HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Flybarless helis are very hard on servos and Walkera doesn't make good ones.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:40 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Huh.. Noted.. zadaw might have swayed me to this thing.. Looks like a fun little heli, plus built fairly flexible.

Q though.. Should I be going with the DEVO7 over the 7E? Hadn't looked at them spec-per-spec yet. Know the RX can handle telemetry if flashed.. Will the 7 handle it?

Still looking it over, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing.
DarkWolf is offline Find More Posts by DarkWolf
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf View Post
I see the Master CP comes with a Devo, it's [the heli] brand new this year, no? Also see they came out with a Genuis CP V2 recently as well but it's smaller than I want.

So your saying the Master CP flies BETTER than the V200? Out of the box, or alot of tuning required?

I've certainly not written off just going with a CP. Just want to be sure I go with the right one.

Also, you say the servos are easily stripped, but it comes with WK-7.6-9s which are metal gear. Just shoddy?
It flies much better than the V200D01. The V200D01 has a very basic 3 axis gyro. For a start you have to get the heli up into the air quickly in order to get the 3 axis gyro to work. There is also a severe buckling tendency as it comes out of turns heading towards the wind. I didn't have to tune mine.

The version that I got came with 7-6-6 servos that are plastic geared. They may well have updated the model with new metal geared servos. In that case, you may not need to change them. You better double check on this because I am still seeing 7-6-6 in the description of some site.

The Devo 7 is cumbersome to program and does not have telemetry. The Devo 7e has a better interface but less switches. There had also been been some complaints about the gimbal sticks. The safest transmitter to go for would be the Devo 10 but that would be more expensive. You should also note that the Master CP does not come with telemetry enabled. You need to update the firmware with an adapter which you need to buy in order to have telemetry

The main attraction of this heli is that it is built like a tank. Walkera is using a type of thick plastic which they have never used before. I am still using the same main and tail blades, main and feathering shaft, canopy and skids after 20 crashes.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Thanks for the input. Why do you think the Devo 10 is better to go with over the Devo 7e? I looked over the manual helipal has on their site for the MCP and saw that the Devo 7e menu is convoluted, but understood it. I'm in IT and do systems development programming, so I can wrap my brain around most menus.

I like the idea of telemetry and saw that it took extra hardware as well as an RX flashing. Was wondering though, which aftermarket RX's work with the Devo TX.. And if any of those would support telemetry hardware, or if that functionality is proprietary.

I do like how it's constructed and the research I'd done on it so far has really made it even more appealing to me. Seems like it really is built like a tank, can be a lightning fast firefly or tuned down to be as gentle as a kitten.

So in your usage and said 20 crashes, what HAVE you had to replace? And what are your opinions on that stock main brushed motor?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Why do you think the Devo 10 is better to go with over the Devo 7e? I looked over the manual helipal has on their site for the MCP and saw that the Devo 7e menu is convoluted, but understood it. I'm in IT and do systems development programming, so I can wrap my brain around most menus.

I like the idea of telemetry and saw that it took extra hardware as well as an RX flashing. Was wondering though, which aftermarket RX's work with the Devo TX.. And if any of those would support telemetry hardware, or if that functionality is proprietary.

I do like how it's constructed and the research I'd done on it so far has really made it even more appealing to me. Seems like it really is built like a tank, can be a lightning fast firefly or tuned down to be as gentle as a kitten.

So in your usage and said 20 crashes, what HAVE you had to replace? And what are your opinions on that stock main brushed motor?
The Devo 10 is a full size transmitter and the Devo 7E is a mini size transmitter and that is about all. There is a third party firmware available for Devo transmitters which will make it compatible with DSM2 and other protocols at the same time. In theory, you can use cheap Orange DSM2 receivers from HobbyKing. However, I would be hesitant to use it in larger helis or long range aircraft. At the moment, the Deviation firmware is only available for Devo 6, 8, and 10. There are a number of standalone receivers available from Walkera that are compatible with Devo radios. However, the telemetry module is sold separately and could be quite expensive.

The main gear is usually the only thing that is damaged along with the servos. Since I am using Futaba S3114 servos, I cannot put all the blade on Walkera. The brushed main and tail motors are the same used on the V400D02 that have a poor reputation. However, since it is a 250 sized heli, the load on the motors are not as much and therefore should last longer. I did noticed a reduction in power after 70 flights. However, I could still fly some 3D with it.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Well, looks to be $30 more for the Devo 10 @ Helipal (are there any other places to buy that you can recommend.. maybe US based so I DON'T have to wait 2+ weeks?)... And they offer it with the Devo 8S for like $90 more, which I doubt would be worth it just for the color LCD and touch screen.

I always like the idea of going with the best TX you can and considering it'd be a start over for me (all my old equipment is non 2.4) it might very well be worth the extra $$.. But then, the Devo 10 does not do the telemetry though... BUT, as you say the 7E (and most likely 8S) can not be third party flashed.

They also have the F7 coming out soon.. Yay FPV.. But I bet it'll cost. Pre-order I saw somewhere had it at $290.

Well, I'm certainly sold on the MCP... Now the question is really, which TX to get.. Choices choices...

Devo 7E
Devo 10
Devo 8S

I doubt I can swallow the extra $60 on TOP of the extra $30 for the Devo 10 to get the 8S with the flashy touch screen and color. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it anyway... Which puts me chewing the bit over the 7E vs 10, which as I understand it run the same exact menu.. Light and portable with telemetry vs full size, more model memory and channels.

Or maybe it's tell to sell off old equipment and offset the 8S costs... Which puts me chewing the bit over the 8S or 10..
Last edited by DarkWolf; Dec 09, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
The DEVO 10 has telemetry...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:16 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Yeah, I saw that... Still undecided.. Which brings me to.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Factoring out the cash influence and thinking in a future minded expandability state... Would you..

A) Go with the Devo 10 -- or..
B) Go with the Devo 8S

Which one and why?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Which one and why?
In the factory form, the DEVO 10 it the best tx for the money:
- The two additional pots could be invaluable if you need it.
- The display is more readable in the sun.
- It also has the telemetry settings on a per model basis, unlike the 8, which got telemetry posteriorly, and they didn't change the model format to stay compatible. (It is not a factor if you use deviation.)
- Vibrating alert.

However I like the touch screen interface of the 8 very much...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I had the Devo 8S for a few days and found that I couldn't read the display in sunlight. My LHS offered to exchange it for a 10 or 12S. In the end, I opted for the 12S because I really liked the touch screen.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 AM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Well, the 12S is way out of my range of what I'd like to spend. Not sure that I could ever warrant the giant leap in price.. Plus I don't see any comboed up with it.

Well, my eye sight is fine, so the smaller text on the 8S should not be an issue.. In terms of the LCD in sun light, not sure that'd be a big issue.. I mean, how often would I really be looking at the LCD once the model is set and the various flight modes are set up.

FDR_, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the telemetry? Chances are I'd be using deviation as the firmware, though I do not like the looks of the GUI.. But then, in practice it may very well work better.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
FDR_, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the telemetry?
I'm comparing the capabilities of the DEVO 8 and 10 with original Walkera firmware.

The DEVO 8 had no telemetry when it was introduced, so later they relased the 8S with telemetry, but they (Walkera) didn't changed the model config format, so the telemetry options (i.e. is it enabled or not, what alarms are set to what levels) are generic to the whole transmitter, not per model.
However the DEVO 10 supports telemetry from the beginning, so it allows to set the telemetry options for each model.

If you will use deviation, it doesn't matter at all, but in the original state the DEVO 10 is more advanced...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Well, decided to bump up and go with the 8S instead. Though the 12 is surely something to drool over and I'd have loved to do that. Just couldn't jump that far. Ah well.. In a few years something better will be out anyway.

Thanks for the input and direction!