HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,186 Posts
Question
Phase 3 U2 worth it

I want to buy seperate body parts to convert my powered U2 plane to a lighter weight thermal plane. Is that pratical ?
EDF powered planes EAT batteries very quickly. I have no experience with non powered gliders.
It is 66 WS & powered weighs 27 oz. with a 6 oz battery. It is a draggy bird.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,032 Posts
hi there from Toledo

hey cyclops

Well okay, the biggest drag point when converting a semi scale bird like the U2 is the air intakes for the fan. If you just block them off, drag-a-mundo! If you make some thing more aerodynamically pleasing, some sort of roughly conical caps which fill the intake holes and fit against the fuselage but smooth the airflow. Well that would help the glide tremendously but diverge from scale some more. What are you willing to put up with? More scale presentation or enhanced soaring capability. Everything in the aeroworld is about trade offs.
This is one of them.

Also a tail cone for the exhaust port will smooth the airflow too, like the space shuttles when they piggybacked on the Boeing 747, remember the tail cone?

If you make them easily removeable but secure for flight, then you have scale presentation on the ground and better soaring in the air. Just my $.02 usd.

have a cool yule, y'all. -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley