 3DHS plane that you are getting a Chinese made plane but made exclusively for them to their specifications and I'm certain that all of them would have exclusive production deals. All of their planes (and I've had a few) are well sorted and fly beautifully IMHO

Then there are some that are a bit of both. Redwing for example seems to have their own planes, but I have seen their Stintson Reliance model advertised on two other websites with the EXACT same photos including the same distinctive background, the plane had the same covering etc etc. So then I'm not sure about their Sbach for example. I had one of their 30 cc Extra's and gave it away it flew so badly. I think I got one from a batch that wasn't built to their specifications.

Lastly, price is usual a good indicator of quality, as usual, you get what you pay for and a cheap plane is usually an average performer.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Nov 11, 2014, 08:52 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,880 Posts
I would say they are all the same. The exceptions being PilotRC , Aerobeez, and Redwing, those manufacturers may start with the generic Chinese Sbach but they make their own changes. I believe PilotRC is a ground up design however. If you want an Sbach I'd say Redwing is your best choice, Aerobeez makes great planes as well, (I have the 71 Extra, fantastic) but I believe the Sbach is one of their older models. This is all speculation on my part based on things I've heard or read.

I had a pretty generic 60 inch Yak-55 from General Hobbies, it was awful.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 11, 2014, 09:25 PM
Tail Dragger RC
park city
Joined Jul 2004
1,152 Posts
Of all those sbachs I recommend the aeroplus RC, goldwing or pilot..good overal construction and quality components and covering film.
However with goldwing buy a (goldwing) the seller list the sbach as goldwing (arf brand) arf brand is made in the same factory as goldwing and eg aircraft but arf brand is the lower quality of the lines.

Most the rest are the same plane and while decent planes they are not as updated.. Peak/sds/aerobeez/redwing are all made by the same factory. Some have different covering schemes per the vendors spec and maybe some changes but they are basically the same design and all covered in china cote. I had a 50cc mxsr snap a wing tube.

Vantex are just of a bottom of the barrel factory that builds some oem but are mostly the junk hobby king sells.

Skysun seem to be decent but revert back to as copy's of the factory that makes the sds/peak/redwing/aerobeez stuff. Construction is similar.

All would be a decent choice with some the better choice.. Vantex is a no no...
taildragger21 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger21
Last edited by taildragger21; Nov 11, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:49 PM
Skyward Hobbies
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Hey guys

GoldWing planes are the flagship line of GoldWing manufacturing and are of very good quality using high end accessories such as carbon fibre landing gear, control horns, wing tubes etc. The version 4 planes use new aluminum wheels with bronze bushed hubs. all have used Oracover/Ultrakote covering film.

* Version refers to the latest modifications to the airframe
* Type A, B, C etc refers to the color scheme.

GoldWing "Arf" series is an attempt by GoldWing to bring the price point down for the many customers that want a less expensive airframe.
They are basically the same airframes as the GoldWing brand line with the exceptions of using "chinakote" covering, fiberglass horns, plastic hub wheels and aluminum landing gear. there are also Carbon fibre versions of these planes which at that point basically makes the difference covering.
"Chinakote" as it is referred to is not bad covering, The down side is not being able to go down to the local hobby shop and getting a roll of the same thing to make repairs.

EG and a few other brands are made in the GoldWing factory and are usually close in specs to the main brand but have been altered to their customers / dealers specifications.

Pilot manufactures only Pilot branded airframes and are top of the line quality.
Tony uses the best materials and parts and focuses on customer satisfaction.
All of the other manufacturers could take a lesson from his business model.
His replacement wood program is a great deal for those that can repair their own planes.

The biggest part of this puzzle is the customer. Basically what the customer wants to pay for a plane. Most of the manufacturers are producing what the people demand. The lowest priced product with as many of the bells and whistles of the most expensive product they can fit in. so somewhere in that airframe there will be compromises to to maintain a low price to make up for that CF landing gear and accessories everyone wants.

"Spare parts" Every seller wants to make their customers happy.
In a perfect world every part of every plane in every version of every color scheme would be setting on the shelf ready to ship out to a customer.
Sadly that is not possible in the real world.
Most times another plane gets opened and parts robbed from it for the customer.

It is the same for the manufacturer. It would take many warehouses to store all the parts for every airplane they ever made. let alone the cost involved in manufacturing parts you may never sell.

Sadly the art of building has fallen to the wayside. people may not have or wish to commit the time involved to make repairs, or may not have the knowledge of how to build or repair a replacement part themselves.

"Shipping" The minimum price of shipping a 30cc kit within the U.S runs $60.00 to $100.00 by UPS
A 50cc kit is $60.00 minimum by greyhound and around $150.00 by UPS
100 to 120cc kits are about $100.00 by greyhound or $250.00 by motor freight.
anything bigger can only go motor freight and runs $250.00 and up.
getting a cowl, canopy or airframe part from China can cost $30.00 to $300.00 depending on the size of the plane.

This all just to give a small bit of perspective of a dealers side of the equation. There are exceptions but most of the dealers out there are trying to do the best job possible for their customer.
jchriste is offline Find More Posts by jchriste
Old Nov 17, 2014, 01:38 AM View Post
hoqinoffe
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,855 Posts
The above message is dot-image spam. You hardly notice the extra dot at the end of the message. Just a copy of a line of text here on RCG, plus the link to the dot-image.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:36 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,623 Posts
Who makes Limitless Aero planes (http://www.limitlessaero.com/)? I saw a giant Extra at my field and thought it flew amazingly well.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Last edited by voxel; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo fixes
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:47 AM
Tail Dragger RC
park city
Joined Jul 2004
1,152 Posts
Aeroplus rc
taildragger21 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger21
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:16 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
362 Posts
I was looking all of these vendors and also questioning quality. Was going with a Goldwing, but think I may go with a Aeroworks Extra 300. Is the quality better? There priced higher. You get what you pay for right?
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:58 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER View Post
I was looking all of these vendors and also questioning quality. Was going with a Goldwing, but think I may go with a Aeroworks Extra 300. Is the quality better? There priced higher. You get what you pay for right?
What exactly are you looking for in a plane? What sort of flight characteristics?
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:56 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Who makes Limitless Aero planes (http://www.limitlessaero.com/)? I saw a giant Extra at my field and though it amazingly well.
The better question is "What planes does LimitlessAero sell?"

He sells AeroplusRC planes. Limietless is simply an American distro for Aeroplus.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:34 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
The better question is "What planes does LimitlessAero sell?"

He sells AeroplusRC planes. Limietless is simply an American distro for Aeroplus.
I never heard of AeroplusRC before. The most common aerobatic planes I see at the fields I've visited - Sebart, 3DHS, Extreme Flight, PA, Pilot, and Carden. I've seen ONE Goldwing... an 30cc Sbach. Seemed well built.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel